PDA

View Full Version : Noobie looking to buy an Si-thoughts?

MojoPin
03-08-2003, 10:27 AM
Hey everyone! I know this is a pretty biased question, but I figured that this forum is the best place to get feedback on this car. I currently own a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3. I have intake, exhaust, and Eibach suspension. My lease is up at the end of the summer, and the Si is at the top of my list for my next car. I plan on driving one this week, so I will be able to better discern my situation after that.

My Focus has been a great car: decent suspension, semi-decent engine, looks different from most other sport compacts, and was very cheap (note I said cheap, not inexpensive-Ford wasn't real concerned about quality on my car). I am looking for the same body style (hatchback) with much better quality, no plastic mouldings, power everything, a supple yet firm suspension that doesn't break my fillings loose like my car, and something that won't lose 50% of it's value in 2 years (my car). I think the Si meets all of this criteria, but I would like you opinions on living with your Si in the daily grind. I'm not looking to race it-just to get some summer wheels/tires and maybe a coil-over suspension and call it a day. I also want a better power band-the Zetec (ha ha) has good low end, but no top end at all. If you all could give me some feedback I would appreciate it. -Andy

chakra71
03-08-2003, 10:36 AM
it's addicting. if you drive it you will want it. We are biased towards our car here, but with very good reason. The EP is an awsome car and you can find an even better deal on one these days. It's a Honda and has Honda quality and a Honda tuning future. Even if they stop producing after this model year options will still be huge for the car because it shares so many of the same parts/design of the RSX.

I like to describe my EP as a schizophrenic car. If i'm nice to it it will reward me with 30+ mpg, cargo space, tame ride and smiles all day. But if i punch it then the beast wakes up and likes to run. Also there's the sleeper effect. People look at the new SI and just snicker a little at it. Until they see my brake lights and stock exhaust walking away from them. And it's only gonna get better.

Get one while the getting's good.

:D :cool: :D

fsugatorbait
03-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Couldnt have said it better myself, however, I have yet to break into the 30 mpg range, its still the best car ive owned. The body style grows on you and you cant beat the interior. Im sure after your test drive you'll have found the car your looking for.

IceD out N CALI
03-08-2003, 11:40 AM
sounds like you are close to set on getting the si. one thing is that many people on the net will refer to it as a minivan or egg. if you can accept that, then go ahead and get the si. if you can't then you may be like some of the handfull of people that sold their ep cuz people ragged on it.:o

EViLsneakyDUCK
03-08-2003, 02:43 PM
yes, alot of other people will make fun of your car, online or in person. However, the next second you see them appraising and wishing they had the interior of our EP. And then the second after that, you'll see them trying to steal your Escape Pod :D

MojoPin
03-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys-I absolutely love the interior of the Si-best seats anywhere, perfect steering wheel, and the shifter is so cool. The tranny in my Focus is terrible-so notchy and long. My buddy has a 2000 Prelude, so that car has convinced me to go Honda all the way. The Si is the only car besides the S2000 that interests me. And what is this about them stopping production? I haven't heard this news, but it would be good for me because Honda will be giving them away at that point. Thanks again guys-Andy

SiR Medic
03-08-2003, 03:32 PM
One thing...

DON'T expect miracles from the Si!

It's resale isn't the best RIGHT NOW.

It is NOT the fastest car for the money.

However, the car seems to be getting more and more aftermarket support, especially from quality joints like comptech, neuspeed and mugen.

Also, limited sales+cult following(-quality control problems)=good resale later on (possible collectable?)

Don't buy the Si because it is the flavour of the month. Test drive it first and research the compitition.\

This board has had (and still has) quite a few whiners who expected too much out of the Si and were disappointed. Those of us who did our homework, however, are VERY happy with the car.

Bottom Line: The Si is a reliable, economical, practical machine. It is capable of being a grocery getter or carving up back roads with equal ability.

MojoPin
03-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Well, since I'm driving a Ford Focus now, which has worse resale than a Kia, and has about 10 outstanding recalls on it, I am more concerned about quality and resale than all-out performance. I know it isn't the fastest out there-heck, it almost always places last in comparo tests. But I think that Honda makes cars that will last, and that can be modded to the owner's satisfaction. I got my "boy racer" fix with my car, so I'm ready to move onto a more mature machine. I'm more than happy with 160hp, and the wheels will be swapped immediately, so that pretty much sums up what I want. If I wanted performance for under 20 grand, I'd get a SRT-4 or a used turbo Eclipse. But fortunately I wouldn't be caught dead in a Neon or Eclipse, and hopefully the Si won't destroy my insurance. I do like the spin you put on the Si-can be practical or sporty-just what I want. -Andy

chakra71
03-08-2003, 04:22 PM
I may be wrong here about the limited production, but it has been my understanding that Honda puts out the SI for the last 2 years of the Civic line. Honda updates the line every 4 years and the SI is to spark more interest the last 2 years. I could be way off, but that seems to be what they did with the last style civic SI. It only ran for 1999-2000 then 2002 put out this body and it's here for 2003. We haven't heard about a 2004 model yet.

SiR Medic
03-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by MojoPin
Well, since I'm driving a Ford Focus now, which has worse resale than a Kia, and has about 10 outstanding recalls on it, I am more concerned about quality and resale than all-out performance. I know it isn't the fastest out there-heck, it almost always places last in comparo tests. But I think that Honda makes cars that will last, and that can be modded to the owner's satisfaction. I got my "boy racer" fix with my car, so I'm ready to move onto a more mature machine. I'm more than happy with 160hp, and the wheels will be swapped immediately, so that pretty much sums up what I want. If I wanted performance for under 20 grand, I'd get a SRT-4 or a used turbo Eclipse. But fortunately I wouldn't be caught dead in a Neon or Eclipse, and hopefully the Si won't destroy my insurance. I do like the spin you put on the Si-can be practical or sporty-just what I want. -Andy

Sounds like you and the Si will get along just fine!

BTW, most of the comparison tests in the "Real" car mags, ie. Car and Driver, Road & Track, have the Si placing a solid 2nd, with the lousy stock tires as the only legit complaint.

Keep us updated!;)

minimay7
03-09-2003, 12:01 AM
I dont' know what Honda thinks of the sales of Si in US at this point... (It hasnt' been what they expected so far...) But, if all goes well, Type-R might come out around the time your current lease is up. If I were you, see if Honda will decide to release Type-R and if they do, go for it. Only bad thing might be convinient features such as power window and air conditioning will be an option.

If you can't wait, get an Si. I think it's a wonderful car. I am getting mine in about next saturday.