PDA

View Full Version : Dim Headlight?????

I-Vtec..DO-U (New name: SIxtacy)
02-25-2003, 12:55 AM
Has anyone else had the problem of one headlight being ON but very dim? I have had the car for 5 days and switched the stock bulbs for PIAA H4's. No problems until last night when I pulled into the garage and noticed that the left light was dim. I flicked the brights on/off and then it came back to normal. Then today I'm leaving work and the same shit, but I wouldn't switch on to full power. I thought maybe it was the 15 degree weather, so I drove home 30 miles and hoped it would warm up, but still nothing. So I swapped in the stock Headlights, checked the fuses....... NOTHING. Then I go flick the HIGH/LOW switch like crazy and it Finally kicks on. I checked all the wiring and its all clean. I suspect it might the Relay that kicks on the lights. But why wouldn't the other light be affected? I did realize that the relay that kicks over when the lights are activated is kinda loud on my car. Well, enough ranting, just wondering if anyone else experienced this too? I'm going to the dealership Thursday to check it out. Laterz.

- Jeffrey - :eek:

HgSi
02-25-2003, 07:06 PM
The same thing happened to my dad's old Chrysler when I changed the headlight bulbs. One light became pretty dim, and a few weeks later cut out completely. It turned out the harness got overheated and got screwed up, beause in my infinite wisdom, I put in overwatt bulbs.

As for the relay, mine is pretty audible too. I think that's normal, because headlights are a pretty heavy duty circuit.

02-26-2003, 11:00 AM
I know the thing about bulbs with too much wattage. The PIAA's that I put in are the same wattage as the stocks. I went to the dealer and scheduled an appointment for next week. He said he had never heard of anything like that. The messed up part is - if the light not dim when i bring it in, the probably won't find out the problem. Laterz.

- jeffrey -

Si4U2NV
02-27-2003, 05:51 PM
same thing happened to my Si... Open the fuse box under your hood and check that the RELAY for ur LEFT HEADLIGHT is in there FIRM... push it in see wha happenz to the light...if itz better then itz a LOOSE RELAY...if this is the case...turn off your car, take out the relay and bend the tabz on the bottom JUST A BIT so it will hold... i did that and my lightz been fine since....

-Mike:)

PS- sorry bout the long post...hope this helpz tho...:)

02-27-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanx man. It's been fine since the other night but if it happens again, I'll try this out if it happens again. laterz

- Jeffrey -

Si4U2NV
02-27-2003, 07:08 PM
aiight man... :) ...

no problem...anytime...

-Mike