PDA

View Full Version : EP3 State Inspection *NIGHTMARE*

esmith13
02-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Let me start by saying... I NEVER thought I would have ANY problems come inspection time with a one year young car...

Well, PA obviously sux... I took my car in for state inspection to the Dealer I bought it at (I know, I know... but the were cheaper!). Unfortunately for me, I forgot to change my *illegally* colored lightbulbs around my car first. So I got a phone call from the dealer that I passed emmissions, but failed Safety/State.

"WHAT?!?!", I said... "How the HELL did that happen!!"

The tech told me about the bulbs, and I apologized for yelling. I explained that I forgot to change them and I had them at home (40mi. away!). He said I could take the car and change them and bring it back for free. Well, that was too far (since I expire today and wouldn't make it back in time) so I asked what it would cost to replace 3 or 4 pairs of blinkers and running lights. He told me about $40 including labor, so I told him to do it.

... Two hours later...

I got another call from the dealer... "Where sorry to say we don't have all the bulbs for your car, so you'll have to pick it up and put yours in and come back, or leave you car here for 2 days."

... *gggrrrrrrrrrrr*...

"Fine", I said. "I'll be there in a hour."

So I go to the dealer to get my car and they tell me while I'm there, that the tint I applied to my bumper lenses is illegal. Either they have to *try* and scratch it off, or I have to buy new ones!

I FLIPPED OUT!!!!!

The law in PA was apparently changed to say that anything applied to a lense or reflector is illegal, weather transparant or opaque! They told me that what I had was illegal, as well as eyebrows, blackouts, and that meshed stuff they have out now. Even those decals people are buying to change the shape of their taillights is illegal, like the durango owners that have the ram decal on the breaklights.... Illegal as well...

So we argued for 10 min till the service manager showed up, and he was a nice guy. He offered to call the state police and ask them what they think... Of course, they thought I was wrong... So the service manager sent me on my way and was kind enough to *ignore* the part of my bill for state inspection, so I could go somewhere else that would pass me... He just said, " I can't risk the certifications of my techs and my station... You understand that?"

So I left.... Got home...

You never guess what now....

First off, the bulbs they did have, and replaced were the front and side blinkers... They replaced them with WHITE bulbs!! Not Amber ones, LIKE REQUIRED BY LAW!!!
Then I notice, one of my side markers (the drivers one) was not flush against the body... So I took it out to "Pop it in Straight" and found that they BROKE the clip on it when they *illegally* changed the bulb to white!! They actually knew they broke it, because they tried to tape it in by wrapping the back of the assembly with electrical tape!!!!!

I WILL NEVER GO TO THAT DEALER AGAIN -- EVER!!!!!!!

*phew* I feel a little better now... Thanks for letting me vent.

... Sorry for the long post.

Eric.

greenguy
02-28-2003, 07:49 AM
That F-in sucks. Move to Az. no state inspections, and no snow in the winter:D If its not raining, winter days are high 60's to low 70's!
Good luck!

Brettnyt
02-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Dayum, that blows... I cant believe that they broke your side marker lense and didnt tell you about it, just tried to cover it up with tape... thats crazy.....

atl-si
02-28-2003, 08:36 AM
Your state sucks! j/k. You have some strict laws in PA!:(

Slainte
02-28-2003, 08:55 AM
you can't get the dealer (i'm assuming Honda) to order a new friggin sidemarker since they broke it? or will they give you that bullshit that you drove off the lot, so they are not responsible for it...?

Slainte

pocketrocket
02-28-2003, 09:25 AM
I'd be sticking my size 12 foot right up their ass. They should replace your sidemarker and give you a free oil change for your hassle. As far as the inspection, find someone that you know will "pass" you. Thank god we don't have inspections in OH, I'd have to start bribing people.

-PR

esmith13
02-28-2003, 09:51 AM
you can't get the dealer (i'm assuming Honda) to order a new friggin sidemarker since they broke it? or will they give you that bullshit that you drove off the lot, so they are not responsible for it...?

Oh, they're getting me a knew one under warranty.....

BUT... they wanted me to drive the 40mi. back up there to *look* at it first, then order the part and have me come back....

...Of course, I made them see the error of their ways on that one....

Eric.

!@#$%
02-28-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by greenguy
That F-in sucks. Move to Az. no state inspections, and no snow in the winter:D If its not raining, winter days are high 60's to low 70's!
Good luck!

you talked me into it. :) im seriously going to try and transfer to an arizona college. Seems like the environment for me. Texas is too adverse, last weekend we were in shorts, this week I was iced in by some huge ice storm that shut down all of DFW for 3 days. F the ice and snow. F state inspections.

JLannoo
02-28-2003, 11:41 AM
No State inspections/emission testing in Michigan what so ever.
We do have icky winters though. :)

taikahn
02-28-2003, 11:50 AM
Colorado is always nice --- Denver and Boulder have over 300 sunny days a year -- from what I understand its one of the highest in the US.

SiR Medic
02-28-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by JLannoo
No State inspections/emission testing in Michigan what so ever.
We do have icky winters though. :)

This is not a good thing!

I remember living in Windsor, Ontario (across the border from Detroit) Let me tell ya, some of those cars were scary! I'm talkin' about 3 spacesavers for tires, cars with no doors and about half the lights working.

Nova Scotia isn't too bad... Yearly safety inspection that's not too strict and no emissions test. Also, if your car does fail, you get a two-week grace period to fix it.

cj miller
02-28-2003, 12:06 PM
damn man that blows hard nuts.

JLannoo
02-28-2003, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SiR Medic

I'm talkin' about 3 spacesavers for tires, cars with no doors..

For real? lol thats crazy :eek: I have never seen anything that
bad. I mean we do have Cops to pull those nuts over :)

02 Si (PA)
02-28-2003, 12:49 PM
I have been going to this shop for car inspection for the last 5 years...no dealer BS there.

Kens Automotive Inc.
10th & Callowhill Street
Phila, PA
215-829-9898

They did the inspection on my Si last month when I bought it. (bought the car in NJ so I had to get it inspected in Philly)

1abSi
02-28-2003, 01:32 PM
sometimes i a REALLY glad i live in Florida

golferjn
02-28-2003, 04:13 PM
that sucks man

Honda02Si
02-28-2003, 04:40 PM
I LIVE IN THE BROTHERLY LOVE OF PHILLY !!

IceD out N CALI
02-28-2003, 09:38 PM
that sucks, here in cali no probs with that

02SiHB
03-01-2003, 11:42 AM
I live about 30 min North of Philly and let me tell you. I have never heard of such bullshit when it comes to inspections. Everyone I know that mods the hell out of their car, that is their sole worry. (Inspections) PA and NJ have to be 2 of the most as backwards states in the US.

SiR Medic
03-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by JLannoo
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SiR Medic

I'm talkin' about 3 spacesavers for tires, cars with no doors..

For real? lol thats crazy :eek: I have never seen anything that
bad. I mean we do have Cops to pull those nuts over :)

You mean you have never seen ghetto hoopties like that in Detroit?!

You ain't lookin'!
:D ;)

My favorite was a 4-door suzuki swift with what looked like 12" WIDE rims. Damn things must of stook out about 6" from the fender. Oh yeah... NO OTHER MODS ON THE CAR! (except stereo... Natch'!)

JLannoo
03-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic

My favorite was a 4-door suzuki swift with what looked like 12" WIDE rims. Damn things must of stook out about 6" from the fender. Oh yeah... NO OTHER MODS ON THE CAR! (except stereo... Natch'!)

lol Yea I have seen the tiny wide tire thing on quite a few cars. A couple Trackers and a Sundance/Shadow come to mind. Doesn't that like destroy the suspension? Still never saw a car missing doors though :)

I live about 15-20 min outside Detroit. I just always say Detroit online because its nearby. So most people have an idea where I'm at. Everyone knows where Detroit is :)

Only time I ever go downtown is for the Auto Show once a year.