PDA

View Full Version : my exhaust problem

specialblend154
03-09-2003, 11:43 AM
ok so i bought a cat-back exhaust. i was very excited, FIRST MOD! i let my friend bolt it on thinking it wouldnt be a problem cause he used to work in a shop and he would do it when i was at work. i came back to see my car after work and found out that he stripped the shit out of one of the bolts connecting the cat to the mid-pipe. now ive been driving around for about a week with a small leak in my exhaust and only 2 of the bolts intact. yesterday night my check engine light came on(which pissed me off heavaly) the local shop said he would take off the weld'd on bolt for me and put a new one on for only 70 bucks! <-----sarcasm. i decided to go to home depot and just get a die kit and re thread the bolt because the threads were pretty much totally striped. i found out the homedepot dosent sell metric dye kits and the dude told me to bring in the nut that goes back on and he would find something that was standard but equivalent. i went back to my car and looked in my glove box where the nut is supposed to be and it wasent there. i guess my friend fucked up the bolt and then lost the nut leaving me screwed, what should i do tech heads?! HELP!

Jpax
03-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Find a new friend http://www.nwhonda.net/phpbb/images/smiles/dunno.gif Or jsut pay the 70 bucks and get it done right, that sucks he messed up you car. you should thump him

U=> http://www.nwhonda.net/phpbb/images/smiles/thump.gif< him

pocketrocket
03-09-2003, 01:47 PM
You could cut off the stud, drill it out, then just use a bolt and nut. Make sure you get hardware that's rated for high temp.

-PR

specialblend154
03-09-2003, 03:00 PM
update: i just went to home depot because my friend found the nut. just found out that home depot dosent carry the right sized die kit for me to fix my problem. i hate this.... plus my car is pissed cause im 50 miles over her oil change so i am gonna go do that now. mobile one new car formula is the shit.

My_Blk_Si
03-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Well after stripping the first stud... I ended up snapping it... (damn air tools)... and put the bad nut on one of the good studs and snapped that one... (i'm an idiot I know)... anyways... the stud can be knocked out... drill the hole a little to make it nice and clean... and stick a standard bolt and nut through that puppy.

specialblend154
03-10-2003, 04:45 PM
i just took it to the shop, 42 bucks later my cat back is working well again, i just gotta take off the negative battery cable to reset my chk engine light, thanks for the help fellas

FailureToStop
03-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Hey keep us filled in and tell us if it fixed your problem or not. The ECU or whatever that trips up the CEL on something like that is super sensitive! It kind of makes me think that something else is going on with your car.

Didn't a member here run around without a muffler? Did their CEL come on?

specialblend154
03-12-2003, 03:36 PM
my check engine light is still on! i unpluged my negative battery connection and then reconnected it and only thing that did was meess up my cd player. my friend who is a mechanic said that sometimes at the 10k mark the check engine light comes on so you take you car back to honda for a check up, anyone elses cel come on at 10k?

fishboy
03-12-2003, 03:43 PM
the maintenance required light comes on around the 10k service time, NOT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

specialblend154
03-12-2003, 03:55 PM
yes actually this whole time ive been saying check engine light its been the maint req'd light. geez i hate you fishboi!!! hahaha thanks dude