PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to clean window?

cease
03-09-2003, 07:30 PM
ive always had problems cleaning my wiindows. i allways get them streeks
any sugestions........................................ .....

SiR Medic
03-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Newspaper.

No really! Crumpled up newspaper does a great job! The ink actually acts as a polish on the window leaving a streak free shine.

Also, use the glass cleaner solution sparingly use elbow grease to wipe the crud off, don't be scared to apply a little pressure.

Afterwards, use a good road film remover on the windsheilds (front and back).

I always put on some Rain-X too. Stuff works great, especially on the glass your wipers miss.

Don't forget to wipe your wiper blades off too. You'd be amazed at how much crap comes off and how much it keeps your wipers from streaking.

cease
03-09-2003, 08:13 PM
got it;)

kadafi
03-16-2003, 01:08 AM
newspaper for both inside and outside?????

thanx

dustinhurley
03-16-2003, 08:07 AM
Yes, newspaper both inside and outside. Also, I've found that window cleaner in the spray cans, the kind that foams, works a lot better than the regular windex type stuff. Just make sure you get some that is safe and won't ruin your tint (if you have it) or stain the vinyl on your dash from the overspray.

i-WERKS
03-17-2003, 07:09 PM
Am I the only one who waxes the windows too?
It works great. No streaks, no water marks, water beads up too in the rain. I've been doing this since my first car and nothing bad has ever happened.

cease
03-17-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
It works great. No streaks, no water marks, water beads up too in the rain. I've been doing this since my first car and nothing bad has ever happened.

ive heard about waxing windows but ive never tried it. do you wax the inside also?

chubbychu
03-17-2003, 09:06 PM
wouldnt using newspaper make every thing all cruddy and black?

AkronSi
03-18-2003, 06:51 AM
I klasse the outside of my windows (except the front, which i use rain-x on).

I learned a good trick for the rain-x.

Before you wash your car, clean you windows. Then put on the rain-x. I usually do 2 coats. Don't buff it off like the directions tell you too. After you have the rain-x on, proceed to wash your car as you normally would. Just be sure to go over the windows. When your done, your windows will be nice and clean....and will repel water like mad.

SiR Medic
03-18-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by i-WERKS

I've tried this... It does work really well, but I find Rain-X has the same results and is much easier to apply.

i-WERKS
03-18-2003, 12:11 PM
i only use the wax on the outside. the inside i use regular windex with a cloth. I rarely clean the inside because I don't smoke in my car and no one touches the windows.
The wax is good because you can see when it has worn off. Then you'll know that it's time to re wax the whole car.

BarracksSi
03-19-2003, 02:55 PM
On the inside, I usually just fog the glass with my breath and wipe the heck out of it with a cotton cloth. No, it doesn't work very well when it's warm, but even just some water can help, if necessary. You'll be able to feel when the glass comes clean, because the cloth will move smoothly & consistently.

I've also used newspaper to clean glass. Some of the other benefits are that it's cheap, lint-free, and always new. It works pretty well.

Rain-X and regular wax also both work, that's for sure. It's certainly OK to use them on all the windows. I've used Rain-X more often, and very much appreciate how rainwater just gets blown off the windows.

I've also read in Road & Track a few years ago that some detail shops will use terry cloth towels, very hot water (almost too hot to touch), and lots of rubbing to get a purely smooth, almost liquid finish. Probably a lot of work for doing it every week, but might be worthwhile before taking the car to a show.

midas
03-30-2003, 08:46 PM
i am all about rainx...

MiniMiniVan
04-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Blah

Loudpedal
04-22-2003, 08:15 PM
A mix of vinegar and water is good at cleaning the inside of the windows. Works like a charm for greasy windows from smoking.

02NITEHAWKSi EP
04-23-2003, 01:20 PM
One word for you... BRILLO. Periodically Yes, I said Brillo. Make sure its nice and wet and a hint would be make sure all the paint that the Brillo soap will drip down is covered in soap. The Brillo soap is kinda a pain to rinse off is you do not do this. I ocasionally do this to all the windows. It keeps them polised and with no spots. Hit the windows and mirrors with Rain-X after that. They will come out brand new.

This will remove the road film on the outside windows and remove the water spots.

*****OUTSIDE WINDOWS ONLY*****

Brillo will not scratch your windows as long its nice and wet.