PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, just joined from England

gavctr
07-29-2002, 02:23 PM
Hi there every body, Ive recently just bought a new Honda civic type R and im very pleased with it.

Ive just found your website so thought id join and see what you guys over there think of the civics.

Do you get the type R over there? or is under a different name?
Is the spec, power etc different?

Took mine to a drad strip yesterday and clocked 15.04 secs over the 1/4 (with a full tank of fuel), has anyone else done this and what sort of times do you get?

Well please reply to me cause im very interested and will probably use this forum alot.

Cheers GAV...

SBC31
07-29-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by gavctr
Do you get the type R over there? or is under a different name?
Is the spec, power etc different?

Sensitive subject to us North Americans. If you do a search on the Type R you will quickly see that we DO NOT get it here.

Regardless, welcome to ephatch, enjoy your stay.

gavctr
07-29-2002, 02:32 PM
thanks mate, oh well ill just tell ya all how good mine is:D

Only kidding......

DJQuikFingaz
07-29-2002, 02:35 PM
Sensitive subject to us North Americans.
VERY VERY SENSITVE.

oh well ill just tell ya all how good mine is
This kind of talk is what makes me go out and kick someone's ass.

j/k of course:D

iR-VTEC2
07-29-2002, 04:04 PM
welcome to EPHATCH dot com. Take off yo shoes.....wait a minute.....put them back on. Have a drink sit down make yourself at home.

xlr8
07-29-2002, 04:10 PM
welcome, this site is realy a good place to hang out. i think you will enjoy it

DJQuikFingaz
07-29-2002, 04:11 PM
So where are the pics? MUST SEE PICS!

MadMax
07-29-2002, 07:47 PM
gavctr - just curious: how much does an elise cost relative to the ctr over there? Once taxes and insurance etc are considered.
You guys get all the good cars:(

gavctr
07-30-2002, 09:57 AM
http://157.228.60.1:8080/saxosnortheast/exmplframes.htm/events/kames02/pics/047.jpg http://157.228.60.1:8080/saxosnortheast/exmplframes.htm/events/kames02/pics/048.jpg

A couple if piccies of my car:D

gavctr
07-30-2002, 10:00 AM
Mad max; The type R costs

DJQuikFingaz
07-30-2002, 10:05 AM
U.S. Money conversion?

gavctr
07-30-2002, 10:14 AM
sorry djquick, I dont know

BlazeX12
07-30-2002, 10:30 AM
Damn, that silver type R is sooooo nice looking...... well silver si will have to do for now.... :(

MadMax
07-30-2002, 10:32 AM
1 GBP = 1.57 USD = 2.46 CAD

Yikes. ctr would be ~40,000 cad.:eek:
and elise would be 54,000.

gavctr
07-30-2002, 10:32 AM
Damn, that silver type R is sooooo nice looking

Thanks matey:D :D

Az02Si
07-30-2002, 11:19 AM
HONDA!!!!! BRING US THAT CAR!!!!!!! SOON!!!!!!! That is all......

JSIR
07-31-2002, 06:06 PM
welcome bud !, damn that car looks so nice, great little touches here and there just finish it off sweeeeet. Love that little red H at the rear. How much is the CTR lowered compared to our SiR's over here, nice stance. BTW, I'm on the Honda UK CTR forum as CanadaSiR if you browse that site, glad to have you aboard ephatch though. love that car !

You should be able to coax that baby to a quicker 1/4 mile time than that I would think. I've heard of some guys getting high 15's over hear with the Si/SiR's but most are low to mid 16's. good luck m8

Joey;)

stingyboy
07-31-2002, 06:19 PM
from honda's uk type-r site:

Behind the exhilarating performance of the Civic Type-R is an outstanding new engine, which features Honda's advanced DOHC i-VTEC technology. Applied to the Civic Type-R, power output rises to a prodigious 200 PS (197 bhp) at 7,400 rpm, with peak torque of 196 Nm (145lb-ft) delivered at 5,900 rpm. The result is a towering 100 PS / litre - and level of performance even better that of the highly-acclaimed Integra Type-R, whose power to weight ratio the Civic tops..

These figures translate into a top speed of 146 mph and acceleration from standstill to 60 mph in a potent 6.4 seconds; yet the Type-R achieves a combined cycle fuel consumption of 31.7mpg.

Aside from its prodigious output, the new unit is both more compact and lighter (by 13kg) than Honda's existing 2.0 litre unit that powers the Accord. Actual dimensions are 870 mm (length), 635 mm (width) and 622 mm (height) versus 942/740/621 mm for the 2.0 litre Accord unit. It is also noteworthy that the unit is designed to run on the normal premium grade 95RON unleaded fuel, not the 98 RON Super unleaded grade.

Intelligent VTEC

i-VTEC is the generic name of Honda's outstanding new engine family. The name is derived from 'intelligent' combustion control technologies that match outstanding fuel economy, cleaner emissions and reduced weight with high output and greatly improved torque characteristics in all speed ranges.

The design cleverly combines the highly renowned VTEC (Variable valve Timing and lift, Electronic Control) system - which varies the timing and amount of lift of the valves - with VTC or Variable Timing Control. VTC is able to advance and retard inlet valve opening by altering the phasing of the inlet camshaft to best match the engine load at any given moment. The two systems work in concert under the close control of the engine management system delivering improved cylinder charging and combustion efficiency, reduced intake resistance, and improved exhaust gas recirculation among the benefits

The i-VTEC technology offers tremendous flexibility since it is able to maximise engine potential over the whole speed range. A particularly flat torque curve is testimony to its effectiveness: by 3,000 rpm the engine is already delivering in excess of 180 Nm - or more than 90% of its maximum.

The joy of six!
The Type-R's 6-speed transmission is matched to a high performance clutch and features triple cone synchronisers on both first and second gears. The new gearbox is not only strong and light, but shorter in length than many 5-speed units. The Type-R retains the ergonomically excellent fascia-mounted gear lever common to other Civic hatchback models, to offer a shift quality that's smooth, accurate and lightning fast.

Carefully spaced ratios maintain engine revs well within the power band during acceleration and give intermediate gear maxima of 36, 56, 78, 103 and 128 mph at the 8000 rpm red line. .

High rigidity

The inherently fine-handling Civic 3-door with its highly rigid body and much praised suspension design provides an ideal platform for a high performance derivative. Nevertheless, Honda has introduced additional stiffening to endow the Type-R model's handling with even greater tautness and precision.

Body rigidity is even more marked in the Type-R where additional bracing further boosts the precision handling characteristics of the flagship model. Frontal horizontal rigidity benefits to the tune of 17 per cent thanks to an additional strut located at the base of the front bulkhead and between the two front side members. At the rear, a strut fitted between the wheelarches, together with a reinforced wheelarch gusset increases vertical rigidity by 23 per cent.

The Type-R benefits from firmer dampers and springs, uprated anti-roll bars front and rear (that at the front is stiffer, that at the rear is increased in diameter) compared to standard 3-door models; in addition, ride height is reduced by approximately 15mm. Ultra low profile 205/45 R17 tyres are specified, on 17 x 7JJ alloy rims.

MagusDC5
07-31-2002, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gavctr
[B]Mad max; The type R costs

JSIR
07-31-2002, 07:44 PM
hmmm, 15mm drop is all hugh, not bad just under .75", must be the larger wheels that fill the wheel well gap on the CTR as it looks like a larger drop than that. I would like a drop around .75-1.0 inches, I don't care for the 1.5" drops myself, wonder how you can go about getting CTR springs on this side of the pond. :confused:

stingyboy
07-31-2002, 07:53 PM
eibach pro-kit

JSIR
07-31-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by stingyboy
eibach pro-kit

Really ?, are they available for the Si yet ?, I know there are a set of Eibach's that are 1.5" drop available but I don't really want them. I would be interested in the pro-kits as they tend to be a more mild drop. I'll look into it, thanks for the info.

stingyboy
07-31-2002, 08:09 PM
my car has the pro-kits on them, look in the rides section. but those pics were taken right after install...i'd say it has settled another 5-10 mm since then, but it's still a mild drop. wish i had bought 45 series tires though instead of 40. :(

JSIR
07-31-2002, 08:12 PM
thanks for the lead Stingy, so do you like the springs and drop, I'm guessing its about a one inch drop then ?. I'm gonna check your pics, very interested. Yeah playing with the sidewall ratio can increase wheel well gap a bit going that way.