PDA

View Full Version : How do you drive?

cmk05
03-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Over the past few years, I've developed the habit of always keeping the car in gear with clutch engaged -whether accelerating, cruising or slowing down.
I find I have better control over the car and its speed and balance when driving like this and it's why I don't like auto trannies.
Obviously, I'll switch gears to keep the motor spinning at the appropriate revs.
The car will be out of gear, in neutral, only while while stopped, like at a traffic light.

Alright - on to the question - is the extensive use of engine braking bad for the motor or tranny at all? I figure no/light load revving shouldn't be harmful - so long as the oil continues to circulate. I once had an overheating-prone VW that appreciated the cooling effects of engine braking.
I use it all the time: whether in the twisties, heavy traffic, or slowing down for tollbooths and lights. I'm concerned about the longevity of the car as this is my first new one.

Most MT drives seem to use the gearbox only to 'go'. When they're not accelerating, they'll coast the car by popping the tranny into neutral or stomping on the clutch. This seems wrong to me.

There are differing driving styles/ techniques, of course - how do you do it?

By the way, is engine braking the same as trail-braking? I heard that term used about 8 years ago in an issue of motor-trend where they were describing how to attack this particular race course in a Ferrari F355.

My apologies for the supalong post...

JLannoo
03-01-2003, 05:29 PM
I down shift thru gears when I feel I need it. For example when its slippery or whatever and I want to slow down without the brakes.

Otherwise,normally I just leave it in whatever gear I may be in. Then put it in neutral right before I come to a complete stop at a stoplight,sign etc.

TrippZ
03-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by JLannoo
I down shift thru gears when I feel I need it. For example when its slippery or whatever and I want to slow down without the brakes.

Otherwise,normally I just leave it in whatever gear I may be in. Then put it in neutral right before I come to a complete stop at a stoplight,sign etc.

same here

iR-VTEC2
03-01-2003, 06:47 PM
I pretty much heel and toe every chance i get :D.
People somethings look at me like im reving at them.
Our EP's have a whacky pedal setup if you ask me. Hmmmm i wonder if new pedals will fix that.

cmk05
03-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Besides practice, how do you heel-toe with good brake control while minimizing drivetrain lash? When I attempt to heel-to into a corner, I often find my timing waaay off on the braking and have trouble engaging the downshift gear (esp 1st of 2nd) without any jerkiness.

Is there an easy, proper way to do this?

blueiedgod
03-02-2003, 01:55 PM
most fo the times i just use the clutch to "go" and when i need to slwo down, just leave it in gear i am in and use the brakes until i am almost stalling out, and then release clutch. in stop and go, i usually keep it in either 1st or second depending on the speed of traffic, and just play with throttle to keep up with other cars. as far as cornering, i usually down shift into the gear i anticipate needing coming out of the corner right before going into the corner. my logic is, i need both of my hands controlling the steering wheel while in the corner.

blueiedgod
03-02-2003, 01:56 PM
most of the times i just use the clutch to "go" and when i need to slwo down, just leave it in gear i am in and use the brakes until i am almost stalling out, and then release clutch. in stop and go, i usually keep it in either 1st or second depending on the speed of traffic, and just play with throttle to keep up with other cars. as far as cornering, i usually down shift into the gear i anticipate needing coming out of the corner right before going into the corner. my logic is, i need both of my hands controlling the steering wheel while in the corner.

BlackFL2k2Si
03-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Since this is the first stick car I have owned and being that I have recently learned stick about a month ago, when slowing down to a light, I put it into neutral and cruise into it. Just easier for me that way until I get more comfortable with the car.

william
03-02-2003, 09:53 PM
I dont think that engine braking will be hard on your engine, but your clutch may not last as long.