PDA

View Full Version : Engine Start Button

minimay7
03-09-2003, 01:56 AM
Okay.... Here is what I want to do...

I would like to move the emergency signal button to the right side of the dash board (where that blank indented circle is to the right of the shift knob) and put the starter button at the place of energency signal button.

I figured that I would need the Japanese dash cover to move the button to the right side...

Anyone experienced in installing the starter button? How can I get hold of S2000 starter button?

I did a really quick mock-up picture with Type-R dash... Here is the pic....

hopeful_si
03-09-2003, 10:09 AM
I read a post about this not to long ago. Somebody got the engine start button from an S2000 but didn't manage to switch the emergency turn signal button or whatever that is to the opposite side. Try a search for that post if you want to find more.

RMC22
03-09-2003, 12:46 PM
I hate to do this, but I just have to ask...

What's the point??

SubliminalSi
03-09-2003, 12:58 PM
http://www.digitalgumball.com/sir/center.jpg
http://www.digitalgumball.com/sir/pass.jpg

This is BMX269's si. Its the s2000 button

SmoothOperator
03-09-2003, 01:27 PM
He hasn't placed the Hazard button on the other side, cause the space is slightly larger/smaller. Not sure which, but it won't fit right.

minimay7
03-09-2003, 08:12 PM
I hate to do this, but I just have to ask... What's the point??

ha ha ha.... it's purely a cool factor... You can call me "rice" on this part...

Regarding the emergency signal button issue, that's why I talked about if I get the JDM dash cover, it will work out fine. Because of the nature of right hand side driver seat, Japanese emergency signal button is on the left side. So if I get the Japanese dash cover, I can put the ESB on the right side and install ignition button on the place where ESB used to be.

Surprise
03-09-2003, 08:27 PM
You can't just replace the panel that the shifter boot is attached to, unless you replace the whole dash. Notice that the part is not symmetric.

minimay7
03-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Dude... you are right...

Oh well, tan my second plan is to get on of those switches to replace turn signal button. I'd like to still install the starter button on the left and ESB on the left.

One of those turn switches sound good... oh no... one more riceness on my dash....

Loudpedal
03-10-2003, 10:10 AM
Would the S2000 start button not also fit on the "vacant" passenger side button hole? The two have different shape characteristics, but it might be less work.

minimay7
03-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Would the S2000 start button not also fit on the "vacant" passenger side button hole? The two have different shape characteristics, but it might be less work.

Well, the whol point is that I want ESB to be on the peesenger side. And the Starter button to be on the driver's side. I won't feel safe if the starter button is in close reach of passengers. Gasp... control freak... am I....?

bmx269
03-10-2003, 05:26 PM
I have been too lazy to install my hazard light buttong yet. PaXie and I are going to do a DIY regarding the install / wiring and any other stuff needed for all of you people interested in doing this mod to your car. I did however notice right away that the hazard button has to be plugged into the harness for the turn signals to work, for me it is under the dash, still in reach. :)

minimay7
03-11-2003, 02:29 AM
:p DIY... Yes Please!!!:p

When do you think you will post it up?

I gotta hand it to all of you who share these valuable information with everyone. I think all of us who benefits from your pioneering knowledge owe you guys big thanks!!!

keep it up.

Mr.02BlackSIguY
03-18-2003, 02:14 PM
i was thinking about doing this also. putting starter on the left and hazrds on the right but i read a post about this topic saying the one of the right is smaller and putting the hazard wont fit. anyone know how to fix this problem? do u have to like cut it bigger?

minimay7
03-18-2003, 07:02 PM
You might have to cater to what I am doing.... using after market switch to replace stock Signal button.

Except it's hard to get the information about how big the diameter is on these switches...

Anyone knows aftermarket switch that fits the RIGHT side of the dash board (the blank circle)?

2k2_nbp_egg
03-22-2003, 02:07 AM
Lol....heheheh i just had HUGE hassle with this fucking mod. It's in....and it's workin great but i had to go through so much bullshit for it. Anyway, to cut a long story short, after going weeks without a radio, then without AC, i finally had a starter button that worked (OE S2K button ) and my car was pretty much stock. Except...the button is on the passenger side seat.

That makes me very nervous that at high speeds some dumbass could cause serious damage to my car.

So....im really interested in ordering this JDM centerpanel piece so the hazards can go on the passenger side so i can bitch them into hitting the hazards when i...err nm, anyway any info on this would be awesome.

Why did I do this mod? After starting up a real S2k, the euphoric feeling stuck in my finger *shrug*

Also, on the USDM centerpanel there is no screw bearings for the hazards on the blankpiece side, and they have to be operable and in a secure position to pass vehicle inspection. Which, once again, why the JDM CTR piece is the main thing i can think of.

Mr.02BlackSIguY
03-22-2003, 11:24 AM
pictures man pictures... i wanna check it out.

minimay7
03-24-2003, 01:48 AM
hey, 2k2_nbp_egg!!

Scroll up this thread. I was planning on same thing until Surprise pointed out that the dash is asymmetric.

so... S2000 starter button doesn't fit the hazard button hole? the right blank hole looks same saize as the hazard button....

Mikael
03-31-2003, 11:35 PM
I put the S2000 button in the hazard port in the fall. I haven't been on the forum in a while and I know there used to be a lot of posts about the thing but maybe not lately so let me share what I found.

The hazard button will fit on the right in the dead spot with only a little bit of Dremelling, say a couple millimeters around the circumference or so but......you need to devise a way to secure it there. On the left, there is plastic above and below the port where the two screws from the hazard button apparatus can go. On the right, there is nothing to screw it into at all so a more creative solution must be found. What that is, I don't know.

My hazard it tucked under the dash, too. It's really not a big deal to reach it.

Also, as good as the bright red starter button looks, and as lame as the silver dead spot is, I think the red starter button and red flasher button on opposite sides would look stupid seeing as how one is rough, one is smooth; one is boring, one is - at least - cute if not cool. I tried painting my hazard button silver like I did my stereo dash kit when I was planning on moving it to the right but I failed miserably and it's a good thing the button's out of view now.

Anyway, what's so cool about hazards? I kinda like some of the other ideas about utilizing that space better like a garage door opener and alarm LED. It's a rather prominent spot so use it wisely.

2k2_nbp_egg
04-02-2003, 07:23 PM
Ahh damn my bad. DAMN my idea doesn't work :( *shrug* I was told that in order to pass inspections your hazard button can't be dangling. I really do like how it lights up the same color as my dash at night tho, that makes the whole ordeal worth it lol. However, I do agree that hazards right under your steering wheel is a good idea. Those two spots are very convenient, and I'd like the engine start on the left and a nitrous button on the right. Mmmmm.....

blackout
12-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by minimay7
Okay.... Here is what I want to do...

I would like to move the emergency signal button to the right side of the dash board (where that blank indented circle is to the right of the shift knob) and put the starter button at the place of energency signal button.

I figured that I would need the Japanese dash cover to move the button to the right side...

Anyone experienced in installing the starter button? How can I get hold of S2000 starter button?

I did a really quick mock-up picture with Type-R dash... Here is the pic....

Thats my car in your picture with the Loews denver building behind it, coincidentally I got my S2000 start button in the mail yesterday
and I'm going to move the hazard button over once I get the relay and wiring that I need. I'll let everyone know how it went.

i-WERKS
12-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Here's a tip to enlarge the hole. Use some 40 grit sand paper and roll it up into a tube with the sanding surface on the outside.
When you put it in the hole the paper will uncurl to the shape of the hole. Push and pull the paper to enlarge the hole. Keep testing to make sure that the hole isn't too big. Once it's the correct size use a higher grit sand paper to smooth it out. You'll get a cleaner edge than using a dremel.

What I did to mount it was cut off the mounts from the original location and hot glued them onto the empty side then screwed the button back into place.

fsugatorbait
12-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Heres a DIY I did a while ago...
Start button Install/Hazzard button moved (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=12779&highlight=fsugatorbait)