PDA

View Full Version : something's wrong with my susp.

iR-VTEC2
03-05-2003, 04:43 AM
Ok...ive noticed a knocking (midrange sound) everytime im parked and move my steering wheel back and forth.

I jacked up the car and took off the wheel and nothing i could see was wrong however, the steering shaft that connects to the susp. has this ball join with a stud comin down. There's a lug nut on it from beneath. This lug nut twists everytime i turn the wheel. On the other side of the car it doesnt. The nut on the side that doesnt turn has 7 threads from the bottom before where the nut is. The driver side (the bad side) has 4. I cant tigthen it at ALL. When i try , the entire thing spins.

Would this cause the knocking sound, is it dangerous (most likely) and can i fix it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
C

JoshSI
03-05-2003, 09:33 AM
I have the exact same problem with my car. I have GCs and everytime i move the stering wheel ESPECIALLY going slow or stoped the cars starts squeeking, twanging, and poping. Not to mention it does it constantly on all the bumps in the road. IM FED UP!!! SOMEONE HELP US!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

chunky
03-05-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by iR-VTEC2
Ok...ive noticed a knocking (midrange sound) everytime im parked and move my steering wheel back and forth.

I jacked up the car and took off the wheel and nothing i could see was wrong however, the steering shaft that connects to the susp. has this ball join with a stud comin down. There's a lug nut on it from beneath. This lug nut twists everytime i turn the wheel. On the other side of the car it doesnt. The nut on the side that doesnt turn has 7 threads from the bottom before where the nut is. The driver side (the bad side) has 4. I cant tigthen it at ALL. When i try , the entire thing spins.

Would this cause the knocking sound, is it dangerous (most likely) and can i fix it.

Thanks
C

take it to the dealership.

that tie rod end might just need to have the nut tightened.

31102si
03-05-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by JoshSI
I have the exact same problem with my car. I have GCs and everytime i move the stering wheel ESPECIALLY going slow or stoped the cars starts squeeking, twanging, and poping. Not to mention it does it constantly on all the bumps in the road. IM FED UP!!! SOMEONE HELP US!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I also have GC's and the samething is happing to me. mine does it on the right side (passenger side) mostly. what the fuck is going on! :(

David K.
03-05-2003, 01:31 PM
When I had my H&Rs installed the struts were reassembled incorrectly, causing a popping or clicking sound at low speed or standstill. Don't know if this is what you all are experiencing, but basically the whole Mcpherson (spelling?) strut setup is new to most people and shops that deal w/ Hondas. I would go to a reputable shop or to a Honda dealer and have them inspect it.

dchu
03-05-2003, 02:18 PM
You probably need to align the shock hat and bearing. I just put in H&R sports this weekend and installed them incorrectly because I was rushed. If the hat and bearing aren't set a certain way, it'll make the popping sounds you described. I redid them and it's quiet as stock again.

02SilverSiHB
03-05-2003, 02:25 PM

Thanks
C
I really think this sound is coming from the rubber part of the top shock assembly. did you lower your car yourself?
I had this problem a while back before I left....I would hear this knock sound and almost feel a vibrating when the sound occured. It only happened when I was either parked and turned the wheel, or when I was going extremely slow while turning the wheel.

I believe it has to do with 1: not lubing that rubber part enough, and 2: not seating it back together correctly upon reinstalling. I was going to uninstall and reinstall the suspension, but I got lucky and just kept turning the coils around and around, till I felt that the rubber boot on the top of the shock assembly was sitting better...since then, no problems...but once I get back, I'll be reinstalling it.

I hope this explanation helps, it's rather hard to explain.
Here's is a pic.....I'm talking about the the rubber part that sits on the springs/coils on the top. I believe that when uninstalled it loses it's lubrication with the new coils....so the new coils will stick to the rubber more, and cause the coils to make this rubber slip and turn irractically when turning the steering wheel....making that knocking sound occur.
From my understanding what should happen is when the you turn the steering wheel, the coils and that rubber part should stay together and move at the same time. But sometimes, you may hear the coils sliding through, making that knocking sound....that's why it sounds so deep and vibrates when the sound is made.

http://www.pryor.ws/honda/pics/HRSprings03.JPG

I hope I made since, it's soooooo hard to explain :(
If I'm way off....someone speak up :D

Beachya
03-05-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
[B]

2: not seating it back together correctly upon reinstalling. I was going to uninstall and reinstall the suspension, but I got lucky and just kept turning the coils around and around, till I felt that the rubber boot on the top of the shock assembly was sitting better...since then, no problems...]

Yep Yep. Thats what I did too, been okay since.

!@#$%
03-05-2003, 03:57 PM
this is out of the import tuner spring install
He is pointing to the mark where the springs must be aligned.

CAPTION:
"Because the whole front suspension turns in this car, setting the springs correctly is key (they are marked with arrows to help) unless you like hearing a loud, "Cack, cack, cack"."

!@#$%
03-05-2003, 03:59 PM
here is the pic

iR-VTEC2
03-05-2003, 04:52 PM
Thank you so much guys. This really helps me a lot. So its not dangerous for me to drive around untill i fix it eh? And also, can someone give me a schematic of the suspension or show me how to actually fix it? hehe. Im kinda broke and i cant afford to pay anyone to fix it now.

:)

02SilverSiHB
03-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Thank you so much guys. This really helps me a lot. So its not dangerous for me to drive around untill i fix it eh? And also, can someone give me a schematic of the suspension or show me how to actually fix it? hehe. Im kinda broke and i cant afford to pay anyone to fix it now.

:)
well, lets see, if you can't take the suspension apart, you can try what I did. I'll try to explain the best I can.

All right,
1st, jack the car up on stands.
2nd take the wheels off
3rd take hold of the coils with your hand.....and this will sound nuts...but start turing the coils around and around...they will actually be easy to move since they are aftermarket springs...they are not as tall, so they won't sit in the assembly too tight.

Basically, just keep doing this till you feel it's sitting in there good, or doesn't make any noise....it may not even make any noise at all since there's no pressure/weight being put on the shocks...it's one of those things...try it, then put the wheels back on and then drive around/turn the wheel and see if it's good to go. Hopefully you'll get lucky the first time.

Good luck!

iR-VTEC2
03-05-2003, 11:58 PM
thanks for the info dude :) Can i do this by just jacking the car up with the honda jack one one side?

02SilverSiHB
03-06-2003, 03:19 AM
thanks for the info dude :) Can i do this by just jacking the car up with the honda jack one one side?
oh, yeah, that should be fine....just don't shake the car around too much and throw it off the oem jack :D

raiyo
07-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Just tried that turning the coil trick. I'll tell you guys if it worked out tomorrow when I move the car.