PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid same as clutch fluid?

i-WERKS
02-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Quick question. I went to the dealer for a oil change and they said that my clutch fluid is really black. They showed me but the cap on the tank says it's brake fluid. Is it the same?

chunky
02-25-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
Quick question. I went to the dealer for a oil change and they said that my clutch fluid is really black. They showed me but the cap on the tank says it's brake fluid. Is it the same?

clutch fluid is usually a dot3 fluid, and brake fluid is dot4.

There are some dot4 fluids that are backwards compatible with dot3, but they're essentially the same.

So yeah, just b/c the cap on the clutch fluid resivoir says dot3 fluid doesn't mean it shares the plumbing with the brake system. They're the same kind of fluid, but the two systems do not share fluid.

sonic imperial
02-25-2003, 12:00 PM
did they say you needed a clutch fluid change?

natesi
02-25-2003, 06:18 PM
How does it get black? Does that mean you're wearing it out faster?

On the focus the brake and clutch system use the same Reservoir.

i-WERKS
02-26-2003, 07:56 AM
The clutch fluid reservoir says brake fluid on the cap. My cousin works at honda so that's what he told me. He said that it gets black faster if you drive hard. My clutch use to make noise when I start moving kinda like a creaking noise. After changing it, the noise isn't as bad but it's still there. It only happens occasionally though. I read that other people have this problem too.

sonic imperial
02-26-2003, 09:02 AM
Is there anything we can do to make the gearbox not so crunchy? I mean, if I sit at a complete stop and row through the gear, I hear all kinds of clicks and crunchiness, almost like there is no lubricant or something but I checked the resevoir and it appears full. I have a creaking clutch as well but only when the weather is warm.