PDA

View Full Version : RevHard turbo in production. Questions?

PAsi
02-27-2003, 06:42 PM
I just saw this on RevHard's website:
"WHAT'S NEW FOR 2003

Civic SI 2002-up Now in production and pending CARB legality.
Call now to get the SPECIAL Introductory Price of $3999."

I'm new to the whole import scene and am wondering what the turbo replaces. I heard there is no need for a header so I'm not bothering on upgrading that. What else don't I need to bother to upgrade that will be useless if I buy a turbo? I haven't modded anything yet but plan on Hondata heatgasket, Comptech Icebox, Maybe comptech or hks hi-power exhaust. And does anyone know how reliable RevHard is?

chet
02-27-2003, 06:58 PM
I posted a thread in the Engine forum entitled "Are you Jonesing for Turbo?" Check it out. I am waiting for more feedback.

What do you know about RevHard? Have they put good kits together in the past? I have no knowledge on this at all.

--Chet

PAsi
02-27-2003, 07:02 PM
i know absolutely nothing about turbo in general.

chet
02-27-2003, 07:24 PM
We ride in the same boat my friend. But I think we are in the right place to learn.

Tekdemon
02-28-2003, 04:23 AM
From what I understand the quality levels go something like:
Super Expensive Custom setup with the best components possible that you spend years and years tuning to optimal power and reliability
HKS kits
Greddy
Apexi/RevHard/DRAG/other well known companies
The rest...

I'm probably missing a couple big players though...

Personally I'm much more willing to trust HKS...after all, they are the company that actually invented the first consumer bolt-on turbo for a non-turbo car =P

chet
02-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info Tekdemon. I hadn't really heard anyone say who the best was. But HKS seems to have the edge there! I posted the info I received from AfterHourz Racing in my "Are you Jonesing for Turbo?" -- Engine forum.

rhs29
02-28-2003, 03:34 PM
the revhard kits are shit and very unreliable.... you have to be really careful on chosing a kit for honda cars, because the honda engines were never meant to be turbocharged...
the best way to make "your" ep3 boost, is to have a custom kit desgined and even though the process is longer it will be worth it..but, the problem with making a custom kit for the ep3 is that finding the turbo exhaust manifold....no company has made the manifold for production, yet!also i did hear that turbonetics is in the works for making the exhaust manifold.... and if i did not persuade you enough, my cousin had a revhard kit in is LS integra and one week after the install from an authorized mechanic by revhard, the engine BLEW UP!..the engine had overheated from an oil leak through the turbo housing and also when the mechanic tapped the oil pan for the oil line to the compressor housing...yup, the car was on FIRE and after 4-5 months in a garage for repairs the car had a BRAND new engine....however after the car was fixed and boosted again, it was FAST as hell!...( 7psi )... he even beat a midly tuned RX7....

boost " at your own risk! "... i was going to turbocharge my car, but i think i might just NA the car...( engine swap with the k20 engine from the japanese DC5 (the RSX type R))..

JEDI-SI
03-01-2003, 09:44 PM
I talked to hks and they said they have the exhaust manifold but the turbo wont come out for a while!

rhs29
03-01-2003, 11:30 PM
are you sure if it is a turbo exhaust manifold....???..because you can use any turbo exhaust manifold for any turbo compressor!...i think the hks exhaust manifold is just a standard NA exhaust header....( I AM NOT SURE )..

rhs29
03-01-2003, 11:36 PM
also, tekdemon..... you are forgetting the best turbo company out there, TURBONETICS....they have even higher standards of compressor wheel balancing then other manufacturers...if you didn't know already the fastest drag cars use the turbonetic systems such as: ( the PRO series Turbonetics CELICA).....

Tekdemon
03-02-2003, 03:59 PM
RHS, Turbonetics doesn't manufacture Turbo kits as far as I know...they manufacture the actual Turbo units themselves but since they don't make kits for cars, there's no point in me listing them when comparing against TURBO KITS.

HKS on the other hand, makes Tubo Kits that come with everything you need to bolt on. They don't even make the Turbo Units by themselves, their Turbos are modified Garrett Turbos if I'm not mistaken.

But since we were talking about the RevHard KIT(and RevHard obviously doesn't make their own turbos at all), I didn't think it would make any sense to start listing Turbo unit manufacturers in my comparison since you can't just buy the turbo and install it without a kit unless you want to do CUSTOM work. And CUSTOM work is listed as #1 on my list =P

So if you want Turbonetics, then #1 is for you.

There's also Aerodyne if you want to use some fancy turbos.

rhs29
03-03-2003, 08:50 PM
tekdemon, true turbonetics does not make any turbo kits...i guess i went on a different tangent..... MY BAD!!!!...

l33t
03-04-2003, 01:17 PM
I am going to have to disagree on you with your opinion of revhard turbo kits, there are several EG and eks here running revhards and they own. one of the EG hatchs ran an 11.2, and the driver is a girl, + the car is 100% street legal full interior etc. they haven't blown up or anything

PAsi
03-05-2003, 12:30 PM
i guess it just depends if you set it up right.

CSMsi311
03-05-2003, 05:36 PM
If I remember correctly the problem most people have with revhard kits is that they (or use to) come with a delta wastegate. This type of wastegate is not as good as a Tial wastegate.

I could be mistaken however
Jason

Originally posted by Mudokon
I am going to have to disagree on you with your opinion of revhard turbo kits, there are several EG and eks here running revhards and they own. one of the EG hatchs ran an 11.2, and the driver is a girl, + the car is 100% street legal full interior etc. they haven't blown up or anything

rhs29
03-05-2003, 09:25 PM
mudokon, i remember reading about her car in a mag...well her turbo probaly was tuned very well, and had lots of tweaking done to it...but the revhard kit does have problems with access pressure while the throttle is closed and it could be due to the wastegate or with design flaws...the GOOD thing about the revhard kit is its PRICE, it is cheap for boost..... but a kit that is worth looking into is the Fmax kits, because turbonetics now owns Fmax turbo and they supply their turbo compressors.....also its price is pretty reasonable!......
... so TEKDEMON, turbonetics does make turbo kits just under a different name.....

revhardsales
04-05-2003, 02:57 PM
How do you get excess pressure when the throttle is closed. This might work real good on our race cars. We don't need to get on the 2-step anymore. Where do you get your info from? This iis why we always reccomend getting our systems from authorized and knowledgeable kit people. Sorry for whatever bad experience you had with our system.

ep3guy
04-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by revhardsales
How do you get excess pressure when the throttle is closed. This might work real good on our race cars. We don't need to get on the 2-step anymore. Where do you get your info from? This iis why we always reccomend getting our systems from authorized and knowledgeable kit people. Sorry for whatever bad experience you had with our system.

Saw the Revhard turbo Si at Hondata and heard it take off. Very nice. :D

revhardsales
04-06-2003, 11:58 PM
We forgot the air filter

revhardsales
04-07-2003, 12:00 AM
Oops wrong one-Nothing really much to see but man you got to feel the power

bmx269
04-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Revhardsales,

You were saying that the stock kit comes set for 5psi. Why did you post the numbers at 7psi? Can the engine handle running at 7psi as a daily driven car? I would like to know more specific issues that you guys had, i.e., detonation, max boost, etc.

I am also interested in finding out if tweaking your A/F mixure via an S-AFC can yield more power on your setup? lets say bringing the numbers up to +280whp.

revhardsales
04-07-2003, 07:36 PM
We were surprised with the gain at 5 psi so we wanted to see if we can get 100hp. From our experience, this range 5-7psi is the safest you can run a Honda motor. And 5 psi seems kinda low. We're use to seeing 35psi on our race cars.

revhardsales
04-07-2003, 07:40 PM
According from our tuners calculation. The factory fuel pressure of 50psi with tha pump will top out at 280hp. Then your gonna have to modify the pump and might have to go with a returnline system. You can only go so much for a proper system to work you still need that fuel pressure to go up even if you go with the biggest injector. The bigger you go on the injector, it's gonna need more fuel for more power, therefore you'll start loosing fuel pressure.

bmx269
04-12-2003, 02:05 PM
Is adding more fuel pressure a mod that can be added after the kit, also, will the FC need to be reconfigured?

revhardsales
05-04-2003, 09:47 PM
the only way you can raise the fuel pressure is if you redo the and ad a fuel line. You can never know what can happen to this. But maybe catch "FIRE" If you consider getting more power, you should do this after getting the bottom end beefed up. But for the mean time, there's not point on thinking upgrade. Upgrade is always possible. We are already working on a map sensor that will read more boost.

CSMsi311
05-04-2003, 10:14 PM
why not just use larger fuel injectors? rather than raising the fuel pressure. It would be a lot easier than converting to a return-line system.

High fuel pressures are not the answer in my experience. You are much better off running close to stock fuel pressure on larger injectors.