PDA

View Full Version : Gas Meter

most_hatedSi02
03-05-2003, 10:46 AM
I went to the gas station lastnight and filled up tank up w/ 8.5 Gallons of gas, which should have put me with a full tank. I noticed that when I got in my car the meter never moved from below the half-way point. I drove around the block and waited to see how long it would take to move up or if it would move up at all...it slowly crept up to F by the time I got home, it appears to be fine now but it shouldn't have taken 10 minutes to move all the way up, any suggestion so I'm not stuck w/o a tank of gas. I commute to work daily and would hate to be stuck on the highway. I may take it in on friday.

31102si
03-05-2003, 11:22 AM
That does seem really slow. my gage always goes right up to full.

CivicSi39
03-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Hey Man I had the same "problem", the first thing I would ask is "did you have the car running when you filled up with gas?" That is what happened when I left my car running and filled it up, it has something to do the way some cars read how much gas they have in car some cars you can some you can't leave it running. If your car wasn't running it would be a completely different animal.

CaptainMurphy
03-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Just use your trip odometer. The fuel light comes one with approx 3 gals on gas, which is anywhere from ~260-300 miles on that tank of gas, so just fill up every 270 miles or so if your fuel gauge isn't working.

mrfixit687
03-05-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by CivicSi39
Hey Man I had the same "problem", the first thing I would ask is "did you have the car running when you filled up with gas?" That is what happened when I left my car running and filled it up, it has something to do the way some cars read how much gas they have in car some cars you can some you can't leave it running. If your car wasn't running it would be a completely different animal.

uh wtf? why the hell would u fill up your car with gas with the engine running? thats dangerous and stupid as hell

most_hatedSi02
03-06-2003, 10:23 AM
I didn't fill my tank up with the engine on. I'm not stupid!
So I can rule that out as an option.

napapacoda
03-06-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by mrfixit687

uh wtf? why the hell would u fill up your car with gas with the engine running? thats dangerous and stupid as hell

lol, nothing like constructive criticism. why not next time tell him why its dangerous instead of just yelling at him, so he wont do it again. no need to bash someone who's just trying to help out another member.

SiR Medic
03-06-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by CivicSi39
I left my car running and filled it up,

:eek:

One word...

KER-BLAAM!

Z26
03-06-2003, 02:41 PM
Having the engine on makes no differance in this case. I have the same problem. It just happend again yesterday, I put i $5 last night because I was on E. I had the car off because I thought that would make a differance but it didnt. When I went to work my gas light was still on. But when I filled completely up today on my lunch break the gauge worked perfect. I think it has somthing to do with the cold but that just me. Its cold everywhere and I dont think everybody has the problem.

IceD out N CALI
03-08-2003, 08:49 AM
I noticed that happened to me once when i left the ignition to the "on" position. took like 20 min to get from "e" to "f" but then most other times i leave it on "on" position and no problems-go figure

most_hatedSi02
03-09-2003, 09:18 AM
You're totally right about that. I have had to fill up twice since that happend and it's not done it again. I filled up the tank with the key in "ON" position. I didn't notice any problems, I watched it lift as the tank filled. Maybe it was just a one time thing. I'm going to continue to monitor ir.
Thanks!

soniccar
03-10-2003, 06:09 PM
No, don't kid yourselves. Alot of the 2003 EP's have screwed up gas gauges. When I went for a test drive in my car, I noticed it had 30 miles on the odometer and almost a half of a tank. Well, maybe it wasn't full. So, when I filled it up the first time at half full, it took $2.50 and never filled up. Okay, maybe an air bubble got trapped, this happens.

15 fillups later, I got tired of it and went to the dealer. My 2000 Si was optimistic and dove when it got near 1/2, but at least it had 180 miles at half, with a 11.9 gallon tank. The EP has a 13+ gallon tank. So after you have to "convince" the friggin' dealer you have a problem, you wait 1 week for a new sending unit, they put it in in 2-3 friggin hours, and leave you no gas. Wait, I missed a step, they had trouble with their scan tool reporting a fault, so they keep it another night. They tell you they just pinched a wire 'cause there was no way 2 sending units could be bad. They just said that to send me on my way. I am at 1/4 tank at 36-40 miles and my light comes on at 200 miles so I am always filling up. That was one of the advantages I thought to having a car with a bigger tank. I get 30 miles per gallon, and 31 on Super and I haven't checked it with my first oil change this weekend. So, to my dealer, pop quiz, what's 30 x 6.5? It sure as hell isn't 80-100 miles like my trip meter states at 1/2 tank, moron.

I decided to live with it until Honda decides to acknowledge the problem with a TSB. I am not young but I still have to "convince" a service manager that my car has a problem when I have owned Hondas since before he was born. 3 gallons reserve my ass.

It's those British electrics. I have driven Jags, TR6's, Astons, Vauxhalls, and many Spitfires and there is one thing they all have in common (besides the light going off over bumps, needing another battery every 6 months, non-working speedos, oil leaks, etc.) and that is they never had a working gas gauge. So my EP holds up the proud tradition of screwed-up British electric crap.

TomR123
03-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by soniccar
and that is they never had a working gas gauge.

I find that true for all hondas in general, just a few examples:

My1995 civic lx: gas gauge would be on E and had about 1/2 tank left.

Friends 1997 Acura legend: Pretty much same problem and wouldn't move up for a long while after it got filled up

Friends 1995 Accord: Same as the rest

Acctually I think the EP has the best honda gas gauge I've ever seen. Not saying all that much I'm afraid.

soniccar
03-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am glad your gas gauge is working. However, mine is f'ed up. yellow light on = empty = 190 miles on tripmeter = 6.47 gallons at gas station. None of that adds up. Okay maybe I didn't fill it up all the way the last time.... or the time before that, or the time before that. Of course, I'd rather gas up at half a tank, but that only gets me 90 miles. Jeez.

I do agree that all the Hondas we've owned had slow moving gauges that dove to the half mark all-of-a-sudden at 1/4 tank. But I have never had one this far off. The 2000 Si was a little off, but it would take 7 gallons at half a tank. The following cars had the optimistic gas gauge but was not as screwed as the EP:

1977 Civic CVCC (1.5L, first car, POS)
1982 Civic 4 door (1.5L)
1984 Civic 4 door (1.5L)
1986 Accord LX 4 door (1.7L?)
1987 CRX Si (1.5L)
1988 CRX Si (1.6L)
1990 Accord EX (auto)
1992 Civic VX (dead, dead, dead)
1993 Civic EX Coupe
1995 Civic CX Hatch
1997 Civic HX Coupe
1999 Civic CX Hatch
2000 Civic EX Coupe (auto)
2000 Civic Si Coupe
2001 Civic LX Coupe

I admit that I need to be committed for owning so many Hondas, but I know that I am not crazy enough to not know when the fuel gauge doesn't work. Again, I am really glad your gauge works because that means your car has zero problems. My EP would have zero defects if it wasn't for this. I would go so far to say that the EP is tied for the funnest car I have ever had with the 1988 CRX Si and it NEVER had a problem. Well, maybe after a year.

TomR123
03-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Well if you had owned that many Fords or any other american car for that matter I would say you should be committed but for Hondas.... nah! Never say never, I hope I wont have problems, but its still a new car, and you never know what can happen. Hopefully it will earn its Honda reputation that precedes it.

most_hatedSi02
03-13-2003, 03:49 PM
That's too bad, that you're dealership sucks like that.
My dealership knows us all by first name b/c we buy so many cars from there. We do all of our maintenence there. When we have a problem, they're quick to fix it .

Dunrick
03-13-2003, 07:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am glad your gas gauge is working. However, mine is f'ed up. yellow light on = empty = 190 miles on tripmeter = 6.47 gallons at gas station. None of that adds up. Okay maybe I didn't fill it up all the way the last time.... or the time before that, or the time before that. Of course, I'd rather gas up at half a tank, but that only gets me 90 miles. Jeez.

I do agree that all the Hondas we've owned had slow moving gauges that dove to the half mark all-of-a-sudden at 1/4 tank. But I have never had one this far off. The 2000 Si was a little off, but it would take 7 gallons at half a tank. The following cars had the optimistic gas gauge but was not as screwed as the EP:

1977 Civic CVCC (1.5L, first car, POS)
1982 Civic 4 door (1.5L)
1984 Civic 4 door (1.5L)
1986 Accord LX 4 door (1.7L?)
1987 CRX Si (1.5L)
1988 CRX Si (1.6L)
1990 Accord EX (auto)
1992 Civic VX (dead, dead, dead)
1993 Civic EX Coupe
1995 Civic CX Hatch
1997 Civic HX Coupe
1999 Civic CX Hatch
2000 Civic EX Coupe (auto)
2000 Civic Si Coupe
2001 Civic LX Coupe

I admit that I need to be committed for owning so many Hondas, but I know that I am not crazy enough to not know when the fuel gauge doesn't work. Again, I am really glad your gauge works because that means your car has zero problems. My EP would have zero defects if it wasn't for this. I would go so far to say that the EP is tied for the funnest car I have ever had with the 1988 CRX Si and it NEVER had a problem. Well, maybe after a year.

Maybe you should buy a Civic next, I hear they're great little cars.

soniccar
03-13-2003, 09:32 PM
If you guys don't have this problem, ie you have about 260-300 miles on the trip meter before seeing Mr. Yellow Light, then you are okay. I bought the car very cheap, and you are right, sometimes it is better to get the car from a place with better service (like where I bought the Civic Ex). I like to get rid of a car before it becomes hard to get rid of and needs tires, batteries, and before I get too attached. In the case of the 2000 Civic Si, I would still have it if it were the Electron Blue, it had ABS (friggin stock Michelins almost killed me) and burned regular gas, and actually had pickup without trying to destroy the clutch at launch.

I am not trying to brag about the number of Civics we've had, on the contrary, I am trying to reinforce the point that the EP is the funnest Civic we've had right behind the 88 CRX Si (maybe tied). The best gas mileage has to be 1997 Civic HX (owned by another family member, now) which regularly gets 45-47mpg, still. Speaking of, my EP now gets 30 MPG giving thorough thrashings, and 32 mpg with regular gas, old man driving (no full throttle acceleration) and with a bottle of cheapo Gum-out octane booster from the KMART that is closing up.

HgSi
03-25-2003, 02:27 AM
and that is they never had a working gas gauge.

Haha... My grandfather's Dacia 1300 had a broken gas gauge, and no gas warning light. And somehow, he would always fill it when he needed to. I don't know how he did it. I always fill the EP when the light comes on, because I'm like "shit, what if I forget and I run out? I better do it now." If I didn't have at least the light, I would be running out of gas and getting stranded every other tank.

CgSi
03-25-2003, 04:19 AM
Happened to me once(at about 19,500 miles), took awhile to come up after I had filled

Hasn't happened since...

vtec24
03-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Here's the funny thing about my ep, it's a little backwards from all of your replys. Once my gauge gets down to about the half way mark, it will stay there for quite some time. Then it drops down to 1/4 of a tank full in like 2 minutes. It's pretty crazy if you ask me. It's like my gauge gets stuck in the gauge cluster or something. Hmmm, who knows. With all the technology, you would think they could get something as simple as this right.

Josh

MokujinX5
04-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by TomR123

I find that true for all hondas in general, just a few examples:

My1995 civic lx: gas gauge would be on E and had about 1/2 tank left.

Friends 1997 Acura legend: Pretty much same problem and wouldn't move up for a long while after it got filled up

Friends 1995 Accord: Same as the rest

Acctually I think the EP has the best honda gas gauge I've ever seen. Not saying all that much I'm afraid.

Now that you mention it... my 98 EK does the same... It only reads, F, 3/4, half, amlost E and E (though there's still gas in the tank) There's not a whole lot of inbetween.