PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement/choice opinions

SQ Hatch
02-26-2003, 08:13 PM
I'm planning out the system for the Si and was wondering what you guyz (and girlz) have had best results with? I'm trying to decide whether to place the tweeter over the mid aimed up or just place the tweeter in the factory location. Anybody played around with this? I'm looking into Focal Utopias for the fronts and a set of focal coaxes for the rear. According to mobiletoys.com there is 3.5 inches of depth behind the front speaker, does that sound legit?

Any Info would be greatly appreciated, I have done many installs but all cars respond differently and different things work best. I just want to know what works best before shelling out $600 bucks in speakers.

fsugatorbait
02-27-2003, 01:33 PM
I went with infinity reference components in the front mounted the tweeters in the factory location with just a little sanding they fit right in and look great. Custom mounted the same set in the rear hatch and put reference coaxials in the rear pannel. Runnin a 4 channel amp under the passenger seat thats powering both sets of components and the coaxials are running off the new clarion 835 head I put in. Dynamat is going on this weekend to get rid of some of the road noise. Sounds great, from 50 cent to linkin park, great highs and clear responsive bass, couldnt be happier! :D

FailureToStop
03-16-2003, 05:05 AM
fsugatorbait,

What kind of amp do you have under the passenger seat and how did you attach it to the floor?

fsugatorbait
03-16-2003, 09:24 PM
its an MTX 4240 I believe...I cut the carpet on either side for the wires, they hold it in pretty well...didnt screw it in...doesnt move at all.

Ocelaris
03-21-2003, 08:28 PM
If you're looking to cut down on road noise, try some carpet padding, or "jute" the fiberous stuff, not the rubberized padding, it will cut down road noise, the dynamat (asphault sheeting) is only good for dampening panels/plastics that are rattling... check out my "gutted ep" thread, It might provide some useful ideas.

As for speaker location, I'm not terribly pleased with the tweeter location, they are hard to aim towards me, had to cut up the stock wedge area a bit, but it fits... Then again there's not much room for kick panels either... Ocelaris

If I had to do it again, I'd just duct tape all the plastic parts in the door, and put a full layer of jute in the doors, and under the stock carpet all the way back under the back seats... that'd be your best bang for the buck... then you don't have to remove the back seats, or any back paneling... just take out the middle console area (screws only, no clips), seats, and back seat cushion. Cuts down the noise level ALOT.