PDA

View Full Version : Pro-kit with 18" Wheels?

Hatch, Si Hatch
03-10-2003, 11:55 AM
I already have the 18's but haven't installed them yet because I want to get springs first. I was really thinking of getting the Pro-Kit because of everyday drivability seems to be pretty good. I have also thought of getting either the Sportlines or the Progess set up. The later 2 would give me more of the "dropped" look, but in the end they will also cost me more money due to either:
1) having to get a camber kit or,
2)buying more tires due to the negative camber

If anyone has any input on this/these setups plus maybe some pics(especially 18's with the pro-kit). I'm going to get price quotes today on those 3 different ones with installation.

Hatch, Si Hatch
03-11-2003, 06:28 AM
wow...ok...thanks ....for all the....input. (notice the enthusiasm...or lack there of)

ssvr6
03-11-2003, 06:57 AM
There aren't a lot of people here running 18's (a handful at best). Of them, I don't know if any of them are running the Pro kit...

So here's my take. Get the camber kit. It's another $160 shipped and no more than an additional $50 to install.

Get a good alignment and you're done. As far as how it looks, again, its going to be hard to find that combo here.

Good luck.

Steve

Hatch, Si Hatch
03-11-2003, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. I went to the shop that I was planning on ordering everything from and getting it installed at and they quoted me $460 for parts and labor. I thought this was alittle high. I think he told me like $230 for parts(just the pro-kit) and $230 for labor. I've never had springs installed so I don't know if this is a good deal or not. I know I can get the kit for a lower price from Showstoppers plus a few other places, but he will probably up the install price on me if I was to do this. I thought of installing them myself, but I've read a few horror stories from people on here tearing up various rubber boots, as well and the drive shafts falling out and stuff. So, once again I would appreciate some info.

madbrain
03-11-2003, 08:00 AM
Most install prices range from $30-$40 a wheel, so yes $230 is pretty steep.

ssvr6
03-11-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm about to spend $150 for installation of springs AND my camber kit. So yes, too much for that.

Try to negotiate a better price.

Steve

X 2KS2K
03-11-2003, 09:02 AM
It must depend on where you live. I got 5 different quotes ranging from 280-430 for just a spring install in Raleigh. Not a very big tuner market here I guess :(

EP3Hatch
03-11-2003, 09:20 AM
My suggestion to you is not to buy springs, instead, you should buy coil-overs. This will allow you to adjust your ride height to whatever you want (within the limints of the coilover). I have 18's and I bought Skunk2 coilovers and they are going on next week. You just have a lot more options with coil-overs, especially if you plan on adding a system or a nitrous bottle to the back (anything that will add weight to the rear of the car), you will be able to adjust the coil-overs for the added amount of wieght, with springs you can't.

ssvr6
03-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Also, coilovers will allow you to blow the stock shocks to hell a lot faster than just using springs. With all of the aftermarket shock selection, I'd stick with springs or wait.

Steve

Hatch, Si Hatch
03-11-2003, 01:50 PM
I would really love some coilovers, height adjustability is something that I would really like, however, just as ssvr6 said, due to the complete lack of aftermarket shocks(koni's....nahhh!), I felt that it was best to stick with springs for now. I originally was gonna get Ground Contols, but too many negative things have been said, noise, shocks blowing, bad camber as well as alignment being shot all the time.

One day(when I get rich) I'll go with some Tiens. Also Eibach seems to have a nice kit coming out soon. But for now springs seem to be my best bet, and the sportlines have only gotten rave reviews. Only complaint by most is "it doesn't drop it enough."

I'm gonna go back by the shop today and try to get him to lower the price some. A friend of mine got a sportline kit install awhile back on a 94' civic, I'm gonna ask him how much he paid.