PDA

View Full Version : sub box question

Pinoy84
02-24-2003, 02:17 AM
ok, so I went on to buying two alpine type r's 10 inch, an alpine mrd -500 but just waiting for the box. The specification say a .6-.8 sealed enclosure is recommended. I bought a 2.1 cubic feet box so 1.05 each side( not shared ). I am not sure the space the subs take up but I think I read .1 or something so its around .95 each side. My question is how exactly does box size affect the sound of the subs? Also, how would poly fill affect the sound of a sub and would I benefit from poly filling my box with that stuff? also, does shared or non shared interior box volume affect anything at all?

Nosjunke
02-26-2003, 02:21 PM
No one's replied so I figured I'd help you out, if you still need it. First, you won't need fiberfill/polyfill since your box is big enough. It is used for boxes that are too small. Their is more involved, but that's good enough answer for that. The more airspace in a sealed box the boomier it'll sound. Since the box wasn't computer modeled or cutsom built to specs, then you really don't know how they will preform until you load them in your car. If the box is really small and your shoving a 15" sub in like a cubic foot, then it won't be as boomy and sound like crap. Since the reccomended is .6-.8 then your only a little larger and your sound will most likely go unaffected. It'll boom, but won't be as tight or accurate. Enjoy!

03hatch
02-26-2003, 08:09 PM
its better if you follow the box size the subs need cause if the box is too big then then it will sound retared. some 12in need .75 cubic feet...thats small and if the box is bigger than .75 then it will sound funny hope that helps:cool:

BarracksSi
02-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Or, you could add something like styrofoam blocks to take away some of the internal volume, making the box appear smaller to the sub. Just because the box's exterior is one size doesn't mean that its interior can be smaller.

Just tape or glue 'em down so that they don't shake & rattle all over the place...

Pinoy84
02-27-2003, 12:48 AM
Ok, I am planning to reduce interior volume with something. Should I just use wood? I am afraid to use styrafoam because I dont want it to rattle or be heard at all. I kinda feel wood is a more precise material with perfect flat edges and greater density I guess but does it really matter. If not I'll probably go out tomorrow and buy styrafoam.

Nosjunke
02-27-2003, 11:23 AM
I won't worry about buying anything to put in their, but if you must a little block of wood will do. The change in sound is going to be unnoticed. For two reasons; 1st we don't know the resonant frequency of our cars and 2nd because we don't know what kind of bass hump you'll get with that particular box in your car. I'm sure it'll sound fine the way it is. I've only done installs for the last 10 years on over 100 cars. Trust me on this, your ear is not that calibrated that you'll notice a difference in 40 hertz and 43 hertz. Only a machine will know that your frequency response is a tad off.