PDA

View Full Version : creaky steering tie rods after drop

jo3y
03-06-2003, 10:39 PM
I installed my progress springs a week ago and everything is good, rides nice, the springs dont make noise but the steering makes a creaking noise now when i turn at slow speeds. I know the steering geometery is different now and the rods are at more of an angle but i was curious if anyone else had this or if i just need to lube up my ball joints

iR-VTEC2
03-06-2003, 11:03 PM
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9661

i have a pic of the tierod

it doesnt look right to me. I think the shop that did it fuct it up!! I tried some of the suggestions that people have told me to no avail. SOmeone help!!

http://astralaxe.com/pics/tierod.jpg

02SilverSiHB
03-06-2003, 11:19 PM
damn, ir-vtec...your suspension looks like it got set on fire :p

As for the way that bolt is positioned....it looks fine from here.
Here's a pic of hondman's:
http://www.pryor.ws/honda/pics/Car_Springs_004.jpg

As for all this squeaks and knocking sound you guys are getting, I'm sorry, but I can't figure out what the hell it could be...it's hard to say without actually being there. If it's that bad, I'd either, go take it back to who installed it, reinstall it your self, or go to honda and see what they say...the last one would be my last resort!

Jpax
03-06-2003, 11:54 PM
was it torqued to the right spec, it need to be torqued to operate porperly....

35 ft lbs. tie rod arm.

iR-VTEC2
03-07-2003, 01:19 AM
i cant move the nut! the damned thread just spins is it supposed to do that? and yes, im pissed that there's all that farkin sludge on my stuff. GRRRR

Suk02Si
03-07-2003, 01:26 AM
that sludge sucks; maybe if you press down on the tie rod end(applying pressure) you might be able to tighten it a little more? If not then you might have to peel the boot back and grip the bolt with something while you tighten the nut down

iR-VTEC2
03-07-2003, 01:33 AM
do you think its broken? im SERIOUSLY doubting that the bolt is supposed to spin while turing the wheel. Right?

iR-VTEC2
03-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Jo3y. Does your nut and bolt swivel while you turn your wheel???
The nut is way higher on the passenger side as well. Is this normal??? anyone?? *: (

jo3y
03-07-2003, 03:44 PM
no mine does not spin like what your saying, but thinking about it as long as the nut stays on it should work, maybe just replace that tie rod end. They are not that much money but you will prob need an alignment after that

02SilverSiHB
03-07-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by iR-VTEC2
Jo3y. Does your nut and bolt swivel while you turn your wheel???
The nut is way higher on the passenger side as well. Is this normal??? anyone?? *: (
whoa! So when you take out that cotter pin, and try to loosen (or tighten) the nut, it just spins...or does the entire nut/bolt spin at the same time. Either way that is bad...sounds like someone fudged your tie bar...that does seem right at all.....who installed your springs...I'd take it back if I were you.

iR-VTEC2
03-07-2003, 04:16 PM
that's what i thought :/. Local shop here. If they fudged it up, i dont want them even TOUCHING my car again. I will never go back there.

I will take it to Honda.

iR-VTEC2
03-07-2003, 04:19 PM
How much would something like this cost to fix??