PDA

View Full Version : Weird Thing with my Window Tint

MookieBlaylock5
07-30-2002, 02:27 PM
I decided to get my windows tinted at my friend's place rather than at the dealer. I got a real nice tint on my side windows, but when tinted the back and turned on my de-froster (its the 1st time its been used) the tint bubbled up and got all nasty. Now...he turns the defroster on, on every car he tints to make sure it'll be ok. Is this because the defroster hasn't been used (hey its houston in the summer....) or what is going on?

iR-VTEC2
07-30-2002, 02:44 PM
Normally, a tinter should cut strips of tint film to put between the defroster lines. If somone just put one big ass sheet, the defrosters would heat up the tint and cause bubbles.

That might be it.

SpeedRacer
07-30-2002, 02:48 PM
good to know.

2k2civicSi
07-30-2002, 10:38 PM
i got mine done and they didnt cut out the defrost strips out ant it didnt bubble

MookieBlaylock5
07-31-2002, 09:57 AM
had you run your defroster before?

DynaSpeed
07-31-2002, 10:27 AM
What would it matter if you ran it before or not? When I got other cars of mine tinted they just said to make sure you let it completely dry for a few weeks to a month before turning on the Rear Defrost. Worked for me... I never had a problem.

MookieBlaylock5
07-31-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
What would it matter if you ran it before or not? When I got other cars of mine tinted they just said to make sure you let it completely dry for a few weeks to a month before turning on the Rear Defrost. Worked for me... I never had a problem.

I'm not the guy with the answers. My friend who does all his tinting in conjunction with a benz dealership in houston always turns on the defroster after he puts the lens on the back. He said that sometimes it'll bubble up, but that my car's defroster seemed unusually strong. He wasn't sure if it was just because it had never been used or what the deal was.

greenguy
08-01-2002, 11:15 AM
I am getting mine tinted today. I asked about the bubbling and burning and I was told that defrosters operate at a temp of 140 degrees F. The adhesive on the tint has a temp rating of 900 degrees F, and the tint 1400 degrees F. I am putting on Solar Gard HP charcoal/ w/ metal.
They will use ONE piece for the back.
I will let ya'll know how it turns out:)

iR-VTEC2
08-01-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
i got mine done and they didnt cut out the defrost strips out ant it didnt bubble

Thats how my first car was. And then the bubbles. I had it retinted same way...............the bubbles came. Then i changed the tint company to one that takes time to actually strip it in between the lines. That car still looks good to this day.

I supposed that those first tinters just SUCKED.

esmith13
08-27-2002, 08:42 AM
I asked the guy who tinted my windows what the problem is, and this is what he said:

There are two kinds of window tint -- a standard type and a metallic type.
You can only see the difference in the tint type BEFORE it is applied to the window. The metallic type looks like a reflective gunmetal colored foil. Kinda like silvered sunglasses. The standard type looks exactly like it does after it's applied -- like smoked plastic. The metallic type is newer and better, as it is more resistant to scratches, heat, and bubbling. It also is usually guaranteed NEVER to fade.

Now, don't mistake what I am saying. My tint is 15% viewable black tint. It IS a full sheet on the back window with no slits. It is not the tint that LOOKS metallic or color changing. But it's composition is metallic-based. Your tint bubbled cause it was probably the crappier style tint.

Oh, mine has not bubbled yet, and I have used the defroster many times to be sure. My tint guy is also so confident, he does NOT test the defroster when he is done. As a matter of fact, he tells you NOT to use it at all for 3 days till all fluid under the tint dries (that can boil). But he gives you a guarantee to get it redone for free if you have any problems after that.

My tint job has a lifetime guarantee for it's application, duaribility, bubbling and fading. Labor to reapply tint under warranty is included in the warranty.

I think you need a new tint place.

aychbomb
12-13-2002, 03:19 PM
hey es,
was wondering what your brand of tint that u used was? i'm looking for the same look.. not metallic but a flat black, but want it to be metallic based and high quality.

most_hatedSi02
01-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Ok, I just had tint done, I noticed that there were bubbles in the back window and in the drivers window....he said that they'll go out eventually the stuff just needs to dry. I was told not to roll down my windows for 4 days and not to clean them for 2 weeks. Make sure you use a Glass Cleaner that's safe for tint. I bought some at Advanced Auto I got it for 2.99 .