PDA

View Full Version : AEM CAI Install

HondaCivicSi
07-29-2002, 01:30 PM
I've had my CAI for about two months now. When I installed I had trouble bending the plastic around the intake. I've read that some of you guys have cut yours. I just bent mine around it and forced the plastic plug to hold it in. I looked at it a little while ago and noticed the push plug thing fell out and the plastic starting to bend away from the intake. Anyone have any ideas on what i should do? Should I cut it, if so, what exaclty do I cut. Where can I get some more of those plug things to hold the plastic on? Any ideas would be great...thanks for the help.

SpeedRacer
07-29-2002, 01:41 PM
just cut out the plastic that is giving you the problem.

HondaCivicSi
07-29-2002, 02:03 PM
Did you cut the piece that goes all the way around the wheel well or just the little piece that flips up?

fishboy
07-29-2002, 02:19 PM
i cut them both, but if i recall correctly i thought that i only needed to cut one of them when i looked at it, but i already cut them both so there was nothing i could do. try cutting the one closest to the intake first.

SpeedRacer
07-29-2002, 02:20 PM
i only cut the little piece

HondaCivicSi
07-29-2002, 02:23 PM
So once you put it back together you can see what you cut? Does it look stupid?

SpeedRacer
07-29-2002, 02:27 PM
i cant see it it dosnt look stupid

vtec24
07-29-2002, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I had the same problem, only thing I don't like about cutting the plastic is that might allow some water to enter the intake. Considering that a bypass valve is not available for our intakes, I'm a little leary about cutting. Is the filter visible if you cut the plastic? I would imagine it is. In my opinion (just installed mine an hour ago), I think AEM did a shitty job at designing the cold air intake for our cars. Could have done a better job I think. Oh well, what are ya gonna do. These are just my thoughts.
:rolleyes: Later!

Josh

HondaCivicSi
07-30-2002, 10:30 AM
I cut some off the plastic now you can see part of my intake tube. AEM did do a horrible job designing it. They should have made the tube oval shaped or something through that part so it fit with out any problem. I lost one of the plastic push bolts because I forced the plastic around the tube and jammed one in. I looked at it a few days later and noticed it was gone. i zipped tied it so it wasn't just flapping around. Oh well. "poop" happens. Later

silver ep
08-01-2002, 09:54 AM
Hey does anyone know if the Injen fits better, (cause it sounds like you have to make the AEM fit.) I was going to get the AEM but now Im not so sure??

02SilverSiHB
08-01-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by silver ep
Hey does anyone know if the Injen fits better, (cause it sounds like you have to make the AEM fit.) I was going to get the AEM but now Im not so sure??
it seems people have better fitament with the injen, I'm pretty disappointed by AEM

silver ep
08-01-2002, 02:19 PM
it seems people have better fitament with the injen, I'm pretty disappointed by AEM[/QUOTE] [/B][/I]

Other than how it fits, why dont you like the AEM?

02SilverSiHB
08-01-2002, 05:34 PM
silver ep:
something went wrong while trying to quote what you said sorry man, anyway:

Other than how it fits, why dont you like the AEM? [/B][/QUOTE]
I'm just reffering to the cai on the new si. I notice how a lot of people complain about the cai from aem. I remember reading how it makes a popping sound because of fitament problems.
I used to own one on my 97 EX and love it, but after seeing the problems...I'm going to go with injen

silver ep
08-03-2002, 06:19 AM
02SilverSiHB: Thanks for the input Im just trying to decide which intake to get based on installation, performance and sound, and from what Ive heard it seems like the Injen is a better fit for the SI. I wonder if its easy to install?

02SilverSiHB
08-03-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by silver ep
02SilverSiHB: Thanks for the input Im just trying to decide which intake to get based on installation, performance and sound, and from what Ive heard it seems like the Injen is a better fit for the SI. I wonder if its easy to install?
oh, yeah, any cai is going to be easy.