PDA

View Full Version : Shocks?

civic hatch boi
07-29-2002, 08:01 PM
OK, i'm thinking.... are adjustable shocks necessary or ... are they worth the money? non-adjustable are much cheaper and i don't really have money to spend... i want the h&r's bad but i've been told to wait til i have shocks so... nonadj. are cheaper so should i go for that or just wait for money for adj shocks? thnx for ur input.

stingyboy
07-29-2002, 10:38 PM
while you may not be adjusting the shocks all that often for ordinary street driving, typically better quality shocks simply are adjustable. i'd wait and get the best if i were you.

civic hatch boi
07-29-2002, 11:43 PM
well... for instance... kyb's make adj and non adj. would they be the same quality, other than the fact u can't change the stiffness?

SpeedRacer
07-29-2002, 11:52 PM
im not sure but i personally like adjustable shocks. For example i lowered my car on H&R sport springs and i dont feal it is low enough so next thing i will do is get adj. shocks to get me to the height i want. it might cost more but i got adj's on my last car too and it was much better. but you can lower you car with the springs i did and dont worry about your shocks for atleast a year.

civic hatch boi
07-30-2002, 07:10 PM
u can use shocks to control height too?? wow. i didn't know.

stingyboy
07-30-2002, 07:22 PM
well, some shocks have different perches you can set the springs on, so that way you *can* alter the height. but not with the firmness setting.

yeah, those kyb's non-adjustable would be fine, but many people use adjustables to improve handling - for example, by setting the rear more stiff than the front you can counteract the natural tendacy of a front wheel drive car's understeering and improve handling (even on the street, as well as autocrossing). with non adjustable you can't do stuff like that.

civic hatch boi
07-30-2002, 07:44 PM
but other than that, they're both good rite? the cheaper the better for me :)

dustinhurley
07-30-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
im not sure but i personally like adjustable shocks. For example i lowered my car on H&R sport springs and i dont feal it is low enough so next thing i will do is get adj. shocks to get me to the height i want. it might cost more but i got adj's on my last car too and it was much better. but you can lower you car with the springs i did and dont worry about your shocks for atleast a year.

It's Racing HART, valentine ;)

2k2civicSi
07-30-2002, 10:06 PM
i didnt think you could controll ride hight with adj shocks