PDA

View Full Version : advance timing

fishboy
07-30-2002, 11:29 AM
i would like to advance the timing on my distributor. i was wondering if 18 degrees is safe for our engines. that setting is pretty safe for the b16s. what do you guys think?

PJsSCW
07-30-2002, 11:41 AM
I think the ignition timing is controlled by the computer.

fishboy
07-30-2002, 12:00 PM
really? damn. how about if i used my friend's crane ignition for his prelude? he used it to retard the timing when he had NOS.

02SilverSiHB
07-30-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by PJsSCW
I think the ignition timing is controlled by the computer.
the same is said for the b16's right? The computer will change the timing as you accelerate. He should still be able to change the timing, whether it be the old method, or a chip. For instance the old method, jump the ecu and change the timing via the distributor. The computer never knew it was changed, but it actually was.
Then there is the same way the Ford Mustangs do it. They have to use a chip because they can't do it the way we could. I'm not to sure why.
Either way it can be done

iR-VTEC2
07-30-2002, 03:18 PM
There's a distributor? heh.

JSIR
07-30-2002, 06:20 PM
you'd be looking ever to find the distributor, cause it doesn't exist. The only way to advance timing is to reprogram the ecu on these vehicles, looks like Hondata may have something available very soon. The ignition systems used on your friend's car can retard timing, but not advance, and you dont want to retard timing in NA form on these engines. Advancing timing on the b16a's was very simple and effective. hth.

fishboy
07-30-2002, 07:08 PM
i just looked at my car and sure enough i couldn't find it. i followed the plugs i think and it looked like it went through the firewall. that's weird. i heard that hondata has been tooling the type-s ecu to give it like 30 more hp. pretty sweet. so we don't have a distibutor, huh? oh well. it was worth a try.

miamijdm
07-30-2002, 07:54 PM
there is no distributor. they have individual coil packs right under the covers..

02SilverSiHB
07-30-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
you'd be looking ever to find the distributor, cause it doesn't exist. The only way to advance timing is to reprogram the ecu on these vehicles, looks like Hondata may have something available very soon. The ignition systems used on your friend's car can retard timing, but not advance, and you dont want to retard timing in NA form on these engines. Advancing timing on the b16a's was very simple and effective. hth.
that's why I can't find the fucker :D I was going nuts. I was like...okay, the motor has done a 180 on me, but damn!

iR-VTEC2: I stand corrected :D

Looks like hondata needs to hurry the hell up :D
Hondata is the shit! I can't wait. I think I'll stay na and go with hondata

chunky
07-30-2002, 08:38 PM
you need a whole new ECU to reprogram timing.

as mentioned before, the k series motors all have direct ignition (there's an ignition coil for each plug, hence no spark plug wires and no distributor or conventional coil).

The ECU is also programmed to advance or retard timing according to it's own logic. So there won't be any piggyback systems that allow you to bump timing, b/c the ECU will just retard it to compensate.

so yeah, $$$$$$$$$$$$

02SilverSiHB
07-30-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by chunky
$$$$$$$$$$$$
My thoughts exactly. I'll have to keep checking Hondata to see what they are doing. Man, this is new to me. I've never been without a car that doesn't have spark plug wires.

2k2civicSi
07-30-2002, 10:17 PM
no chance of new red plug wires

ah man:( :(

DamnYo
07-31-2002, 07:13 PM
do you guys know if you can use AEM's engine managment computer

02SilverSiHB
08-01-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by DamnYo
do you guys know if you can use AEM's engine managment computer
you mean the one that cost like 2 grand?

02-sir
08-01-2002, 09:09 AM
I believe they are planning on releasing one for the K20, but it's not available yet.