PDA

View Full Version : For those with aftermarket mufflers and midpipes!!

Chrisbgft
02-24-2003, 09:28 PM
Hey, i was wondering how your guys exhausts are set up. Do u have a newmidpipe and the aftermarket muffler is welded onto the stock axelback? Or did u get a whole new custom catback including the axelback? What was the difference in price for each of these?

Peking
02-24-2003, 09:43 PM
Since there were no available exhausts at the time I decided to go with a custom midpipe which I directly connected to a aftermarket muffler. The pipe was like 60-70 dollars and the muffler from Skunk2 cost 223 dollars at the time. Overall I was satisfied with the outcome. It sounded great even with the silencer in, and it saved me money. Compared to cat backs that have come out now. My gas milage also went up a good bit. There was some draw backs. At first the exhaust was to low, causing it to hit the rear swaybar. Took it back, they adjusted it to where it was to high and touched the back bumper. When I got home the place where it touched was already melted off. After the second time I knew it was two high, but somehow from the shop to my home the hanger welds didn't drop as much as they told me it would. Learned a lesson.

Peking
02-24-2003, 09:45 PM
did you have any problems like that?

Chrisbgft
02-25-2003, 09:22 PM
yea, thats a very nice looking exhaust, but u really didnt answer my question. See u look under the stock EP, there is a pipe from the cat to about the back wheels. Then another part that goes over the rear stabilizer bar. I was wondering if everyone had a the WHOLE piping remade or just the pipe that connects the axelback and that cat. thanx for the info though, much appreciated

Jpax
02-25-2003, 09:33 PM
:D

Peking
02-25-2003, 09:38 PM
sorry, I'll take a pic and post it later. The shop used a cush bend to bend the pipe over the rear sway. In my friends 99 civic he just bought the muffler and the shop cut the oem muffler off after the flange in the rear and welded his new muffler to it. I show you a pic of that as well. Two different ways to do it. Or buy a cat-back system. This might not answer your question as well, but it's late and I think I'm close???