PDA

View Full Version : Springs

JohnR
02-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Everyone seems OK with how much the spring lowers the vehicle or how they feel the vehicle rides. But are there any numbers out there for true performance increase? I currently have a stock car only bought it three weeks ago. I am looking at buying springs so far Eibach Prokit 2.0" but if there is proof of a spring offering better performance I would like to know. Just becuase a spring may be stiffer or softer may or may not increase performance overall. Also related are rims and tires. I know that a tire too big although looking nice is not always the best performing, for instance in the old days (1985 CRX) 195/60-14 gave the best all around performance even though 205/50-15 would fit, turn in response was lost?

Bushido
02-26-2003, 08:05 PM
i might be mistaken but the pro kit only drops 1 inch.. also, you may wanna do a search on the forum.. im sure some have posted about this before..

JohnR
02-26-2003, 08:46 PM
I have seen contradicting information on if it is the pro or sport that lowers 2.0" either way 2.0" is what I am after. I will talk to Eibach before I order to ensure I have purchased the proper spring. Although there are posts asking what springs people feel are best. Actual performance numbers were not asked for short of spring rates. I did do a search first and I also waded through most of the posts manually. I will say that I am only human and may have overlooked something.

chunky
02-26-2003, 09:29 PM
you'll be hard pressed to find actual performance results on a forum like this. most of us lack the time and resources to conduct proper testing of stock v.s. modded suspesnion setups.

However, lowering the car benefits you in that you have a) a lower center of gravity, which translates into less lean when moving through turns & transitions b) less frontal area, resulting in less drag, and greater stability at speed.

Stiffer spring rates also help control body movements, but also help acceleration in that stiffer rear springs reduce weight transfer to the rear, helping to maintain traction on the front wheels.

Getting springs will often knock as much as 1/10th of a 1/4 time, and as much as a full second on an auto-x course.

As for wider tires. . . you can modify the driving style to accomodate a delayed turn-in, but you can't modify your driving style to give you more traction.

Some trade-offs are worthwhile - giving up some turn in response for traction is worth it in most cases.

JohnR
02-26-2003, 10:11 PM
Well you never know uless you ask. As for your input I have to agree absolutely. A question I posed in reply to someone else's query on RSX parts I can't seem to find is there any benefit to switching to RSX sway bars, specifically the rear?