PDA

View Full Version : TO hondata or Not to Hondata.. thoughts welcome.

02blksi
02-23-2003, 03:34 PM
Well,
Im at a crossroad now, i have spent the last week searching and snooping everywhere on the internet to learn more about the pros/cons of the K20A3 reflash for the si. Im currently about 85% optimistic that i will send my ecu out this week, but questions on the worthines of the mod still lingers. Thoughts opnions?? what does everyone think? AZ, MYever, REdronin,rick, you guys have the flash fill me in......thanks in advance --Joe :)

HondaCivicSi
02-23-2003, 03:46 PM
I'd be all for buying it too if I had some hard evidence that the motor can take the 7700 rmp redline. I'm worried that I'd get it and a month later I would need a new engine. Do you guys think the K20A3 can take it?

lewjay
02-23-2003, 04:15 PM
I'd hold off.

There's still no proof of ANY gains for a car with i/h/e (still waiting on Rick77f's dyno).

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
02-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by lewjay
I'd hold off.

There's still no proof of ANY gains for a car with i/h/e (still waiting on Rick77f's dyno).

I agree...I'd wait for some PROVEN results (unbiased)...
If it wasn't so damn expensive i'd say jump on it...
But i dunno bout you, I don't take spending $600+ lightly...

02blksi
02-23-2003, 07:03 PM
well to be honest, im itching to spend some money, Im either all for the ecu , or my NX kit. I cant use the ECU with my NX kit so that kinda is setting me back as far as getting the ecu is concerned, IM not looking to run an extreme shot rather a mere 50 shot daily driven for those "intresting" ocasions. But the ecu in itself is a nice thing to have for reliabitlity and the fact that the redline is rasied. (that itself may be the deciding factor for me)... I dunno.. Im going to give hondata a call tomorrow and see what Doug's got to say, if i like what i hear and how the tuning has been tweaked since its release ill get the ecu, and put the nitrous kit on the back burner for now.. On the other foot if i dont like what i hear, Well theres a nice groupbuy on groupbuycenter.com for NX kits right now... :) ---TO think i promised myself Id NEVER MOD again!!1 Boy was i wrong. --seems to me like im starting off where i left on my other car..

timeline of other car:
purchased car and modded
engine swapped
nitrous
Turbo
Sold it

New car
purcahsed car and modded
ecu?
nitrous?
engine swap?
Turbo?

Hmmmm what to do......--Joe .

chet
02-23-2003, 09:26 PM
What about the AEM ems? Fully programmable for the current mods and can keep programming for future mods including turbo and Nitrous. Pricey though. Another thread says $1300. So if you're looking to spend $$. . .:eek:

I keep thinking that before I start going too fast, new brakes would be good. Just a thought. That's next for me--brakes from DocofMind

Jpax
02-23-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by chet

I keep thinking that before I start going too fast, new brakes would be good. Just a thought. That's next for me--brakes from DocofMind

I taught you well young padawan......DOCOMind is your brake kits Supplier HE OWNs U and me :)

Joe think about it you have 4 peeps in the car you going around a nice curve and tap the brakes then FACKING ABS or FADE starts kicking in....no no no no no nooooooooooo

You need the brake kit.. your running 16" right?

I would wait for Hondata...
:rolleyes:

I have to admit they Skirred me.....with the Detonation going on at the last Dyno i was at here in seattle :(

redronin22
02-23-2003, 10:44 PM
I think the raised rev limit is definitely worth it. The detonation is solved since they retarded the timing. Its not AS fast as they claim though. Its not a full second off 0-60 maybe in the hands of a good driver it might be but im not a very good racer. hehe. Anyways a Hondata can pull nicely on a stock car even with a bad launch as i witnessed today.

besides if u dont like it they have a 30 day full money back gaurantee. if that eases your mind. BTW about the car being able to take it or not ive had it for a month and i beat the fuggin shit outta my car and it still takes it and ask for more. I hit over 7k everyday it seems and the car takes it well. Anyone in socal need a ride let me know aight? pm me or AIM me at sihatch02 feel free to gimmee a holla

JEDI-SI
02-23-2003, 10:47 PM
Just go hondata ...Hondata will back you up all the way, 30 day's is more than enough time to see if you like it..Dont wait get it as soon as you can. I have money to spend to, ill probably go with Hondata,t/b,port and polish head work as soon as I get more details!......n/a

tkm
02-24-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by PaXiE

I taught you well young padawan......DOCOMind is your brake kits Supplier HE OWNs U and me :)

Joe think about it you have 4 peeps in the car you going around a nice curve and tap the brakes then FACKING ABS or FADE starts kicking in....no no no no no nooooooooooo

You need the brake kit.. your running 16" right?

Big brake kits are a waste unless you find that your oem brakes with upgraded pads/rotors can't slow you down in a roadrace type of setting. For the street, give me a good set of pads/fluid and I'll come within 5 feet of your stopping distance with upgraded everything (FWIW, the grip of the tires has more affect on stopping distances). And who the heck uses brakes so much on the street that they get fade?

Anyhow, on the Hondata issue--just having an increased redline will net you a much faster 0-60 time because you are throwing out the shift. A time to distance (1/4 mile) is a better measure of performance than time to speed (0-60).

Do I think it's worth $600? No. For what it does, more like $350 or so, keeping in line with other aftermarket chips (like the Neuspeed chip for VW's).

Jpax
02-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by tkm

And who the heck uses brakes so much on the street that they get fade?

You obviously haven't seen my new videos of Auto cross... Horable brakes on my car... my EK has better brakes then my Si and BMX278639968298723 can vouch for that..:rolleyes:

I don't care what U think I m getting them and U are going to LOVE it....:D ;)

tkm
02-24-2003, 02:40 PM

You obviously haven't seen my new videos of Auto cross... Horable brakes on my car... my EK has better brakes then my Si and BMX278639968298723 can vouch for that..:rolleyes:

I don't care what U think I m getting them and U are going to LOVE it....:D ;)

Brake fade at an autox? Have you tried changing pads and fluids? If so, quit dragging the brake all the way around the course.

I've autoxed a lot of cars in the several past years, and the folks who did the pad/fluids never have any problems with fade. Stock everything, yeah--you're gonna get some fade. Plus, a brake upgrade throws you into a higher class.

Cone Killer
02-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by tkm

Brake fade at an autox? Have you tried changing pads and fluids? If so, quit dragging the brake all the way around the course.

I've autoxed a lot of cars in the several past years, and the folks who did the pad/fluids never have any problems with fade. Stock everything, yeah--you're gonna get some fade. Plus, a brake upgrade throws you into a higher class.

I agree with what tkm is saying. The brakes are great, it's just the tires holding you back. I'm at the top of my class with stock brakes, but I have azenis and they have really good grip, which is why I can brake fine. As far as fade goes, I don't think I've EVER been at a course where I had to use full braking power more than once or twice per run, not enough in my opinion to generate too much heat.

myeverlovinsir
02-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Joe, get the tune. We will soon know how well the tune works with nitrous when edelbrock and hondata do their testing, which should be soon, if it has not already happend. You will enjoy your car with the hondata tune, no doubt. The nitrous or any other boost mod will likely mean its time for you to sell again? I don't know, but the A3 can handle quite a bit. The hondata tune also will increase your gas milage due to the adv. timing. when you drive normally. I think this was one of the nicer side effects from the tune. I would decide what boost to run after you get the tune, you will enjoy it more while deciding what to boost it with.:D

JEDI-SI
02-24-2003, 06:02 PM
If Hondata can make there flash work with a 50 shot of nitrous that's probably the rout ill go...So I guess ill just wait untill I here more about the new upgrade....Hondata no dout

Tekdemon
02-24-2003, 11:46 PM

Uhhh I *want* ABS to kick in so the tires don't lock...locked tires don't slow you down at all and only destroy your turning ability...
If these brake kits mess up the ABS then I probably won't upgrade now...