PDA

View Full Version : head internal swap for real vtec?

NMTSi
03-09-2003, 09:11 PM
this might be a stupid question, but what is it about the head on the K20A3 that is different enough that we couldn't *just* change out the cams, valve springs, rocker arms and ECU to get what would be close to a ITR engine (without some compression).

i pear at these after market cam shafts...
http://www.todaracing.com/products/honda_k20a/camshafts.html
note the "Available in April will be a complete TODA camshaft package which includes TODA camshafts, valve springs, and a special ECU." bit down near the bottom... the only thing missing would be the rocker arms and pistons (toda also has high compression pistons for your personal enjoyment). these are rather expensive, but this would be a step beyond a head replacement.

i've been searching this picture now for a long time, looking for differences in the casting (not the number of lobes on the cam shafts). and so far, the only thing i've noticed is circled in red, but i'm not even sure that part matters.

!@#$%
03-09-2003, 10:21 PM
everytime i see just how much difference there is i want to cry. :( once the k20a2 price has gone down to normal prices i will swap. until then....i will enjoy the a3. :D

chunky
03-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by NMTSi
this might be a stupid question, but what is it about the head on the K20A3 that is different enough that we couldn't *just* change out the cams, valve springs, rocker arms and ECU to get what would be close to a ITR engine (without some compression).

i pear at these after market cam shafts...
http://www.todaracing.com/products/honda_k20a/camshafts.html
note the "Available in April will be a complete TODA camshaft package which includes TODA camshafts, valve springs, and a special ECU." bit down near the bottom... the only thing missing would be the rocker arms and pistons (toda also has high compression pistons for your personal enjoyment). these are rather expensive, but this would be a step beyond a head replacement.

i've been searching this picture now for a long time, looking for differences in the casting (not the number of lobes on the cam shafts). and so far, the only thing i've noticed is circled in red, but i'm not even sure that part matters.

the differences you see appear to be just in shadow.

I too believe that swapping the cams and upgrading to the 3 rocker vtec system wouldn't be out of the question for 2002 si's.

Wether or not this is true, remains to be seen.