PDA

View Full Version : ALpine Speaker question...

Pinoy84
03-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Some stores I have gone into have said the Alpine Type R components and coaxials dont fit our car cause the magnet is too big. Anyway have success with this speaker the 176A and the 174A ones. Custom cutting? Hitting door panel? Paxie?

fsugatorbait
03-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Theres not gonna be a problem with them fitting depth wise, you will need to do some cutting of the door frame for the speaker to fit in the opening like paxie did in his DIY...I had to do it myself with a dremel to get my reference components to fit, not hard at all.

jaydub
03-07-2003, 04:12 PM
I haven't tried them myself, but crutchfield sells some sort of adapter kit for the door mounted speakers, it's like $10. I really don't know what it's for though.

fsugatorbait
03-07-2003, 05:05 PM
That bracket is used to adapt aftermarket speakers to screw into the factory holes...I ordered a set to mount mine that ill be puttin in this weekend...ill post pics sometime next week.

Nighthawk Si
03-07-2003, 05:58 PM
What bit did you use on a dremel to cut the sheet metal? My dad has one and I may drive up to Dayton (about forty-five minutes from my place in Cincy) to use it if it is that easy.;)

SI2002
03-07-2003, 08:58 PM
I am going to be making speaker adapters to install 6 1/2" componets in the doors. I go to the local plastics store and purchase cut/scrap white plastic about 1/2 " thick or thicker depending on how much clearance I need. I use a dremel or a rotozip to cut the plastic to fit the original bolt pattern and cut out the new speaker hole. I have done this before in another vehicle to avoid cutting the doors with good results. I am hoping that there will still be enough room to clear the door panel after I install the adapters.

twill
03-07-2003, 09:10 PM
I have the SPR-176A components installed, and I had to create a spacer to push the mounting point out from the door metal so that the magnet would clear the window when it was rolled down. If you mount these to the door metal, the window will hit the magnet. It's probably a little low tech, but the spacers are made out of two .5" rings of plywood fastened together to push out the mounting point 1". I dynamatted everything and it sounds great!

Now I just need more power to these speakers. They are not the most efficient, but they are very clean.

fsugatorbait
03-07-2003, 10:15 PM
I used the discs it comes with to cut through the metal and then the stone tip to grind down the edges...i went through about 2-3 discs per door but it definately got the job done easy and relatively quickly.