PDA

View Full Version : Am i hearing things?

whtep19
02-25-2003, 03:45 PM
My buddy has an RSX w/ a injen SRI on it. When he hits 5k his car screams. I have a AEM CAI and I can hear my engine at 5k but it doesn't quite sound the same. Why is his so loud? Why does his SRI sound so much louder than my CAI?

Suk02Si
02-25-2003, 04:01 PM
I think Myeverlovinsir mentioned something about harmonic frequencies and differences between the AEM, AEM V2, Injen, and most Short rams.

My_Blk_Si
02-25-2003, 04:05 PM
I have a injen cai... you can hear a significant difference at about 4800 rpm's... i haven't heard an aem so i can't tell you if it's any louder...

whtep19
02-25-2003, 04:45 PM
Is there any difference in performance because if not I may consider selling my AEM for an injen. I still worry about through deep puddles with the AEM..

sniperSI
02-25-2003, 05:29 PM
i have an ingen cai, it's real loud thru 4k up to peaking at 5 on up.

However unless you plan on driving your car thru a 1 foot puddle of water left nose first , engine sieze is the last thing you have to worry about with a CAI. For real, if we saw a hazard that would cause our engine to sieze 99% would avoid because we wouldnt want our car to get dirty, much less a CAI. Your safe.

!@#$%
02-25-2003, 10:16 PM
it gets louder becuase thats when the base rsx's 2nd runners open on the intake manifold to allow for faster and smoother airflow giving it that extra torque. we have a single stage. if it is a type s...then its obviously the vtec at 5800

goy091
02-26-2003, 04:22 AM
SRI as usually louder than CAI, but SRI's give less of a gain because the air is hotter inside the engine bay than down by the wheels.

Dunrick
02-26-2003, 09:31 AM
rSX-s is a much louder engine stock and w/ an intake

fsugatorbait
02-26-2003, 09:35 AM
on my 94 accord I had an iceman intake, which was two pieces...In the summer I had the cold air extension relocating the filter outside of the engine compartment and then removed it in the winter moving the filter inside the engine compartment...In the winter with the filter inside the engine compartment it was loud as hell, why? I have no idea, just my .02.

myeverlovinsir
02-26-2003, 03:43 PM
It's a location joke. You will always hear the SRI over the CAI unless your outside the car. The SRI is near the firewall and I can remember the diff. in sound from the EK SRI to the CAI.:D

sean
02-28-2003, 06:41 PM
its all in the positioning. the vibration you hear on the injen is probably the heat shield wrap that clicks and clacks from vibration.

youd be smart to switch to the injen sri, easier to change filter down the road (and clean it), doesnt suck hot air in/its positioned to suck air in through the crack near the back of your front tire and the shield keeps hot air from the headers flowing into it, most importantly is you not having to ever worry about hydrolock

my friend thats a tech is rebuilding an s2000 engine that kicked water up underneath...:'( poor s2000