PDA

View Full Version : S2000 (a True Performance Machine)

Pradamuimui
02-23-2003, 07:45 PM
This last week my friend bought a brand new Satin Silver S2000. So the weekend comes up and we ride down to one of the local race spots, an industrial park known as Fairfax here in Kansas City. Nothing but 2 miles of straight aways. PERFECT for racing. So he picks me up and we head down to the races, since it was my first time riding in a S2000 as you can imagine I was in HEAVEN!! I was soooo impressed on the awesome power of the Vtec 4 cylinder under the hood, that produces more horse power per liter then any other motor in the world...and how it just wanted to climb, and climb all the way to its 9000rpm redline. How smooth the Vtec crossover was, and just how much the S2000 reminded of a Formula One race car. Its handling was INCREDIBLE, better then any car that I had ever been in. H.I.D. lights, digital gauge cluster, OMG...the cars a dream!! So we get to the races and we find this guy with a new Cobra SVT Mustang who wants to race. So my friend races him twice, and they were both neck and neck both races. It was an awesome night, and if you ever have the chance to either own one, or even just take a ride in one, it will change the way that you look at all around performance FOREVER!!!

02TafWhtSi
02-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Pradamuimui
I was soooo impressed on the awesome power of the Vtec 4 cylinder under the hood, that produces more horse power per liter then any other motor in the world

Don't forget to say "Naturally Aspirated":)
I totally agree - if I had the means... so choice!!:D

ADMstunna
02-23-2003, 08:14 PM
i hope he has more than 600 miles doin all that racing.....and you should drive it urself. its a lotta better than riding shotgun. u havent felt the car till u drive it.

Lev
02-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Hey, I'm in Kansas City, too. PM sometime and we'll go out to the track and see what's up.

Mulder
02-23-2003, 08:36 PM
What an awsome ride. I test drove a used S2000 from a Honda dealer a couple of months ago. I told the sales woman I wanted to feel how the car performed, she said Ok, so off we went. After a short cruise up the highway we turned around. From 1st gear I took the car up to the redline, grabbed 2nd gear up to redline, grabbed third and noticed the sales woman looking at me funny, so I slowed it down. What a rush, feeling the engine pull and hearing it wind to 9000 rpm.

Mugen Power
02-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Don't mean to bust your chops but you mean Sebring Silver, not Satin Silver right? :p

BTW, I felt the same way the first time I got a ride in an S2000. :)

Az02Si
02-23-2003, 08:40 PM
The s2k MUST be broken in properly before ANY spirited driving is done.............MUST.....

its raining
02-23-2003, 09:17 PM
s2000's are yummy. i fell in love with one on saturday night. i was at a meet, and two s2000's pulled up to a light to race. one was the plain old silver. the other one was the newer red hardtop with a subtle kit sitting on some spoons. wow. i want a red hard top s2000 now.

chunky
02-23-2003, 09:20 PM
This last week my friend bought a brand new Satin Silver S2000. So the weekend comes up and we ride down to one of the local race spots, an industrial park known as Fairfax here in Kansas City. Nothing but 2 miles of straight aways. PERFECT for racing. So he picks me up and we head down to the races, since it was my first time riding in a S2000 as you can imagine I was in HEAVEN!! I was soooo impressed on the awesome power of the Vtec 4 cylinder under the hood, that produces more horse power per liter then any other motor in the world...and how it just wanted to climb, and climb all the way to its 9000rpm redline. How smooth the Vtec crossover was, and just how much the S2000 reminded of a Formula One race car. Its handling was INCREDIBLE, better then any car that I had ever been in. H.I.D. lights, digital gauge cluster, OMG...the cars a dream!! So we get to the races and we find this guy with a new Cobra SVT Mustang who wants to race. So my friend races him twice, and they were both neck and neck both races. It was an awesome night, and if you ever have the chance to either own one, or even just take a ride in one, it will change the way that you look at all around performance FOREVER!!!

if it was a new cobra SVT, there is No way in hell an s2000 could take it unless the driver was totally lame. and even then, there would be no neck and neck business, the cobra would catch it, and pass it.

s2000 is a great car, but drag racing it is such a waste.

Brettnyt
02-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by its raining
s2000's are yummy. i fell in love with one on saturday night. i was at a meet, and two s2000's pulled up to a light to race. one was the plain old silver. the other one was the newer red hardtop with a subtle kit sitting on some spoons. wow. i want a red hard top s2000 now.

My girlfriends dad has an S2K that is red with a hardtop.... I get to see that thing many times each weekend, but still havent gotten to ride in it... :( He likes my Si tho, so I told him that I will trade him for a day... ;) :p I love that car, but he needs exhaust, a kit, a drop, rims, and Black housed headlights....

BTW- Saw a slightly modified Z4 today, and DAYUM, it looked GOOD! had a sweet set of BMW rollers on it with some massive stoppers to back it up. The tail lights were clear too (not altezzas, just a white/clear textured cover with blue bulbs... legal? I think not.... still looked nice) Looked like he had a drop too... Too bad it was a 2.5L instead of the 3...

IceD out N CALI
02-23-2003, 10:52 PM
yeah those s2k's are rev happy mofos

2k2_nbp_egg
02-23-2003, 11:30 PM

Mmmm S2000. Got to mess around in my friend's dad's red one, very impressive. Well, as impressive as a 2 liter can get, and then some :) But i'll be honest, there's no way, even with a dumbass behind the wheel, that the SVT could have lost to the S. Even with a dumbass driving, that car is still capable of a mid 13 stock which the S is not. I think the SVT has damn near a second on it in the quarter, think about, blown V8 vs high revving 2L. As for the interior, yes, its very nice, but i would take a track 350 w/ DVD over that in a SECOND. And the vtec crossover isn't too smooth....the weak cam is complete ass and the strong cam kicks. Oh well, time for a bowl and passing out :o

SiR Medic
02-24-2003, 05:19 PM
I love the S2000!

Small, light, no roof, rear drive, A TRUE SPORTS CAR!

The only thing it needs is a real set of gauges, not those things salvaged from the '84 Corvette!:confused:

Once the EP is paid off, and if I'm not married...:D

Silver7
02-24-2003, 05:42 PM

granted, s2k is a great car.. but u took it to 2mile staight ways? and u test its good handling by.. going straight..? and neck and neck with SVT .. again going straight..?:rolleyes:

Pradamuimui
02-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Maybe we were racing against a person who didn't know how to drive his Cobra SVT?? Im not saying that the S2000 is faster then a SVT Cobra. However I am saying that the S2000 is a MUCH BETTER CAR OVERALL then any Mustang I've ever seen. It is one, if not the best 4 cylinder NATURALLY ASPIRATED MOTOR around. Besides Ford's...no matter how much faster the SVT Cobra is over the S2k the S2k is still a far better of a car. Lets check at 50k miles and see which one is still running strong? I doubt that it will be the crapstang!!

Dunrick
02-24-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg

Mmmm S2000. Got to mess around in my friend's dad's red one, very impressive. Well, as impressive as a 2 liter can get, and then some :) But i'll be honest, there's no way, even with a dumbass behind the wheel, that the SVT could have lost to the S. Even with a dumbass driving, that car is still capable of a mid 13 stock which the S is not. I think the SVT has damn near a second on it in the quarter, think about, blown V8 vs high revving 2L. As for the interior, yes, its very nice, but i would take a track 350 w/ DVD over that in a SECOND. And the vtec crossover isn't too smooth....the weak cam is complete ass and the strong cam kicks. Oh well, time for a bowl and passing out :o

What do the S2k's run roughly in the 1/4?

Pradamuimui
02-24-2003, 09:27 PM
I believe that they run a 14.1 around the same time that the 350 Z's run.

hamproof
02-25-2003, 08:58 AM
You are mistaken young one. It is Rustang to you. Together with the Exploder and Hocus Pocus, die Ford die! Turd!

atl-si
02-25-2003, 09:27 AM
Once I finish school, the S2000 is definitely the car I'm getting if I'm buying a $30k vehicle.

HondaMan
02-25-2003, 09:46 AM
I agree, S2000's are SWEET! I drove my sister's S2000 about 2 years ago (she got it when it first came out) and I got it up to almost 120mph on some country roads. Revving it hard the whole time and my buddy was with me. It was certainly a joy ride for us!!!

Then, sadly almost a year ago my bother-in-law was going to fast in a GA rain storm passing a truck and hydro planned and totaled the S2000. :( Luckily, they were okay...the S2000 is a tough little car...they even flipped it a couple of times. I was hoping to buy it from them some day... :'(

Shark
02-25-2003, 10:23 AM
Maybe we were racing against a person who didn't know how to drive his Cobra SVT?? Im not saying that the S2000 is faster then a SVT Cobra. However I am saying that the S2000 is a MUCH BETTER CAR OVERALL then any Mustang I've ever seen. It is one, if not the best 4 cylinder NATURALLY ASPIRATED MOTOR around. Besides Ford's...no matter how much faster the SVT Cobra is over the S2k the S2k is still a far better of a car. Lets check at 50k miles and see which one is still running strong? I doubt that it will be the crapstang!!

Funny, I drove my '98 Cobra for 82,000 tire smoking miles and never had anything break. So much for your ignorant theory. Stop wasting hard drive space on stupid posts like this.

In terms of engineering, there is no comparison between the S2000 and Cobra. Nevertheless, the S2000 felt much more fragile and no where near as bulletproof as my Cobra.

S800Racer
02-25-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
I love the S2000!

... no rear seat, no hatch, small trunk. Of course I love the S2k -- It IS an awesome ride. But I would not want one as my daily driver. I already have a Honda Oddysey for family hauling, trailer towing and wife's daily driver. I love the Si for daily driving with room for hauling stuff when necessary. It would be cool to have an S2K to complete the all-Honda line-up.

I've got the next best thing - My father has an S2K (with an HKS cat-back) and I get to borrow it when he is out of town.

HondaMan
02-25-2003, 10:52 AM
I agree, S2000's are SWEET! I drove my sister's S2000 about 2 years ago (she got it when it first came out) and I got it up to almost 120mph on some country roads. Revving it hard the whole time and my buddy was with me. It was certainly a joy ride for us!!!

Then, sadly almost a year ago my bother-in-law was going to fast in a GA rain storm passing a truck and hydro planned and totaled the S2000. :( Luckily, they were okay...the S2000 is a tough little car...they even flipped it a couple of times. I was hoping to buy it from them some day... :'(

Gasp23
02-25-2003, 12:10 PM
I love the s2000, it's my dream sport car. As soon as I pay my Si I will by an s2000 for the weekends. It should be sweet! I guess I should test drive one :o

Pradamuimui
02-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Shark

Funny, I drove my '98 Cobra for 82,000 tire smoking miles and never had anything break. So much for your ignorant theory. Stop wasting hard drive space on stupid posts like this.

In terms of engineering, there is no comparison between the S2000 and Cobra. Nevertheless, the S2000 felt much more fragile and no where near as bulletproof as my Cobra.

He bought a FORD!!!:D :D :p :D :p :eek:

S800Racer
02-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic

I already have the original S-car: An S800. The S2000 continues the tradition that began with the S600 and S800 of a small, light, rear-drive sports car with a technologically advanced, NA 4-cyl. with the highest specific output (HP per liter).

HondaMan
02-25-2003, 01:25 PM
Sweet S800!

2k2_nbp_egg
02-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Since when does a true sports car not have a roof? Actually, if im not mistaken the sportier handling versions of certain cars are not convertible because of the softer chassis and added weight...i.e. Z06, certain older vipers...and even the new S2200 (yes it is coming out ) I think the average S gets about a low 14 second QM, and high 13 with a good driver. But from what ive seen, the 350 walks over the S at high speeds, has a much better interior, and looks a little better IMO. Thats ok, honda fixes that with the S2200 fo sho :)

Pradamuimui
02-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Since when does a true sports car not have a roof? Actually, if im not mistaken the sportier handling versions of certain cars are not convertible because of the softer chassis and added weight...i.e. Z06, certain older vipers...and even the new S2200 (yes it is coming out ) I think the average S gets about a low 14 second QM, and high 13 with a good driver. But from what ive seen, the 350 walks over the S at high speeds, has a much better interior, and looks a little better IMO. Thats ok, honda fixes that with the S2200 fo sho :)

I there any information out about the new S2200?? If there is links would eb appreciated. Thanks.

2k2_nbp_egg
02-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Hmm, yea the official one they unveiled at an autoshow is my background on my computer. Some jackasses called me out on it not existing and i posted some links to articles online and the S2ki forum threads on it....im too lazy to find it tho :p Just do a search in this forum for the S2200. It should be under a thread called vtec sweet vtec.

golferjn
02-25-2003, 07:27 PM
s2000, yummy. really nice car

Mugen Power
02-25-2003, 09:37 PM
The S2200 is supposed to have a bored out F20C (hence the 2200) with around 250hp... It's also in coupe form, dunno what's gonna happen to the drop, though.

Dunrick
02-25-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by S800Racer

I already have the original S-car: An S800. The S2000 continues the tradition that began with the S600 and S800 of a small, light, rear-drive sports car with a technologically advanced, NA 4-cyl. with the highest specific output (HP per liter).

Whats the specs on that s800?

(weight, hp, trq, displacement, redline, etc etc)

SiR Medic
02-26-2003, 07:29 AM
Since when does a true sports car not have a roof? Actually, if im not mistaken the sportier handling versions of certain cars are not convertible because of the softer chassis and added weight...i.e. Z06, certain older vipers...and even the new S2200 (yes it is coming out ) I

When I speak of a "true" sports-car, I speak of "classic" sports-cars like the Jaguar XK120, Triumph TR3 and Ausin-Healey Sprite.

1/4 mile times and skid-pad melting handling is all well and good... But nothing compares to feeling the sun in your face and the wind in your hair.

I love my SiR, but when I drove my uncle's Miata last summer, I could definately see the appeal. Yes the SiR is a better performer in almost every respect, but the Miata still won be over with it's charm. The prevailing thought in my mind was: "Imagine how fun this would be with another 100 horsepower! Hey I just described the S2000!"

The main attribute of any sports-car is not power, handling, or chassis stiffness. The main attribute of a TRUE sports-car is how fun it is.

To me, cruising around with the top down is just as much fun as clipping an apex... That's what makes the S2000 so attractive to me: The ability to go for a nice relaxing cruise with the top down or... Putting your right side Nike down and takin' care of Bid'ness!:D

My $0.02 (Canadian)

S800Racer
02-26-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Dunrick

Whats the specs on that s800?

(weight, hp, trq, displacement, redline, etc etc)

Stock: about 1700lbs
791cc DOHC, 2-valve per cyl. all needle bearing crankshaft, equal length tuned 4 into 2 exhaust w/mandrel-bent tubes. Redline @ 8500rpm but tach reads to 11,000 and of course no rev limiters in 1967!:D The stock valves springs were good to about 11,000rpm and the rods/crank to 13,000+ so 10,000 is no problem for a stock S800.
Stock HP was rated at 70 which sounds puny until you realize that it put out more power than the bigger engines in the Sprite and Spitfire (948cc and 1147cc motors)
Top speed: 95-100mph

Vintage racer specs:
845cc w/ ported head & uprated valve springs, lightweight valves & pistons, race spec cams, 4 into 1 exhaust.
Redline? I shift at around 10,000 but it can go higher. I have missed shifts and buzzed it to 12,000 rpm more than once:o without harm to the motor.
Weight: about 1500lbs
HP: (engine dyno) about 120HP at 9500rpm. I have dyno runs as high as 129 HP but I think the 120 is more accurate number.
Torque: not much! about 75 at 8500rpm.
Top speed: I have seen 120+ on the track. Don't know how fast it would go if given more room to wind up.
We race at tracks up and down the East coast at various vintage racing events

My Dad's race car is even cooler: 1969 NTM D Sports racer
all fiberglass monocoque chassis
Honda S800 engine w/ Hewland 5 speed
weight of about 1,000lbs.
This thing flies!

BlasTech
02-26-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by S800Racer

Weight: about 1500lbs
HP: (engine dyno) about 120HP at 9500rpm. I have dyno runs as high as 129 HP but I think the 120 is more accurate number.

1500lbs + 120HP = pretty quick!
:cool:

Dunrick
02-26-2003, 09:25 AM
I would say High 14's fo shizzo! Ontop of that its a vintage honda racer - Mmmmmm

Mugen Power
02-26-2003, 10:08 AM
Out of curiosity, how'd you come across an S800 and are you the original owner? To my understanding, barely any were legally imported to the US for sale back in the day...

S800Racer
02-26-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech

1500lbs + 120HP = pretty quick!
:cool:

Yep, it has better HP/weight ratio than my EP so it does accelerate a bit faster. Really not set up for 1/4 mile -- it would be horrible off the line. Maybe with a beefier clutch you could drop the hammer at 8,000 rpm to avoid bogging down at the launch.
If you really want to get crazy, take an S800 Coupe (that's right, even the S2200 is not a new concept for Honda!) and wedge a race prepped B18 or K20A into it for the 1/4 mile. The S800 is very small and narrow with a small frontal area. With real power and rwd, it could be pretty interesting.
;)
"Out of curiosity, how'd you come across an S800 and are you the original owner? To my understanding, barely any were legally imported to the US for sale back in the day..."

My Dad vintage raced this S800 from '86 to '93 until he got his DSR. I have been racing it since '93. The car was sold new in Scotland (according to it's registration) and we bought it from someone in England. None were ever sold in the US. Maybe a few hundred S600 & S800's were brought into the country, most by G.I.'s stationed overseas. There are probably not more than a few dozen running examples currently in the country.
Total orginal production of S800's was about 6,000 coupes and 6,000 convertibles.