PDA

View Full Version : higher quality interior in the Civic EX??

natesi
03-10-2003, 08:21 PM
I was at the dealership trying to get wipers (I say trying because they had to be ordered--believe it or not).

Anyway, there was a Civic EX right in front of the parts deptartment. I was looking in side at the interior parts and they seemed higher quality. Everything, such as the dash, door panels, steering column cover, etc, etc..... All the plastic in the Civic EX seemed more "rubbery" than hard "plasticy" such as in our car. The EX interior plastic was much more pleasent to touch.

Has any one else noticed this?

anjapower
03-10-2003, 08:25 PM
a lot of controls are the same between the EX and the Si...climate control knobs, seat levers, etc, but overall I think the Si is much better quality inside. But there are rattles galore in my car.:mad:

*Si GURL*
03-10-2003, 08:31 PM
...before i got my SI i had an EX...and i dont think the interior of the EX is in any way better than the SI...the dash and door panels seem pretty much the same...maybe a lil softer in the SI and the quality of the steering wheel in the SI seems a lot better...but maybe thats all just my opinion ;)

natesi
03-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by anjapower
a lot of controls are the same between the EX and the Si...climate control knobs, seat levers, etc, but overall I think the Si is much better quality inside. But there are rattles galore in my car.:mad:

I'm really disappointed with all the rattles in my car too. I ***HATE*** rattles; it's almost enough to make me want get rid of the car.

IceD out N CALI
03-10-2003, 09:09 PM
the ex has decent interior. the ep has more sporty interior which might account for the different touch and feel of it

HgSi
03-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by natesi

I'm really disappointed with all the rattles in my car too. I ***HATE*** rattles; it's almost enough to make me want get rid of the car.

Yeah, when it was new, it didn't make a peep, which impressed the hell out of me, considering I live in Brooklyn and the roads in NYC look like a war zone. However, 8000 miles later, the roads have gotten to the car and it now rattles like my 91 Laser used to.

I'm really not surprised, though, considering the size of the potholes around here. I'm glad the car hasn't completely fallen to bits. I have to say, NYCDOT does a terrible job, but I don't know if they can be blamed, with all the budget cuts we're seeing here. I've once saw a car get stuck because the asphalt caved in under their wheel as they parked. And it's not only the potholes. The asphalt is poorly laid and is wavy and bumpy as hell. Also, the utility companies keep tearing it up over and over again, and never fill it in properly. So yeah. I can live with the rattles, I'm just glad the suspension hasn't crapped out yet, and that I haven't crashed driving on the left side of the road trying to avoid some pothole the size of my car (esp. on Flushing Avenue).

For the top three worst stretches of road, I nominate:
- Flushing Avenue, from the BQE to Wycoff
- The FDR service road from 42nd Street to 34th Street
- First Avenue from Houston to about 34th.

I'm sure there are other horrible areas, but these come to mind as some of the worst I have to deal with regularly. Well actually, I've learned to avoid the FDR service road and make a detour via 2nd ave instead. But.... there you have it.

anjapower
03-10-2003, 10:25 PM
I have 2 rattles that drive me BONKERS. One is right behind my left arm when driving, somewhere right after where the drivers side door is. The second one is way over on the passenger side, but haven't pinpointed where it is coming from exactly. And I only have 2300 miles on it.

I did notice however that the 2 plastic pieces that cover the steering wheel hub are put together VERY POORLY. There is a huge gap in between them. Like the forgot to put glue in there or something. I think I'm just going to take some superglue to it. As for the rattles, I dunno.:mad:

Loudpedal
03-10-2003, 10:27 PM
I like the new Civic sedans blue "Optitron" look blue guages, and the chrome instrument bezel rings. Other than that, I think the interior in the EP is higher quality.

As far as rattles go, I'm hoping my EP does not turn into a rattle box. Any decently designed car today should be free of rattles, regardless of the types of roads encountered. Are rattles commonplace in the EP?

chakra71
03-11-2003, 02:01 AM
a friend of mine has an 02 EX and i honestly think the trim in the SI is better or at the least the same as hers in quality.

as far as the rattles go... it's a european made car, it's gonna shake some! (hehe) with a little time and effort you can track down the rattles. i fixed the one that is in the driver's side door near the cupholder/tweeter area.

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9837

pics included at no extra charge.

sonic imperial
03-11-2003, 07:47 AM
I think civics just rattle, they're still the bottom of the line honda and cheaper than a majority of cars out there so you'd have to expect some rattles. I've owned 4 civics now and all of them have rattled. I'm sure Honda would rather focus on reliability of the motor and mechanical stuff rather than a few rattles. It's annoying I know, but you get what you pay for sometimes.

1abSi
03-11-2003, 09:44 AM
i only have 2k but no rattles untill someone rearended me

stephen
03-11-2003, 10:50 AM
sheeeit, just turn the stereo up enough, and you won't even hear them.

LordKoo
03-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Yes, 2003 EX interior has been revamped by Honda. It is different, it has a different look, touch and feel to make it more upgrade!!!

The instructment trims have chrome accent to make it look upscale... And LCD lights to supplement it! It comes with upgrade armrest also... Comparing the 2003 and 2002 is like comparing apples to oranges!!!

King Kang
03-11-2003, 02:48 PM
The SI has one of the nicest interiors of any car on the market for the price.

IMO the interior of the EX/LX is not even on the same level as the SI. That soft material of the Ex dash is old school. Our dash features several different textures of molded material....which is rather luxurious in cars as cheap as ours. Pricy VW's feature the same style molding. My girlfriend leases an 02 LX and she has a big, boring, rubber steering wheel. How can you even compare that to our steering wheel? How can you compare our aggressive looking sports interior to the EX's blandness? I'll do everyone a favor and not even bother commenting on the EX seats vs the SI seats.

One thing I'm super jealous of is the chrome door handles you'll find in the 03 EX. Chrome door handles are the bomb b/c they are easy to see at night and look hot. Usually only nice hondas come with them. The blue "trendy glow" speedo and insturments are a cheap new-beatle knockoff IMO. All red is the way to go (unless you buy a Pontiac for this reason, in which case you are a tard.)

If you're really upset about the look of your interior, you can get that factory "carbon fiber look" kit.

peace

fyzm7357
03-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by stephen
sheeeit, just turn the stereo up enough, and you won't even hear them.

Second that!!!!:D :D

HgSi
03-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by King Kang
The blue "trendy glow" speedo and insturments are a cheap new-beatle knockoff IMO. All red is the way to go

Yeah, blue is played out, IMO. Everything that tries really hard to be cool nowadays has blue lights. Cars with 5 million flashing alarm lights, turn signals, and windshield washer nozzles, that are all blue, as well as cell phones, stereos and other things. Admittedly, it was quite cool at first, but it's too overdone nowadays. What high end cars have blue gauges nowadays (besides VW, who invented them)?

Red, OTOH, is quite timeless. I wish our gauges were red, but orange is ok.

jaydub
03-11-2003, 04:36 PM
I've got 11k miles, and no rattles. Then again, I'll be ripping out every panel to cover it with sound deadener for my car audio setup anyway, so it's not like I'll ever hear them once that's all done.

SiR Medic
03-11-2003, 04:51 PM
I love the interior quality of my car!

One of the first things I noticed was how the upper dash has sort of a "cordoroy" texture to keep from reflecting the sun.

Red and orange dash lighting own! They don't screw with your night vision and are much easier to read than blue-on-black.

The seats?:p

The Steering wheel?:D

The red stitching everywhere?:cool:

I do wish that all those silver surfaces were actually metal trim and not painted plastic...

2k2ep
03-12-2003, 01:07 PM
IF IT RATTLES TO MUCH TAKE IT OUT AND CALL I T WEIGHT REDUCTION