PDA

View Full Version : Lug Nuts Question

BlasTech
03-01-2003, 10:30 AM
So Im getting the wheels today (or at least ordering them)
but I dont know if I should get the offered $40 set of lug nuts. Does it matter if I just use my stock lugs until I can find some light-weight locking ones?

The wheels are Konig Heliums 15x7

BlasTech
03-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Im thinking about theses maybe:

http://store.yahoo.com/urbanimport/kyokliglugnu.html
$47 with seven point socket.
http://store4.yimg.com/I/urbanimport_1728_3696723

02SilverSiHB
03-01-2003, 11:41 AM
you'll most likely need to get a new set of lug nuts...as most rims are universal and the way they are shaped needs a totally different shape than the stock set. for instants...I bought some enkeis for my last civic and needed new lug nuts for them, because the stock one were too fat to fit in the smaller holes.
:) hope that helps
If I were you, I'd get the ones below, Most people have really liked those, plus they are lighter than what you might get with your rims....where are you getting rims from?

ek9jdmhb
03-01-2003, 11:54 AM
i have those and i like them alot.

lewjay
03-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Don't use stock lugs. They will not seat correctly. I was also checking out the Kyokugens, but read to many horror stories of either the lug stripping or the key stripping.

BlasTech
03-01-2003, 12:23 PM
The Heliums are actually 15 x 6.5, not 7, which is fine by me.

I got them at Discount Tire, with 205/50 Azenis, and a warranty for hazards/defects/stems as long as they have tread.

02SilverSiHB
03-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
The Heliums are actually 15 x 6.5, not 7, which is fine by me.

I got them at Discount Tire, with 205/50 Azenis, and a warranty for hazards/defects/stems as long as they have tread.
Sweet! I can't wait to see them on the car! Nice choice of rims.

chunky
03-01-2003, 08:00 PM
honda stock wheels have what is known as a bulge seat. You need lug nuts with conical seats for most aftermarket wheels.

Not only that, but you will almost definitely need hub centering rings.

As for the koyokugen lug nuts, I've heard bad things about them stripping if an impact gun is EVER used on them. So unless you hand torque your wheels yourself every time, I'd stay away.

Personally the way to go for lug nuts are the macgard spline drive lugs. Best lugs on the market period. I'm not too concerned about the slightly heavier weight v.s. the koyokugen.

BlasTech
03-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Well hurry up with whatever you're doing over there, and you can see em in person, 02!:)

BlasTech
03-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by chunky
honda stock wheels have what is known as a bulge seat. You need lug nuts with conical seats for most aftermarket wheels.

Not only that, but you will almost definitely need hub centering rings.

As for the koyokugen lug nuts, I've heard bad things about them stripping if an impact gun is EVER used on them. So unless you hand torque your wheels yourself every time, I'd stay away.

Personally the way to go for lug nuts are the macgard spline drive lugs. Best lugs on the market period. I'm not too concerned about the slightly heavier weight v.s. the koyokugen.

I'll definitely do it by hand, and probably only once (when I put them on), but maybe if I can change my order on Monday, I will get the mcGards instead.

Tell me more about these hub-centric rings you speak of...I want to use these wheels on Saturday at the track.

chunky
03-01-2003, 08:20 PM

I'll definitely do it by hand, and probably only once (when I put them on), but maybe if I can change my order on Monday, I will get the mcGards instead.

Tell me more about these hub-centric rings you speak of...I want to use these wheels on Saturday at the track.

http://www.mcgard.com/automotive/new_prod.asp

that's a link to the mcgard lug nuts.

summitt racing has them for pretty decent prices.

I got the red ones b/c they're the cheapest :D 65$ shipped The chrome are 70 and the black are 80. The chrome and black also come with additional wheel locks, which is kinda cool, but kinda useless too since the spline drive lugs all require a special tool to remove.

as for the hub centering rings

http://www.darksci.net/~chunky/wheelpics/DSC00071.JPG
http://www.darksci.net/~chunky/wheelpics/DSC00076.JPG

They adapt the hub bore of the wheels to the hub bore of your car's hubs. Most tuner wheels have hub bores large enough to accomodate almost any car - so you need the correct hub centering rings to ensure proper fitment - otherwise all the load is carried by the lugs & wheel studs instead of by the hub. That will not only destroy the wheels over time, it'll make for a very unsafe driving situation as failure of even one of the lugs/studs could cause the entire wheel to come off.

BlasTech
03-01-2003, 08:32 PM
I have no idea if i need those or not, but I'll as Discount Tire on Monday...they may put some in, since they are very specific about which car it was for.

thanks for the info.

chunky
03-01-2003, 08:43 PM
I have no idea if i need those or not, but I'll as Discount Tire on Monday...they may put some in, since they are very specific about which car it was for.

thanks for the info.

you get them from a retail store?

BlasTech
03-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Believe it or not, they matched the lowest price, plus added a roadhazard warranty. (http://www.tires.com)

fASTBACK
03-01-2003, 09:24 PM
I just purchased myself some lug nuts also. My rims are coming in another 3 weeks. You'll have to wait and see!! Damn back order!!The reason why I did not get Kyokugen lug nuts is becuase they don't have differnt lug keys. All of the keys to take the lugs off are they same. So anyone else with the Kyokugen lug set can remove your rims and roll away with them. Thieves SUCK!!They are nice though. So I got black lugs from Japan that needs a key to be taken off but it is not a lock. It has the same number of sides as the stock lugs but they are smaller and look AWESOME. To ensure my investment, I also got black locks( Bull Locks) from Japan and this company has 3 differnt keys so no one can roll away with my beautiful rims.

Locks= $25USD
BLK lugs= $35USD
Total= $60 plus tax

Will post pics. of lugs tommorrow

ALCT
03-01-2003, 09:52 PM
I am using gorilla M12x1.5 (came with my konigs) and 56 mm hub rings.

BlasTech
03-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Where did you get the hub rings?

lewjay
03-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Discount Tires has them. All tire shops should have them. They are a couple of bucks a set.

BlasTech
03-02-2003, 03:18 PM
OK, thats where I'll check on Monday.

ek9jdmhb
03-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by ek9jdmhb
i have those and i like them alot.
i take back what i said. dont get these. I just stripped the key 10 min ago rotating my tires:mad: The spare key cost $20 and is going to take a week to get in!

chunky
03-03-2003, 07:51 PM

i take back what i said. dont get these. I just stripped the key 10 min ago rotating my tires:mad: The spare key cost $20 and is going to take a week to get in!

damn. that stinks.

put that 20$ into a set of mcgard spline drives. :D

you just gotta find a friend locally who's got the koyokugens. . . .

also, with those koyokugen, you pretty much always have to torque them to spec - otherwise if you accidentally over tigthen. . . . :(

BlasTech
03-03-2003, 08:37 PM
OH, geez, Im going to cancell tomorrow first thing.

ek9jdmhb
03-03-2003, 08:39 PM
i think i did tighten them too much. My air tools couldnt take them off so i did it by hand and thats when it stripped.

chunky
03-03-2003, 08:52 PM
i think i did tighten them too much. My air tools couldnt take them off so i did it by hand and thats when it stripped.

when removing, ALWAYS use a t-bar or tire iron (the cross shaped thing).

otherwise you'll stretch/strip sockets.

with the t-bar, you push on one side and pull on the other - much much less likely to damage the nut & socket.

I got a nifty folding one to tote around with me :D

but damn, your impact wrench couldn't pop it? how much psi is your air compressor?

ek9jdmhb
03-03-2003, 08:54 PM
i was using a T bar. and my compressor was at 130 psi

chunky
03-03-2003, 09:01 PM
i was using a T bar. and my compressor was at 130 psi

damn. I've never personally used the koyokugen lugs - and to be honest I almost bought a set - but then I remembered about the mcgard spline drives that a friend of mine had - so I did some looking and ended up getting those.

I guess all the horror stories about stripped keys for the koyokugen are true. . .. =\

oh, and 130psi explains why the impact didn't break 'em.

ek9jdmhb
03-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by chunky
oh, and 130psi explains why the impact didn't break 'em.
damn. what psi should it be at? the impact wrech say it could only handle 100 but being the dumbass that i am, i could always go a little more. It also has settings on the side. 1 through 4. it fwas on 4. i dont know if that has anything to do with it. btw, what color are the spline drives you speak of? an i get them in black?

chunky
03-03-2003, 09:22 PM

damn. what psi should it be at? the impact wrech say it could only handle 100 but being the dumbass that i am, i could always go a little more. It also has settings on the side. 1 through 4. it fwas on 4. i dont know if that has anything to do with it. btw, what color are the spline drives you speak of? an i get them in black?

spline drives come in plain chrome, black chrome, or an assortment of colored tops on the otherwise chrome lugs.

http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=17&s=158&p=4314&searchtype=ecat

summitracing has 'em. I got the red capped ones for 65 bucks shipped. The plain chrome go for 70, and the black chrome go for 85. The plain & black chrome also come with additional wheel locks to enhance the security - but i'd rather just have one key for all the lug nuts, it's a pain to have to switch. The spline drive will deter most petty wheel thieves. But if someone really wants your wheels, they'll just steal the whole damned car ya know?

as far as the psi goes, the more PSI your compressor makes, the more torque the impact wrench makes. To be honest, 130psi probably barely makes 100ft-lb. Most people use at least 200psi compressors in home auto garages, and a lucky bastard friend of mine has a 90 gallon 400psi compressor with air "outlets" all around his garage. . . . he can break any damn nut with that thing - and it's so easy, the outlets are spaced like electric outlets, just snap it in and brraaaaaa, brraaaaa, it's off.

todaCspec
03-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Damn you must be Hercules, breaking things! j/k...I've got Kyonugen lugs, you have to tighten and loosen by hand w/socket wrench. It clearly says it on the packaging to torque it to certain specs and never use air tools. Same as Spoon/Volk Racing lugs. The problem is mechanics don't know that you can't use air tools on them. Most of them don't go by torque specs, instead they just tighten it until it can't be tighten any more.

I don't know about the McGard spline lugs but the McGard wheel locks have that problem of the key breaking. It happened to my friend, they ended up messing up his 17" Blitz wheel.

william
03-03-2003, 10:31 PM
anyone have Volk lugs?

BlasTech
03-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Hee hee!

Discount Tire Just called, and my order arrived today. I cancelled my Kyokugura lugs, and I'm getting a set of spline drives (Gorrilas?) from DTC, as well as the hub-centering rings when I pick them up this afternoon.

Pics will be up soon!

wh03lse
05-30-2008, 09:12 AM
couldnt find it but does anyone have tuner lug nuts on their STOCK wheels?
(i.e work, rays etc...)
are the stock lugs sized 1.25mm or 1.50mm?

sounds dumb but idk if anyone has or if its even possible to...
if so post pics! thanks!!!

william
05-30-2008, 11:35 AM
the stock rims will not work with tapered lugs. My guess for ones that would work are the spoon black lugs. They are non tapered.

wh03lse
05-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Ooo i see any other suggestions?
idk with my stockies curbed and too lazy to wanna save up a grip for rims i was thinking might as well get some good tires for a change and lug nuts to spruce it up haha (cheapo asian no name brand tires kinna scare me while driving u knoe what i mean lol)

MugsyTheGr8
05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Ooo i see any other suggestions?
idk with my stockies curbed and too lazy to wanna save up a grip for rims i was thinking might as well get some good tires for a change and lug nuts to spruce it up haha (cheapo asian no name brand tires kinna scare me while driving u knoe what i mean lol)
you shouldnt use tuner lugs with stock wheels. the thread isnt the problem but the seat. they wont seat well and will not properly secure your wheel to the hub.

wh03lse
06-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Hee hee!

Discount Tire Just called, and my order arrived today. I cancelled my Kyokugura lugs, and I'm getting a set of spline drives (Gorrilas?) from DTC, as well as the hub-centering rings when I pick them up this afternoon.

Pics will be up soon!

are these colored or what
im looking at konig runaways what lugs would work with them... idk im weird i want some colored ones haha