PDA

View Full Version : Hour and A half into my Spring Install

Mad02Si
02-28-2003, 10:49 AM
I still haven't got the springs yet but they will arive in a hour or 2. I went and bought the tools I needed but couldn't lift from my dad. I have both of the front springs off and ready for the new ones. Even though I tried tieing my hub up they still dropped and I think they both came out of place. I bought a Pickle Fork(tierod separator) and it worked great. Not much difference from my old EX. I hope to have this done by 3 or 4 depending when the springs come. A UPS man drove by my house hope he just had another delivery and will come back thru later. Time to rest a bit and wait. 1 and a half down and I will start counting again when the springs come. Reading other experiences on here is making this really exciting and kinda easy. But thx for all the helpful tips for those who posted before me and gave me the knowwledge I was lacking.. I'll update soon.. :0

DownTheHatch
02-28-2003, 01:37 PM
What if your springs don't come today?

Mad02Si
02-28-2003, 04:50 PM
THat's the beauty of Ups Tracking. I got them about 30 mins after my first post. I was done and cleaning up alittle before 4 the ride isn't bad. I was expecting to be bouncing all over the road but it wasnt that far from stock. I just hope some one makes some shock soon. I couldn't have done it with out this site. The magazines I had didnt tell you much about the axle thing. Now I have to wait till Monday to install the exhaust and Cai. I haven't heard any strange sounds from the install yet so that good. I didnt destroy the ball joints, and I came out of this busted nukle free.
A little advice to those who may be afraid to do this kinda thing themselves. Dont be after getting the front done everything else is really easy. Thx again to the ones before me who posted the install guide..

!@#$%
02-28-2003, 10:23 PM
big question....did you cut the bumpstop? The instructions for my progress springs say to cut it about half way and only use the tope piece. What did you do about yours? Leave them be?

HondaMan
02-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Mad02Si
THat's the beauty of Ups Tracking. I got them about 30 mins after my first post. I was done and cleaning up alittle before 4 the ride isn't bad. I was expecting to be bouncing all over the road but it wasnt that far from stock. I just hope some one makes some shock soon. I couldn't have done it with out this site. The magazines I had didnt tell you much about the axle thing. Now I have to wait till Monday to install the exhaust and Cai. I haven't heard any strange sounds from the install yet so that good. I didnt destroy the ball joints, and I came out of this busted nukle free.
A little advice to those who may be afraid to do this kinda thing themselves. Dont be after getting the front done everything else is really easy. Thx again to the ones before me who posted the install guide..

No problem, I'm glad my/our install guide helped! :)

Congrats! :cool:

Mad02Si
03-01-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by !@#$%
big question....did you cut the bumpstop? The instructions for my progress springs say to cut it about half way and only use the tope piece. What did you do about yours? Leave them be? I f I read one of the papers correctly it said NOT to cut the bumbstops. I hope tokico, or KYB makes a decent shock soon cause I dont want to feel me ride slowly go down hill.

esmith13
03-01-2003, 07:32 AM
I assume you got the neuspeed race springs listed in your sig...

I just got mine in from UPS too, but I was going to pay $150 to have them put on... I'm scared to fuck up my car. I'm mechanically inclined in general, but not when it comes to cars....

You say it was real easy for you, but how mechanically inclined are you?? and how much with cars specifically???

Eric

Mad02Si
03-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
I assume you got the neuspeed race springs listed in your sig...

I just got mine in from UPS too, but I was going to pay $150 to have them put on... I'm scared to fuck up my car. I'm mechanically inclined in general, but not when it comes to cars....

You say it was real easy for you, but how mechanically inclined are you?? and how much with cars specifically???
I never took any Auto shop classes. I just like getting my hands on things and taking them apart and together again. I used to help my brother with his truck back in the day and I feel that as long as it's not removing the engine then it can be done by myself. I feel that bolt on are just that bolt on that anybody can do. I think about the task at hand read as much little info that will help and then put everything together in my mind. I have noticed that as I get old and alot stronger problems like high torqued bolts and shit are getting easier. I feel that if something doesnt fit right then maybe i'm doing it wrong and I will re-anylze and try a different way. Does that make sence? And with the help the HondaMan has on his site it was really easy. Read the post on putting the axles back in and this was a cake walk. Dont be afraid, if something doesnt want to go or give, dont assume thats it's broken re-think what you doing and take your time.
I had a prolem getting the bottom strut bolt in and I was getting frustrated. I calmed down tried some different leverage ideas and finally I got the bolt back in. Never be afraid of things like this especially if your mechanically inclined. Biggest thing is to have confidence in your abillity, the right tools, and some patience. When my exhaust come monday I will install that myself to, and if I decide to swap in a k20a2 or get the JRSC I will now try those myself as well seeing that I have a nice garage to work in and take my time...

HondaMan
03-01-2003, 12:50 PM
Great advice! I would certainly do it now knowing what I know now (about how to do it better/right). My install 'how to" takes a lot of the trial and error (guess work) out of it. I would tell anybody now, that is mechanically inclined, to go for it...provided you have my install "how to" to go by. ;)

esmith13
03-01-2003, 02:03 PM
Cool, thanks for the input guys....

I think now my two biggest concerns are not having a private driveway or a garage (I would have to do it at the sidewalk).

And, weather or not I have the tools I need...

Being mechanically inclined, I have good tools, but none of the are "Automotive tools" so I may or may not have what I need to "get the job done"....

I will seriously think about it......

Thanks again,

Eric

goy091
03-01-2003, 02:43 PM
nice on the spring install.

for all of those ppl who are afraid, dont be. a monkey with a wrench could do the spring install :D . but seriously its not that hard and itll give you a better appreciation for your car. theres nothing like turning a wrench on ur own car.

chakra71
03-01-2003, 08:39 PM
I got my springs installed today. I took it to Kenny (Minivankiller) in montgomery. He did a great job on them and it was worth it to me to let someone else do it. I don't have a garage nor any of the tools i would need to do the spring install. If i had them then i would have done it myself. I'll probably try to do new struts when i find some, by then i should have what i need (now that i know from watching him).

Mad02Si
03-01-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by chakra71
I don't have a garage nor any of the tools i would need to do the spring install. That is understasndable. I have a garage now and it is great all I need is an air compressor and some air tools and I would be cool. But you still learned soemthing by watchingso you can do it yourself next time..