PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Tips?

simann
03-03-2003, 06:17 PM
I changed my oil yesterday, and God Almighty!With my friend helping me, we spent over 3 and a half hours! I usually do it on any other car in just 20 - 30 min. , The thing that slowed me was the oil filters placement....what the heck were the designers smokin? I could barely fit the filter wrench in the tight little space, I also had to take the right front wheel (car on jackstands) to give me some space.

Anyway, do any of you guys have the "special tool" listed in the owners manual to get the oil filter out easier (besides using a base filter wrench)? Give me some tips, or how YOU did your own oil change!!!!:o

Mugen_EP
03-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Well on my first oil change I swear the oil filter was torqued on to about 90 lbs. I was getting pist so I ended up just putting a screwdriver through it:D It seemed to be my only choice. Now I keep it hand tight so it makes it a breeze.

simann
03-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I had such a hard time with it I think I am just gonna get it changed at dealership now! The oil filter is in the most retarded place I have ever seen an oil filter be placed. Its even worse for my brother who has a 03' Type-S RSX, he only trusts himself to do the oil change, heheh, I only trust myself also! Thats why I need some info on what tools people use(d) to get their filter off with.. :cool:

TravisEP3
03-03-2003, 07:25 PM
I use one of these style wrenches every time I do my oil changes now. http://www.autopart.com/Tools/pictures/75dpi/CDefault-94.jpg

It makes it sooo much easier because you can get to it then with a rachet. I found mine at a local car parts store (Pepboys). It was only a couple bucks. To find out which size you need, just match it up with a new filter. Oil changes are a breeze now. Oh and the first one.. My God was mine mangled all to shit when I finally got it off. :o

simann
03-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Thanks Man! your a life saver...my friend actually remembered after the change, that he had one of those type's i forgot about those!!!!!!!

chunky
03-03-2003, 08:16 PM
I dunno If i just have brutish arms or what, but the oil filter was tight the first time, but not THAT tight. I got it off with a set of gloves so my hands didn't slip.

1) always change oil when engine is hot. not warm, hot, that helps get the oil out of there quicker, and it carries out more of the gunk that otherwise cools and sticks to parts.

2) To aid when attempting to change the oil when the engine is hot, loosen (do not remove) the drain bolt with the socket, have a rag nearby. Take the socket off the ratchet, and then use that to turn the drain bolt. Pushe on the socket so that the drain bolt doesn't just pop out when it's loose - you'll splatter oil everywhere that way. Just keep turning till you are certain the bolt is off, then in one quick motion, pull the socket away, and if you're good, the bolt will still be on it.

3) oil filter access is a BITCH on this car if you are not wise in the ways of the oil change jedi. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then reach up behind the passenger side wheel, and you can get to the oil filter with NO problem, and you don't have to deal with the HOT exhaust manifold. The driveshaft is kinda hot, but it's not that bad at all. When removing the oil filter, it's best to do it with the car as level as possible - jack the car up only high enough to barely lift the front wheels off the ground - this will create a gap between the lower suspension arm and the body to pull the filter out.

Anyhow, if you get good, it only takes a few min for a quick oil change (I like to let my motor drain for like 20 min) and can be done with minimal spillage and burn scars.

also, before installing a new oil filter, clean the oil filter seat with a rag, then LUBRICATE the new oil filter's gasket with some fresh motor oil - very thinly. The rule of thumb for tightening the oil filter is 1/4 turn past when the gasket first touches the seat.

HondaMan
03-03-2003, 08:20 PM
I did my oil change for the first time last weekend and found it easier to get to the filter from the top. It took me about 30 mins to complete, but I had seen other threads about what a bitch it is to get to the filter. The Honda designers did not do a good job of placing the filter in good place!

simann
03-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Chunky, thanks for the info...but you make me feel dumb hahahahaha. I have been changing oil in my families array of cars, domestic and import for a VERY long time, I was just stating that this was the worst oil change expiriance I have ever had.

I took the front wheel off for unsurpassed visability of the filter.
Next time it will be easier , I know it will..the first times always crazy, hahahaha

But thanks though man! At least I am not alone on this one....;)

Keep it real you all! Hopefully the next oil change wil go
smoother?

Mugen_EP
03-03-2003, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chunky
[B]I dunno If i just have brutish arms or what, but the oil filter was tight the first time, but not THAT tight. I got it off with a set of gloves so my hands didn't slip.

What have you been up to??
:D :eek: :confused:

chunky
03-03-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by simann
Chunky, thanks for the info...but you make me feel dumb hahahahaha. I have been changing oil in my families array of cars, domestic and import for a VERY long time, I was just stating that this was the worst oil change expiriance I have ever had.

I took the front wheel off for unsurpassed visability of the filter.
Next time it will be easier , I know it will..the first times always crazy, hahahaha

But thanks though man! At least I am not alone on this one....;)

Keep it real you all! Hopefully the next oil change wil go
smoother?

ahh, didn't mean to make you feel dumb. Taking off the wheel is good, but you can get to it with the wheel still on, which cuts down on time required.

The older B-series oil filters were worse to deal with IMO. There was NO way to avoid getting under the car to get the filter, and there was a MUCH greater risk of burning your hands on the exhaust, and also bad spillage was a part of life, it just sucked to change the oil on my 2000 civic si. the EP3 is much better IMO.

hondaman:

how the heck did you get to it from above? I can't reach my hands down in there w/o burning them on the manifold when the motor is hot.

mugen_ep:

I'm not sure I like what you're implying. . . . ;)

I just work out somewhat regularly. . . so i have decent arm strength i guess.

HondaMan
03-04-2003, 07:13 AM
how the heck did you get to it from above? I can't reach my hands down in there w/o burning them on the manifold when the motor is hot.

chunky,
Very carefully and it helps to have long arms...hehe. I did get a very minor & small burn off the manifold, luckily the manifold was not real hot. Any ways, it wasn't hard to do it that way...also, I just let the filter drop into the catch basin (no spillage type). I will do your turn the wheel trick next time, sounds easier. ;)

si02racerboi
03-04-2003, 10:29 AM
3 hours!?!? man i change oil for a job and we do a car less than 10 MINUTES here at jiffy lube.

hayseed
03-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Try - just once - changing the filter on a Miata.:eek:

Worst. Filter. Location. Ever. The EP is cake in comparison.

hamproof
03-04-2003, 02:00 PM
I changed mine this past weekend. First time ever changing oil. I can't imagine how worst can any other car oil filter be located at.

I used ramps. So, turning the wheel to the left is not an option. I tried using a filter wrench but that just mangled the existing filter coz' I can't get a good grip on the filter either from the bottom or top. It was such a pain getting my hands through the gap. I tried attacking it from all point of entrance. Any holes I can find, I put my hand through :p

In the end, I bought filter cap and after many many tries, I manage to take it off. The damn cap keep slipping off.

Anyway, it will be easy in the future. I just think it was torqued too tightly from the factory.

I also noticed there's no washer on the oil pan bolt! I ordered Honda filters and washer online. Needless to say, I put on a new washer.

I also used Mobil1 5w30 Synthetic oil. Cost about $24/6qts. from Costco. In the 2 days I've been driving the car, the gas gauge hardly moves. I'm at 250miles or so. Usually at 260miles, the low gas light will come on. I'll know for sure if my gas mileage improve or not. Probably it'll be more accurate over the next 2 fill ups.

JSIR
03-04-2003, 02:58 PM
once you get the right wrench its only a 10 min job at the most. I take the filter off from above the engine so I don't even have to go under the car, its a snap. I lift the car a small amount to get the drain bolt off and a pan underneath that is it, I just reach under with my arm and no need to go under the car, drain the oil and take the filter off from above. I hate sitting under a raised vehicle so it is great doing it from above. I torque the filter into place from above too, easy way to install it properly without worrying how many turns is required. I ended up spending a small fortune on the Honda oil wrench part, but its paid for itself a few times over in oil changes and with ease of operation. Well worth the cost, although you can find ones that work at parts stores too.

chakra71
03-04-2003, 04:29 PM
while searching for info about changing to synthetic i stumbled across this thread. I'm thinking of switching over this weekend, and was wondering if i need to flush the old oil out, of if a little bit of the old stuff would hurt in the conversion.

i don't want to get into the discussion of what types of synthetic you guys use, i can find those in a search. just need words on flushing, pros, cons and how to do it properly if needed.

Thanks, John

simann
03-04-2003, 05:18 PM
How much was the Honda Oil Filter wrench Mechanism?:o

IN VTEC
03-04-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
once you get the right wrench its only a 10 min job at the most. I take the filter off from above the engine so I don't even have to go under the car, its a snap. I lift the car a small amount to get the drain bolt off and a pan underneath that is it, I just reach under with my arm and no need to go under the car, drain the oil and take the filter off from above. I hate sitting under a raised vehicle so it is great doing it from above. I torque the filter into place from above too, easy way to install it properly without worrying how many turns is required. I ended up spending a small fortune on the Honda oil wrench part, but its paid for itself a few times over in oil changes and with ease of operation. Well worth the cost, although you can find ones that work at parts stores too.

Wow Joe....you're everywhere I go. Watch me flow. Yo.:p

simann
03-05-2003, 08:18 PM
Why are you thinking of swithing to synthetic, your car CAME with synthetic. also, I get Honda Motor oil, its synthetic, and is made buy Exxon if I am not mistaken (its on bottle). I prefer 5w-20 versus 5w-30 because of the thickness , the thinner 5w-20 is better if you driver harder and want faster RPM acceleration. But as stated above, 5w-30 iss better for fuel economy, thats what I was tought at least... am I right or wrong?:o

hamproof
03-06-2003, 06:19 AM
Where did you get your info about Honda using synthetic in the Si? Even the rumors that there's some special break-in oil is hearsay and it is not confirmed.

Personally, I believe it is a special blend of regular oil and synthetic oil and it is not specific to 5w20. But that's just my opinion.

I also don't think Honda oil is full synthetic. How much do they charge by the quart?

As far as I know, OEM makers making high performance/luxury cars use full synthetic. Even Audi on the lowest A4 (possibly S4) platform uses regular oil. Bummers and Mercedes use full synthetic even on their entry level cars. I simply do not see Honda spending $3 more on the Si using full synthetic. Maybe $1 wholesale :)

simann
03-06-2003, 08:47 PM
I looked on my Honda Motor Oil bottle ( made bt Exxon, I was right) and its regualr oil not synthetic. The technician I talked to on the phone today at honda said that Honda normally puts regular oil in for the "break in period" but after that, its the owners descression of what oil to put in, depending on if the owner knows what theyt are talkin about.

But overall, I amthinking of trying 5W-30 next, to see if I get better miledge, and since I drive VERY HARD each day, to see if 5W-30 reacts better than the 20.

Anyone know "FACTS" about oil in this forum????:o

Surprise
03-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by simann
Anyone know "FACTS" about oil in this forum????:o

The best forum for oil that I have been able to find is http://theoildrop.server101.com take a look and ask some questions, there are a lot of members that are very knowledgabel about oil. If you really want to know how well your oil is working you should perform an oil analysis.

simann
03-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Thanks man!!! another life (motor) saver!!;)