PDA

View Full Version : the SI motor and the RSX Type S motor

Ivtecsimia
07-29-2002, 06:24 PM
Hey guy.....i heard that the SI motor and the Type S motor are just about the same......that the SI motor is a detuned ver. of it....... so i went down to my trustly local shop and i was told that the motors amost the same EXCEPT..the intake manifold, throtle body. tranny, cams...cam gears.. what i want to know is ....can i make these changes to my motor? will it all fit correctly and has any one done it?????? thanx john

SpeedRacer
07-29-2002, 06:49 PM
to my knowledge the intake manifold is the same on are cars as the type S and i think the throttlebody is too and i am almost positive about this but not 100%

iR-VTEC2
07-29-2002, 06:52 PM
Answer: Yes. Yes you can
Yes. All the parts should fit
Maybe.

Another alternative would to just drop the entire K20A2 engine from the Type S into your car. There would be some minor modifications needed but nothing your local shop couldnt handle

xlr8
07-29-2002, 07:09 PM
all those parts would probably fit. but the k20a2 has 11:1 compression ours is alittle under 10:1, the whole bottom end of the motor is balanced, and both cams have vtec lobes ours are just on the intake. so it would be better to just swap the whole thing in

Ivtecsimia
07-29-2002, 07:36 PM
well thanx guys........i guess the 1st few grand i haev to waste .......lol.....i heard of some guy doing it ...he payed roughly 10G's for the motor(type S)......he was in some mag....cant recall..

chunky
07-29-2002, 07:53 PM
the main thing that the type-s has that we don't have is the head.

i'd wait till those become readily availible, then just swap the type-s head on.

That would

a) allow you to rev to 8000rpm
b) give you exhaust side vtec
c) allow you to keep the si's bottom end with the 2nd order harmonic balancer - saps up some torque, but helps lengthen engine life.
d) you get to keep the EPS, yay!

after that, you are but a transmission & compression bump away from a type-s motor.

that's how I'm planning to go for my future n/a setup.

but hell, why not just hold out for the type-r head?

MadMax
07-29-2002, 07:55 PM
all those parts would probably fit. but the k20a2 has 11:1 compression ours is alittle under 10:1, the whole bottom end of the motor is balanced, and both cams have vtec lobes ours are just on the intake. so it would be better to just swap the whole thing in

Well put.
The cheaper solution, however would be to get intake, header and exhaust which has proven to be good for about 20 hp with this car.
Or just wait for a turbo
:D

Ivtecsimia
07-29-2002, 08:21 PM
yeah i am plannen on doing that also.......i havent really been able to find alot of companys that make a header for hte SI....i have found HP makes one...any more ??

GP Si
07-29-2002, 08:26 PM
What i've been reading Jun,Toda,skunk2 have already produced cams & cam gears so you can do that everything is the same all we really need to do is retard the timing on i think the intake cam but all rsx & si parts are all the same

DownTheHatch
07-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Both of the K20's have identical bottom ends, the heads can be swapped for cheaper than buying all the parts seperate.

MadMax
07-29-2002, 10:12 PM
Both of the K20's have identical bottom ends,

Not exactly.
The K20A2 has different crank, rod and pistons. The bearing clearances are also different.
It may be possible to swap the heads but it wont completely turn a K20A3 into a K20A2.

stingyboy
07-29-2002, 10:32 PM
how long till a head becomes available? and how much does a swap like that usually cost?

SpeedRacer
07-29-2002, 11:48 PM
i dont know but i want it

IceD out N CALI
07-30-2002, 12:58 AM
only prob is the type s has a fully counterweighted crank, + beefier rods among other subtle differences that make it superior. We do have the same block so if u were to tear down the block (u could jus simply put in type r crank, rod piston, head etc) while keep'n same stock block on car, but i bet it'd cost a grip.

iR-VTEC2
07-30-2002, 02:41 AM
yeh. The type S' rods make ours looks like toothpics :/

MoodySi
08-01-2002, 09:17 AM
I think these engines are so new that in order to buy such parts you will have to wait a long time. The B-series motors are now old, but the parts are affordable and available. When our motors become old, the parts will be everywhere.

fishboy
08-01-2002, 11:46 AM
not just old, but old and common. yeah i want the type-s head.

SIborland
08-07-2002, 09:15 AM
Well the C/R ratio is 9.8:1 in our rides. You cant just swap the head off the RSX-S. It uses a three rocker system where ours only uses 2. You can always beef your engine up though using ITR pistons and cams, you can find them at www.jdmhondaparts.com...i dont like doing business with them though, theyre just not professional about things, but they do have the parts. Spoon should have its stuff out soon.

SarahVTEC
08-09-2002, 03:47 PM
http://pub70.ezboard.com/fbanzaytuningniponicofrm13.showMessage?topicID=67. topic

02blksi
08-10-2002, 11:30 AM
hollleee CHIT MANG!!! nice work on that swap.... -- joe who hopes a rsx-s egine and parts will suddenly appear on his doorstep LOL :)

Az02Si
08-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Why do i have a feeling that people are going to start dumping Type S heads on their cars and blow them up....Wonder what the piston sppeds on our motor with the S head will be like...hmmmmmmm....For some reason,i predict a lot of broken shit.