PDA

View Full Version : Why not just get an RSX?

mrtew
03-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Don't get me wrong... I love the Si, and I'm pretty close to getting one, but the RSX has really caught my eye. Except for a thousand dollars or so, why would you guys get the Si instead of the Acura? Longer warrantee, bigger nicer wheels, adjustable seats, hotter styling, cooler interior, lighter weight, better mileage, more torque, made in Japan, no pod/egg/minivan jokes, and prestige nameplate.... everything else is the same... right? This stuff has been brought up before I'm sure, but please tell a newbie... why should I go for the Honda?

LordKoo
03-08-2003, 10:32 PM
it is all subjective... Si rides better than RSX imho...

VegasEP
03-08-2003, 10:38 PM
I had about 4 thousand reasons why I got the Si instead of an RSX-S. What's done is done, why keep putting up all these posts pondering what could of or should of been.

anjapower
03-08-2003, 10:52 PM
IMO there's no prestige difference between a RSX and an Si. RSX definitely doesn't have a cooler interior...Si's interior is not only way cooler/better, but the seats don't have the gay designs that the cloth seats in the base RSX do.

The bigger/nicer wheels are cool, but I'll be getting different rims anyway, so why pay more for that. Also, most people have found and confirmed that the Si makes just as much torque as the RSX motor, and most dyno results are showing that the Si motors are actually making a few WHP more than a base RSX.

I do like the styling of the RSX better, but I'm not gonna buy a car on styling alone. I could careless about the longer warranty, but do wish that my car was built in Japan.

I was of the opinion that the RSX base was the better buy BEFORE I bought my Si, but everything seems to point to that I made the wiser decision. Heck, even Hondata rewarded us with an extra 400 RPM to play with.

chunky
03-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by mrtew
Don't get me wrong... I love the Si, and I'm pretty close to getting one, but the RSX has really caught my eye. Except for a thousand dollars or so, why would you guys get the Si instead of the Acura? Longer warrantee, bigger nicer wheels, adjustable seats, hotter styling, cooler interior, lighter weight, better mileage, more torque, made in Japan, no pod/egg/minivan jokes, and prestige nameplate.... everything else is the same... right? This stuff has been brought up before I'm sure, but please tell a newbie... why should I go for the Honda?

1) si has EPS, and a 4ft shorter turning diameter. that's right, 4 whole feet. rsx requires 38ft to turn, si requires 34.

2) si is not as common as the rsx

3) the si's hatch is more useful, you can throw a 27" tv into the back of the SI, but not the RSX

4) since the si is a civic, insurance is cheaper

5) sunroof goes INTO the roof, instead of sliding over the roof of the car

6) si seats > rsx seats. the base rsx has some fruity patterns in the cloth trim, and you slide around too much in the leather trim

7) si is NOT governed at 130mph

8) si is classified as an LEV, not a ULEV. passing emissions with mods will be easier.

9) dash mounted shifter ownz j00

10) i prefer the look of the dual tip exhaust

11) washer fluid resivoir does not require modification to install a CAI

12) if you get a base rsx, everyone will ask you why you didn't just get the type-s. the si is the mac daddy of the civics (in the u.s.) and everyone knows that.

13) si has the nifty driver's side cup holder

the list goes on and on. but basically, the si was the car for me, the RSX wasn't.

norcalSI
03-08-2003, 11:08 PM
i personally love the hatch...you have to love the hatch....and you can make it a sleeper by doing a swap....the element of surprise... this question is just like asking why buy a older civic si instead of the integra gsr. Sh*t just happens

golferjn
03-08-2003, 11:20 PM
both are nice, but i love my ep. yum for hatchbacks. and it's all about the red stitching

SubliminalSi
03-08-2003, 11:32 PM
cooler interior

ummmm...no

chakra71
03-09-2003, 12:03 AM
all the items mentioned and also, how many rsx do you see every day? I usually see about 5-10 a day and of those maybe 2 are the type S models. I might see 5 EPs in a month around here. To my biased eye the SI looks better and does everything i want. I hunt down rsx. if i see the wimpy exhaust tube for the base model i know i'm in for a good race and i'll probably win (got mad skillz, yo!).

i guess it's a matter of taste, but i love my si and have not regretted getting it.

Surprise
03-09-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by chunky
3) the si's hatch is more useful, you can throw a 27" tv into the back of the SI, but not the RSX

That is funny, when I moved into my house, my other 3 roommates and I got annoyed at watching a 13 inch TV. So after hunting around for the cheapest biggest TV we could find found a Orion for a good price. We had my car and drove 35 miles to find the deal. I ended up fitting 4 full-size guys and a 27 inch TV in the box in the back of the Civic. You definitely could not do that in a RSX.

Makross
03-09-2003, 02:30 AM
hatchbacks are the shiets thats why

iR-VTEC2
03-09-2003, 03:11 AM
i didnt choose my car it chose me!

i went into the dealer and the car did the jedi mind trick "you WILL buy me". I must buy you "you will get the money today". I will get the money today.

SiR Medic
03-09-2003, 06:45 AM
Try a little experiment...

Put 4 grown adults in a RSX. Pretty tight eh?

Now... Put those same 4 adults in the Si... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Also, there isn't a zillion Si's zipping around like the RSX.

mrtew
03-09-2003, 06:46 AM
WOW, thanks for all the great reasons. I never expected that there were that many reasons to get the Honda, let alone that I'd actually get them here! I thought most of the posts would get defensive like VegasEP's, but you guys actually chose between the two cars I am looking at and got the Civic! If there are more reasons keep them coming.... I just may be getting an EP afterall!

snubnose
03-09-2003, 07:11 AM
The Si looks 10 times better than the RSX. Let's face it, the Si just has the mojo that the RSX doesn't.

EPHatchgirl
03-09-2003, 07:58 AM
NOt only do I like the interior... (our seats are SWEEEEET!!!) but I too am a hatch addict.
Nothing says bland like a everyday coupe car, and when I actually get to see another EP SI on the road, I can give a thumbs up or a friendly wave... it's like both of you know all the reasons mentioned here and understand them, and aren't worried about driving the mini mini van or the egg.
I have never had such a unique or rare car, and would never look back on buying the RSX.
My fiance was trying to talk me into buying the Acura instead, but we saw a couple in parking lots and I couldn't stand the interior compared to the EP, and prefer the hatch, so I wouldn't even test drive it.
Once we test drove the EP, he says he was totally coverted, and didn't like the RSX as much anyway! YOU CAN ALWAYS MAKE YOUR EP FASTER, IT HAS TONS of potential, so try not to choose solely on what you get out the door. That's the fun part, right?;) ;) ;)

Loudpedal
03-09-2003, 08:55 AM
I was in the same RSX/SiR debate.

Si(R):
Well balanced in all regards
Very cool interior
A shifter that fascinates passengers
Unique exterior
Large hatch functionality
Relatively inexpensive insurance

RSX
Nicer headlights
Tach is not smaller than Speedo
On every second corner
Shitty back seat
More expensive insurance

After initially sitting in the EP, I felt like I had just sat in the car that I had been longing for, and that had been designed for me. Every thing fit to the touch and was pleasing to the eye. It's like someone read my mind as to what I wanted in a car.
Kinda weird feeling really.

IceD out N CALI
03-09-2003, 08:57 AM

some pretty good reasons already given to get the si but let me just remind you again, that although i like my "egg" and "minivan":D

some people online, (nobody called it minivan in person except once when it was stock:) ) will give you a hard time about it, which includes about everybody under the sun. You'll hear 7thgen owners talking trash, clubsi, clubrsx and plenty more tear it apart. if that doesnt matter to you, then get it. Like i said in another thread, a few people sold their si and lost shitloads of money cause "the si wasnt what they thought it was" aka "people made fun of me, and called it minime":rolleyes:

chakra71
03-09-2003, 09:07 AM
and don't forget ephatch.com! for the most part this board has the best people, great knowledge base, and great tech info. if i have a question i come here and search before i ask anyone else.

not that you should buy a car based on it's internet support. but keep the comunity in mind. every EP i've seen on the road has been driven by a cool person. nods and waves all around.

gito
03-09-2003, 09:19 AM
One of the best threads soo far:)

ortedd
03-09-2003, 09:29 AM
I chose the Si over the rsx that I was looking at for several reasons:

1. Head room, at 6

Mad02Si
03-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by iR-VTEC2
i didnt choose my car it chose me!

i went into the dealer and the car did the jedi mind trick "you WILL buy me". I must buy you "you will get the money today". I will get the money today. Same here. I went to look at a 2000 Gsr I test drove it and wasnt impressed cause I felt to crapped inside it. As I was sitting in the dealership I kept looking at the Si and it grew on me, I always wanted a hatch and it had decent looks and I had only seen one around since they had came out. I got and so far I have only seen maybe 3 others around and only one was moded a bit. I feel like I will have some type of exclusivness for atleast a year till more people get on the bandwagon..

IceD out N CALI
03-09-2003, 11:44 AM
at the rate we're going there wont be many ep's on the road even after they stop production

BlazeX12
03-09-2003, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ortedd
[B]I chose the Si over the rsx that I was looking at for several reasons:

1. Head room, at 6

ortedd
03-09-2003, 12:22 PM
when i test drove the rsx, I had the seat so far back and so far reclined to fit that i could barely reach the steering wheel.

MINIVANKILLER
03-09-2003, 12:29 PM
The 27 inch will fit just fine with 4 in the car also, but do not try to get a 31 inch in the back. It will not make it. Had to get an actual minivan for that task.

Silver7
03-09-2003, 03:07 PM
well.. cause RSX is not worth $4,000+ over si.

only reason i can understand might be that lot of ppl dont like the way SI looks, but for few of us who likes the way si looks it cant be beat :) :D

Accordexcpe95
03-09-2003, 03:32 PM
i took the Si over the rsx because
1)price
2)SI nice ass interior > Rsx
3)same hp.. y pay more more little more torque??
4)easy to park cuz i have to parallel park all the time
5)sleeper looking (everyone thinks our "egg/minivan" hatches are slow)
6)white RSX typeS comes with tan leather interior which i hate the most unlike my white SI
7)EPS > rsx hydraulic
8)low compression which is good for turbo or sc
9)this car is jus fun to drive :D

Si is a car that u either hate it or u'll jus love it.. it's your choice.
and this board is the jus the best. :D

02TafWhtSi
03-09-2003, 03:43 PM
come on now - you just have to admit how sweet the new Si looks!:p

Accordexcpe95
03-09-2003, 04:13 PM
dang your Si is clean ;)

heres mine :p

http://members.cox.net/accordexcpe95_2/6.jpg

http://members.cox.net/accordexcpe95_2/7.jpg

:D

stephen
03-09-2003, 04:41 PM
you definitely get more looks and questions driving the SI. everytime i fill up my gas, i get kids in ex civics asking how much horsepower my car has.

also, i bought my car for $15300, about four thousand less than the base RSX.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-10-2003, 09:27 AM
i do not fit in an rsx...
and they are ugly...

2k2_nbp_egg
03-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Haha....after putting a type S badge on my friend's base RSX for shits and giggles this weekend, I am reminded of one of the main reasons why i like this car alot more than the rsx. The Si is the best civic in the nation. If the Type R were available, then my sig would say NBP type R, and I would look down on all the poor Sis who would kick themselves in the head for not paying the extra for an R.

Such is the case with the type S. I test drove one this weekend, and all I have to say is that it even made me take a second look at my car. First sucks, second is ok, but red lining third made me smile ALOT. Not to mention that i figure that car would come alive after a couple thousand miles (thing had 18 miles on it and was thrashed by me, my friend, and the dealer :D) But the point I'm getting at is....don't get the bitch RSX. Either go Si or type S, and also i'm sick and tired of hearing this "its still a civic" bullshit from RSX owners. Same platform jackass, different bodies w/ the most minor differences.

Also, the base rsx has slightly pussified gearing compared to the Si, cloth center design on seats are ugly(but the leather is very nice...), center trey in backseat makes it a 4 seater, single puss exhaust tip :) and everything else chunky said. But in the rsx's defense, the exterior does look better, hate to say it (esp. the front!!), the gauges are very! nice, and that whole five lug w/ stock 16s is also pretty nice.

KickerSi
03-10-2003, 08:24 PM
When I went to the Honda dealership and saw this car I was like damn, that looks too much like my Focus. After I sat in it I was like damn, THIS IS NICE!!!! After driving it I got out and told the salesman to start the paper work. My salesman has a base RSX. He told me that he wished he had gotten the Si instead b/c of so many reasons mainly the interior. Also, since I live in the retirement capitol of the world, I see tons of old men driving the damn RSX trying to be young again. It would be alright if it was the type-s or if they weren't 60. Every EP owner I've seen, regardless of age always has a grin on thier face at a stop light, now that says something. Why the hell would you want to buy a car that is known for being an old persons car? Also, IMO, the damn RSX looks like a scaled down Dodge Intrepid. IMO a RSX = Cadilac age w/ Dodge styling. Sorry, just had to vent

JDM Whore
03-11-2003, 12:49 AM
Well i don't own an EP yet, but hopefully this summer I will. Couple reasons:

1) Carbon Fiber Dash trim OWnZ!
2) The TRUE hatchback...and it being a super duper hatchback should be reason enough.
3) Shifter, one of a kind.
4) flat torque curve.
5) Feels smaller, and more tosseable than an rsx.
6) Cheaper price
7) IMO looks better fixed up than the rsx.
8) all the stuff chunky said.

mrtew
03-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Cool! I think I am actually convinced! Thanks! Tell me if there's anything else so I don't backslide and blow the extra $$$ on the Acura! Thanks again!

fishboy
03-12-2003, 06:54 PM
i think i'm set on the hks exhaust now. i like that pic, 02taflwht.:)

edit: i might as well contribute something to this topic... i loved the si after i test drove it. i almost didn't get it. i just happened to swing by a honda dealership looking for a4s of all things, don't ask. saw it, sat in it, test drove it, got it the next day. i hate my dealership though.:)

ArcticBlueRsx
03-12-2003, 07:03 PM
umm....i guess its my job to defend the RSX lol....man..here come the flaming lol however i'm slightly confused...are we comparing Si to RSX/s in general or just Si to base RSX?

1) seating space... yes , our rear seats SUCK...i feel bad for my passengers cuz 9 out of 10, their heads are touching the back rear window and that is quite uncomfortable
2) ah..but how can you not like our seats?
3) interior is alright...not a fan of plastic since i've been used to rubber/leather/wood
4) shifter..in the rsx,5 speed its not too shabby but i do admit the shifter on the Si is way more cooler
5) the sound system sucks in the rsx/rsx-s...not too sure about how it is in the EP
6) the engine....the base rsx engine makes a bit more torque down low than the Si and isnt the cp ratios the same? (i forgot what were the cp ratios exactly for the base and Si)
7) how can you say the exterior of a Si looks better than a RSX? i know everyone is entitled to their own opinions and every has different taste..but common...stock rsx looks vs a stock Si looks? I just have to say the RSX just looks better
8) in terms of practicality..arent they both equally practical? both being hatchbacks etc etc
9) the Si owns the RSX in terms of pricing.....what a steal for 15k...kind a makes me wonder what i couldve done if i bought a Si and used the rest of the 10k that im spending on my rsx-s and used it for the Si....

Now if we're comparing the RSX-S vs the Si...sorry...but it owns the Si in almost every category except for the seating space =P thats just my opionion though =)

IceD out N CALI
03-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Cool! I think I am actually convinced! Thanks! Tell me if there's anything else so I don't backslide and blow the extra $$$ on the Acura! Thanks again!

my advice is to take your time in making this decision, as long as possible. In the end what do you think you see yourself in 3 years down the road or so.jmo ;)

SIxtasy
03-12-2003, 10:11 PM
I was in the same shoes about 3 weeks ago. I was actually leaning towards the type S and then they had a used one at the HONDA dealership. once I saw them side by side I couldn't justify the extra 4 G's for 40 HP. The SI just kinda choose me. I haven't regretted it at all. Just remember that if it comes down to power - that K20A2 slips right in.....

- Jeffrey -

cj miller
03-12-2003, 11:59 PM
i was doing the same thing. went to a honda dealership(with an acura one next door) i looked at both and inside the rsx didnt seem some different. just looked like anyother sport coupe. when i looked inside the Si i was like, "whoa wtf" different looking shit interior was amazing and that shifter with made me horny. well i choose the Si and have had so much fun and learning in it. sickest car. mines lowered(high recomend asap) looks amazin and i personally like it better than the RSX(when it get lowered) i didnt like how the Si came like a off road monster truck civic stock. ahah just my opinion. just drop that shit and youl be happy. got mine for 17000