PDA

View Full Version : Finally picked up my kit

DownTheHatch
03-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Yup just got home.

I drove 2 hrs to jacksonville to pick it up from aerotrends, all 4 pieces fit in my ep.

I test fitted the front bumper when I got home, the bumper support needed to be taken off and it looks like thats all the modification that needs to be done it fits great.

It will need to be installed by a professional shop as there are a few things that need to be touched up or sanded.

So right now I'll be scouting out good body shops, let me know if you know of any in my area.

RacingCivicSi02
03-04-2003, 09:43 PM
what kit is it?? buddy club??

DownTheHatch
03-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Yea my dream kit :)

The guy said I'm probably the first person on the east coast with it right now, they only had 1.

Makross
03-04-2003, 09:53 PM
tight.. what color is your hatch?? post pics ASAP!!

RacingCivicSi02
03-04-2003, 09:58 PM
let us know if we are going to remove our brace support. when u get it done by the shop.

DownTheHatch
03-05-2003, 08:08 AM
The buddy club kit sucks.

I just test fitted the rear today, the rear bumper has to be removed also, and I can't even test fit it because the stock exhaust hits the bottom of the bumper.

So I could try to somehow flip the stock exhaust upside down, which looks impossible, or I have to buy a new exhaust system.

List of unexpected things that will piss you off if you bought the jspec buddy club kit:
Front bumper has to be removed
Rear bumper has to be removed
Aftermarket exhaust system is required, probably a single canister type that sits up about 2in higher than stock tips.

The side skirts fit but they don't look like they line up good, not like an oem part atleast.

All in all about $400 in new JDM bumper supports, $500 on a new exhaust, and $1000 in body work if not more.

ssvr6
03-05-2003, 08:24 AM
I thought that you knew all of that?

You can have a muffler shop modify the stock piping to make it fit better (still costs $). As for the supports, you could try to "grind them down" so that they fit. Other wise, you're right about the costs and fittiment issues.

Oh yeah, StrongBad RULEZ!

"Hey Stinko Man, everybody says that you're the guy, but I wanna be the guy too!" "No way, you're just a kid, maybe when you're older."

Steve

DownTheHatch
03-05-2003, 08:36 AM
can't grind down the bumper supports, the reason they don't fit is not only because they stick out too far, its because they come down too far, they are physically too tall.

Looks like I wont be having this kit on for awhile.

ssvr6
03-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Wow, that sucks bro. Good luck with it all.

Steve

EnJaNir
03-05-2003, 11:41 AM
I called a couple shops and was quoted at roughly 600 for paint and install depending on quality of kit. This was from a very reputable shop, so when my kit comes in..im bringing it up and see whats up. Ill also try to take as many pics as possible and keep everyone updated. For now i will most likely just remove my front bumper supports, until i can get JDM bumper supports. Chuck @showstoppers will be trying them out, if they fit and work well, i will put those on a little later.

02SilverSiHB
03-05-2003, 02:01 PM
sounds like I'll be going with an oem kit...if I can get used to the front bumper...or just get the D3 kit
Sorry to hear your probs with the kit man :(

EnJaNir
03-05-2003, 02:16 PM
question though, i dont understand how you can say that removing the front and rear bumpers are problems. It is known, or should have been known, or rather obvious that the BC 3 kit, comes with side skirts, and complete front and rear bumpers. That is how the kit was made it should not have been a problem.

Yes the fact that the front bumper supports have to be removed is a problem, but you should also have known that, if you did not want to deal with that you should have ordered the USDM front bumper with the kit (2" lower).

The other problem would indeed be the fact that your stock exhaust will not fit properly.

Before you bought the kit, i would think that you would have done some research.

sorry if it sounds bad...but a few of your "problems" really are not problems

integ77
03-05-2003, 07:55 PM
hey whatsup man,

im one of the workers at aerotrends, and i was there when you picked it up.

i tried to tell you that my cousin has the jdm buddy club for the rsx and that he had to take his rear bumper support off, and that you would probably have to also. and you also sed while you were there that you knew you had to take the front one off.

and i also tried to tell you about the exhaust, the buddy club kit is made SPECIFICALLY for the buddy club exhaust. you told me you were aware of the modifications that were needed. and when you told me that this is your website, i figured you knew everything that was involved. you cant deny, the quality of the kit is very good. but as with any aftermarket, fiberglass kit, slight modifications will be needed.

i am sorry that it wasnt everything that you expected. i hope it all works out for you.

my cousins driving around right now with no front support, no rear support, AND no exhasut.....his kit fits good but its not perfect. its in the shop now getting worked on. you can check his car out here:

http://www.onlineshowoff.com/index.asp?section=profile&username=dc5integ

Glix
03-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Fiberglass?!?! :confused:

I wouldn't pay all that money to have a fiberglass kit put on my car.. Take it back!!!

DownTheHatch
03-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Hey integ, yea I knew modifications had to be done, but I was under the impression from one of your salespersons that all I had to do was grind down the bumper support to make it fit, then I think someone else told me the whole thing had to be taken off, after I had already drove up and picked the kit up. Also, I was told by this same person that the exhaust had to be lowered 1", it has to be raised, and I never heard that it was made for the buddy club exhaust only.

Its okay though, I'm not gonna stress, I was just a little upset yesterday, I'm gonna make it work. I'm gonna go get some estimates today or tomorrow.

Damn stringent US bumper laws. I need to move to Japan :)

IceD out N CALI
03-06-2003, 12:50 PM
sorry to hear about the probs with your kit, hope it works out for you, i'd love to see it on the ep

EnJaNir
03-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Let me know what you end up paying for paint and install...if my kit gets delivered this weekend, beginning of the week, im gonna get it priced out, i already have the shop picked out and have been given a rough estimate. Id be interested to see what the cost difference is and how the final product ends up looking between the two of us.

DownTheHatch
03-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Okay I got my estimate today, looks like it'll be $800-$900 with installation + paint

This guy does awesome work I walked around his shop he has like a miata he turned into a z3, a faux lamborghini kit car, a bunch of other stuff in there that looks top notch. The kit I have fits real well so I don't think it'll be a problem for him.

EnJaNir
03-08-2003, 08:34 AM
Sweet, the only thing i worry about is my exhaust and rear sway.

I was given a rough estimate of 600, but i figure it will be close to yours. Probs take it to the shop on Tuesday.

Type X
03-11-2003, 10:17 AM
nice purchase

just do what i did

take it to the shop
tell them i want the paint flawless, the kit on and i dont care how they do it

and tell them whatever the amount is just call me the day before and it will be in my hand when i pick up the car ;)

i drop the Type R kit to be painted monday!
total installed and painted price = 1000 cash:cool:

money well spent IMO

it flakes = i bring it back
screw falls out = i bring it back

its ALWAYS good to have people to bitch at :D

josh2323
03-28-2003, 11:49 AM
the body shop that put on my type r kit had to take off the front bumper support in order to install it they charged me 240 w/o paint so currently im driving around with what looks like an off white kit.