PDA

View Full Version : Switched Accessory how-to??

cmk05
03-01-2003, 04:26 PM
I just purchased the following:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F007%5F008%5F000&product%5Fid=275%2D706

I'd like to throw this into the dummy switch cover to the right of the shifter to switch my direct wired radar detector.

Where behind the shifter can I find a good switched (on with ignition) lead?

This is my 1st post, by the way - just found this site and it rocks just like my new car. 600 miles after day 5 and she's loosening up and settling in so nicely. It's been nearly a week and I thought it's about time to start prying around and poking holes.

BlasTech
03-01-2003, 04:39 PM
So when you are driving, you'll have the option to turn off the radar if you want, right?

You'll probably have the best luck using the 12v outlet as the power source for that. The best part is that its fairly easy to get to.

Using a small flathead screwdriver (with some tape on it, and a t-shirt or hankey, to keep from scratching your plastic) you can carefully pry the panel holding the 12V accessory plug out from the console. I recommend going from where it makes a kind of "corner".

once you get the panel loose, you'll notice that it has a harness. the black wire is the ground, the other (red?) is power.

cmk05
03-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Exactly - so that it's easy and convenient to switch the radar on and off as I need it - eg passing through heavy traffic, strip malls, local roads.
Plus, it's the first idea i could come up with to plug up that blank switch cover.

Is that 12v accessory socket switched with the ignition? I guess I should just go outside and check. I probably won't get started on this til it gets light tomorrow. That'd work out nicely.

Thanks.

Surprise
03-01-2003, 06:56 PM
I replaced the silver filler hole with an accesory socket.

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/509/9271/p/242161_7774419260101043121_v.jpg

And yes the cig lighter is switched

JLannoo
03-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Surprise
I replaced the silver filler hole with an accesory socket.

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/509/9271/p/242161_7774419260101043121_v.jpg

And yes the cig lighter is switched

I would like to do this,did you do a how to or anything?

BlasTech
03-01-2003, 07:05 PM
I cant wait to have some use for that thing.

an AC outlet would be neato, but who needs it?

An audio-in jack would be good.

Surprise
03-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by JLannoo

I would like to do this,did you do a how to or anything?

No I did not make a how to for this. But it is not difficult to do. I wanted to use the factory outlet, but like many, found out that the indentation for the plate was too small. So instead I bought thishttp://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/270/270-1556.jpg

The actual outlet comes apart from the mounting face that is shown. I tapped into the existing outlet, ran the wires, avoiding the shifter linkage and had to use a bit of sandpaper to enlarge the existing hole. There is plenty of room behind the silver plate so I had no worries.

JLannoo
03-01-2003, 07:36 PM

I think I saw that same one at a store the other day.

DownTheHatch
03-01-2003, 11:15 PM
I know what I'm gonna do with mine eventually. I'm going to install an Ignited Red Push Button starter just like the s2000, best thing about the Ignited buttons is they are made to fit in lighter socket holes, which is just the right size.

cmk05
03-02-2003, 12:45 AM
I tried taking off the factory accessory socket panel to take a look and to figure a plan. It'd be nice to be able to splice into those wires to feed the radar detector, but there was hardly any free play in that wire - the connector barely clears the bracket. Also, I had hardly a cm to work with between the connector and split loom tubing. I'm unsure if I want to attempt any splicing and soldering in such a confined space.

Does anyone know of any other more easily accessible switched wires?

While looking around, I noticed this car has, by far, the neatest and most efficient behind/under dash wiring I've ever seen. I'm used to seeing a tangled mess, but it's so tidy. Looks like there's even a little tray behind the 12V socket panel to catch loose screws!

cmk05
03-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Got the switch in last weekend and it's pretty cool.

Ended up wiring the switch to the 12v accessory socket circuit by making a 2" extension cord to splice into - turns out standard spade connectors fit nicely into the fancy connector.

I mounted my radar detector directly onto the headboard above the rearview mirror by reversing the suction cup mount and throwing in some screws into the angled part just behind the dome light. Came out pretty clean and neat - I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Thanks for the advice all.

Si4U2NV
03-06-2003, 05:08 PM
cmk05...can u explain in a lil more detail how u wired it to a accessory? did u just lengthen the power wire going to the cig lighter thing then splice into it? cuz ive been looking to do the SAME EXACT THING....lemme know please...

-Mike:)

2K2SilverSi
03-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by cmk05
Got the switch in last weekend and it's pretty cool.

Ended up wiring the switch to the 12v accessory socket circuit by making a 2" extension cord to splice into - turns out standard spade connectors fit nicely into the fancy connector.

I mounted my radar detector directly onto the headboard above the rearview mirror by reversing the suction cup mount and throwing in some screws into the angled part just behind the dome light. Came out pretty clean and neat - I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Thanks for the advice all.

THat is how I did it to avoid cutting the factory wireing. Those spade connectors came in real handy :D