PDA

View Full Version : Anyone W/ Aem Bypass Valve

kenis138
03-11-2003, 06:40 AM
Hi all, well Im about to make some stomachs sink...
I know there has been a lot of debate over whether or not the AEM bypass valve is compatible w/ the 02si, seeing as how it is not listed on their website as an available part...
Well, I called AEM and talked to a primary guy in their technical department, and the answer is that it is NOT compatible. Not only will it not function properly, but because of incorrect positioning, the structural integrity of the system may be compromised. Translation: The valve is weaker than the pipe, and as things slightly move back and forth, the valve has a chance of cracking and being sucked into yer throttle body. Cute, huh?
Anyway, I am real pissed cause the shop I bought it through (yes, I bought something through a shop in my younger, less informed days) told me that I would be all set as long as I got a valve that was the same size as the pipe. I even mentioned that the part wasnt isted on their website. This was back in September, so I dunno what recourse I have. I will keep you guys posted....

ssvr6
03-11-2003, 06:50 AM
Wow! That sucks. I knew that there had to be a valid reason why no part was listed.

Steve

Bushido
03-11-2003, 09:17 AM
i tried putting one on but it didnt fit so i returned it.. but i cut the pipe.. but i covered it with one of the plastic rings.. is that going to affect it in anyway? also, does your aem intake sound a little.. low to you?

SOUTHPAW
03-11-2003, 10:08 AM
That sucks, I'm glad I went with the new AEM polished short ram intake. I knew something was up with that bypass valve. I look at it like this, a short ram with a heatshield is pretty much equal to a cold air with a bypass valve. Because, the AEM short ram sits pretty low in the engine(unlike the other short ram systems That don't seem to curve down) compartment and you have a heatshield that really deflects(After I drive a long distance the heatshield is never hot) most of the engines heat. On the other hand you have the cold air intake with the bypass valve(even if the bypass valve was working correctly, your still losing horse power through it). Also you always have to be careful when driving around water(it's just not worth it). It's just my opnion...

ep3si02
03-11-2003, 01:30 PM
hey kenis that same thing happend to me. the shop i bought it from told me it was going to fit. I even told them that aem's site says it isnt compatible and so do the instructions. They still told that it will fit. So when it finally came in two weeks ago it was to big so they reordered and the new one came in yesterday and it's still to big. I'm gonna email aem and find out for sure.

ep3si02
03-11-2003, 01:49 PM
I just called up AEM and they also told me what they told kenis. They told me there is no room for it.

kenis138
03-11-2003, 01:51 PM
ep3, do not put it on yer car. I talked to Robert, who is like THE technical guy at AEM, no BS. Either return the valve and just use the CAI w/ the associated risks, or return the whole thing and get a short ram. DONT CUT THAT PIPE!

If you dont believe me, Ill sell ya mine for $150.00 bux! ;) :(

ep3si02
03-11-2003, 02:03 PM
they gave me the installation for free and when the first bypass valve came in they had cut it. But i'm gonna call them up and see cause i told them twice that it says its not comaptible and they kept telling me its a brand new part and it fits I was gonna get the short ram from the beginning because i was scared of water being sucked and then they told me about the by pass valve so i got it. But now i found out it doesn't fit.

fyzm7357
03-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Sorry to get sidetracked, but does anyone know if the AEM CAI V2 is going to be released for our EPs?

jaydub
03-11-2003, 03:14 PM
My best friend works at AEM in the R&D dept. and I had mentioned that a LOOOOOOONG time ago. Also, as far as the v2 intake, I can't imagine there being enough room for that larger tube, as the regular one is already a snug fit.

Bushido
03-11-2003, 07:57 PM
i cut the pipe but i covered it up with one of the extra plastic covers? is that ok still?