PDA

View Full Version : new shiftknob and 00 CTR boot pics

jo3y
03-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Ok i finally got/installed/took pics of my new shifter setup. I went with a chrome shift knob that matches the ring around the bezel and, and i ordered a 00 CTR boot from options.com. I had to modify the boot a little and cut it down but it was pretty easy to do. The shift knob pattern is supposed to light up red but ive been having problems with it, it has el glo material to make the shift numbers light up but i think the cold has something to do with it not working. Anyway It matches the interior very nice and IMO is a nice improvement over stock

03hatch
03-06-2003, 02:18 AM
very cool...always wanted to do that never got the time...:(

hamproof
03-06-2003, 06:34 AM
I don't think you bought it from www.options.com. I looked and it is not automotive related.

Btw, did you happen to be on 696 East bound about 7:20am or so this morning?

I saw a black Si w/o Si badges. But it has the Civic badge. I think someone stole it :eek:

jo3y
03-06-2003, 06:58 AM
sorry i ment to say optauto.com, and although im on 696 a lot that wasent me, my EP is shaved of every badge except for the rear Si

my02si
03-06-2003, 07:54 AM
This may have been covered alread, but how do you change your lights behind your AC buttons like that? What kind bulb? Looks good by the way

hamproof
03-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Do you think the shift boot can accomodate the existing shift knob?

golferjn
03-06-2003, 07:14 PM
looks nice

LordKoo
03-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Hmm... I should remove the Civic badge too... Let them those jokers guess what car it is!

Suk02Si
03-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by hamproof
yeah it can be used, you just have to reuse the stock clip between the boot and knob. SpeedRacer has the same boot but stock knob

IceD out N CALI
03-08-2003, 08:46 AM
looks good

hamproof
03-09-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by LordKoo
Hmm... I should remove the Civic badge too... Let them those jokers guess what car it is!

You mean you haven't remove your Civic logo yet? :rolleyes:

It looks great w/o the Civic logo not that I'm embarassed with the Civic logo. But the car does look cleaner. Euro. drivers routinely do the same thing to their cars. Why do free advertising for the manuf?

I would love to get a new grill that either has a small H or no H at all.

sk2oi
03-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by hamproof

I know for sure the ctr shift boot won't fit right with the stock knob. The two clips on the knob won't fit into the hole in the boot.

SmoothOperator
03-13-2003, 11:36 PM
Am I the only one that likes the stock accordian set up?

Mugen_EP
03-13-2003, 11:55 PM
No I like it too. IMO it looks better then a regular shift boot. I just went with a JDM shift boot to keep the same style.

siver-SI
03-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Ok I went on their site and I am having a hard time finding the right boot and I would like to get a better look at the knob to see if I want to get that. It is hard from the shot to tell what knob that is. I want to get a new boot bad because I hate the stock one but the knob I am not to sure if I want to replace or not.

Thanks for any help

BarracksSi
03-20-2003, 08:32 PM
First, I prefer the stock accordion boot. If the interior was different, I'd consider something in leather, but everything else has this high-tech vibe that the stock boot matches just right.

Anyways, about the lighting color --

Someone else posted a step-by-step about changing the colors, but not necessarily here on EPHatch. Basically, there are pieces of translucent plastic ("gels" for all you stage lighting types) that bring the color to the knobs. Take things apart, change those gels, and you change the color of the lighting. You could even have different colors for each knob.

I don't know if it's the same principle behind the instruments, but I'd say that if you were going that far, you might as well get a different instrument panel anyway.

my02si
03-21-2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the help, where did you buy these "gels"?

BarracksSi
03-21-2003, 03:29 PM
I haven't done it -- that's what I remember reading. I thought, "Heck, it's really that simple?"

You should be able to find such gels at any shop that sells stage lighting. A number of music stores, especially the kinds that sell lots of gear for rock and combo bands, will have some, as will arts & crafts stores.

Do a Google search for "stage lighting gels" and you'll get quite a number of sites.

**EDIT**

Oh yeah -- obviously, you'll have to cut the new gels to the correct shape. Use the originals as templates, and you should be fine.

Kwazie
04-09-2003, 11:13 AM
might seem like a stupid question but how did you remove the boot and knob??

BarracksSi
04-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Here's a PDF of taking apart nearly the entire interior, posted by esmith13 over in Electronics --

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/02si/cdchanger.pdf

RiceCzechs
04-10-2003, 11:17 PM
BarracksSi I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I noticed in your avatar that you've gotten the hockeysticks in our taillamps to light up, and I think it looks pretty sweet... can you point me in the right direction? I know how to do the other bulb swaps, but I think I prefer the way yours appears to look...

Thanks!

BarracksSi
04-10-2003, 11:44 PM
The lighting effect doesn't come from modifying the taillight at all, actually -- that's just what my camera's flash reflected in a pic I took one day. It was a good angle, and I thought this small corner of the pic would make a decent avatar.

I don't think there's a way to make it light up from the inside -- at least not without a lot of work. There's no mounting hole for a bulb & socket, and reflectors historically don't make good lenses.

I'm hoping to do the JDM-esque mod mentioned elsewhere here, adding a brake light to the now-blank middle light socket.

RiceCzechs
04-12-2003, 07:52 PM
That's too bad about it just being the reflectors, but having had a look inside, I wasn't quite sure how that would've worked. Thanks for the explanation!

I think it might be kind of cool to turn the backup circles into amber turn sigs, but without a separate backup lamp, that might not work. That, and you wouldn't be able to see the rear turn lamps when activated from the side. Still... for someone with an aftermarket bumper shell, it wouldn't be tough to mount a single backup lamp (like on some UK cars)....

G-J
04-14-2003, 12:54 AM
Why does everyone think that the leather boot is JDM? The real JDM Type R boot is an accordian too...

http://www.optauto.com/store/images/hon-ctrsb1.gif

Option Auto's REAL JDM Type R boot (http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_information.asp?number=HON-CTRSB1&variation=&aitem=6&mitem=17&back=yes&dept=1228)

hamproof
04-14-2003, 05:25 AM
jo3y meant the 00 CTR boot. We know the JDM CTR is accordian like ours though I'm not sure what the major differences are.

JoshSI
04-14-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP
No I like it too. IMO it looks better then a regular shift boot. I just went with a JDM shift boot to keep the same style.

whats the difference?

G-J
04-15-2003, 01:36 AM
Ah my bad I didnt notice the 00 :confused:

Well the only difference between ours and the 02 CTR is the chrome ring. If you look at it, it is not hollow on top like ours is when you take off the OEM shifter.