PDA

View Full Version : JDM Impact Beams - Whats the verdict?

DownTheHatch
03-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Hey Chuck, did you get your beams yet? I need to know if they fit, and if so how much they will cost.

TY

DownTheHatch
03-20-2003, 05:18 PM
I found a pic of the front beam, check it out:

Type-R Beam:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/ek4/ep3.jpg

Si Beam:
http://www.ephatch.com/projects/H3.gif

EnJaNir
03-20-2003, 09:51 PM
i also would like to know the status

Sb00
03-21-2003, 12:08 AM
what's the diffrence other than the look??

EnJaNir
03-21-2003, 01:03 AM
for those with the jdm bc3 kit, or the type R kit the front bumper will not fit with the USDM impact beam..so to be safe we need jdm ones

Makross
03-21-2003, 01:08 AM
why did honda have to do this to US???:'( but it looks like you can just cut it shorter

ssvr6
03-21-2003, 05:31 AM
It would cost just as much to cut it as it would to buy the JDM replacement. That and cutting it would (IMO) reduce it's structural integrity.

Steve

DownTheHatch
03-21-2003, 11:41 AM
That, and removing such a vital member of the chassis would probably cause much chassis flex, making your car handle like crap.

BarracksSi
03-21-2003, 09:35 PM
Chassis flex? So the Type-R is actually a less stable platform than the US spec Si? I highly doubt it...

I wouldn't design a car whose bumper system is also an integral structural member, and I'm sure Honda's engineers are much smarter than me when it comes to chassis design.

George Knighton
03-21-2003, 09:36 PM
The lack of this kind of information is what's kept me from getting a CTR body kit so far.

I'm glad people are finally starting to find out and post the information.

Do these beams just bolt on, or is there welding?

SmoothOperator
03-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
Chassis flex? So the Type-R is actually a less stable platform than the US spec Si? I highly doubt it...

I wouldn't design a car whose bumper system is also an integral structural member, and I'm sure Honda's engineers are much smarter than me when it comes to chassis design.

Doesn't necessarily mean that the type R is less stable.
Just designed differently. Both beams probably provide the same support. But cutting the USDM beam would be messing with it's engineered design, and would probably weaken it. Even though it would LOOK closer to the JDM's design.
Hope that explanation's clear.

BarracksSi
03-23-2003, 04:28 PM
I'm guessing here, but I would expect that the bumper beams have nothing to do with the chassis stiffness. However, I would agree that to be done right, the beam should be replaced along with the bumper cover. I'm not sure that the US-spec beam would work properly with the JDM cover, and I don't think that shaving down the US beam would let it retain its own integrity.

Either way, I can't see the JDM conversion living up to the US-regulated 5-mph minimum.

CleanBlackSi02
03-23-2003, 05:14 PM
I would have bought my JDM bumpers from somewhere a long time ago if I had that part available to me. Any of you vendors wanna make a sale? Make that part available so we can have the CTR parts without sacrificing our safety!

SmoothOperator
03-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Check out thisLINK. (http://www.polepositionproducts.com/Products/JDM/jdm-honda-ep3-exterior.htm)
It's a Canadian JDM distributor. Is the "Re-Bar" the part we're talking about? Says "to fit front bumper". Only $140 US.

Mr.02BlackSIguY
04-03-2003, 05:53 PM
those prices are pretty good... 380 for sides? WOW.

steve_jones
04-04-2003, 06:32 AM
OK heres what i think is true regarding these beams?

There noting to do with structural strengthness, there infact due to American regulations when it comes to petestrian`s !

I believe there has to be a certain amount of flexible material between the main front bulkhead , and the front of the car i.e plastic bumper and inner beam , this is to protect pedestrians when they get hit by the vehicle .

In Europe , and most of the rest of the world, theses regulations are less strict, so therefore manufacturers can get away with smaller reinforcments, and therefore smaller bumpers on the car.

I know this was definatley the case for some of the older classic cars like MG midgets, and MGB`s who`s bumpers are totally different for the american market, ( they have a huuge bit of plastic onthe front ) to meet the american regs

Wether or not this will affect bringing the type r over there in its current state i do not know, but it could be a deciding factor ?

Steve

hamlet9634
04-04-2003, 10:55 AM
no no no.. absolutely wrong..

the impact beams are to protect the CAR from low speed (5mph) impacts. European markets don't demand the same low speed impact protection, and that's why euro and japanese cars are often different there than they are here. That's why the front bumper of the Evo had to be redesigned for the US market, too.

Protect pedestrians? are you nuts? A couple inches of HARD foam and plastic are not going to do ANYTHING to protect a person when they get struck by a car, regardless of speed.

by the way, my JDM front and rear impact beams are coming in next week and will be installed on my nearly totalled car soon afterwards. I'll update everyone on installation issues when this is done.

Makross
04-04-2003, 11:54 AM
380 n comes painted too? not bad not bad:o

steve_jones
04-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Just shows what i know :)

Cheers

Steve

BlackJDMep
04-05-2003, 10:52 AM
-downthe hatch

That, and removing such a vital member of the chassis would probably cause much chassis flex, making your car handle like crap.

I conqur. I have the bc3 kit with no front or rear beams. Falken Azenis and a progress rear sway with tie. I take my car up to the canyons 3 times a week. My car handels %&*$ tite! If anything. I think I picked up torque. Cuz I can feel my call PULL better going up hill due to weight reduction.:)

CleanBlackSi02
04-05-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by BlackJDMep
-downthe hatch

I conqur. I have the bc3 kit with no front or rear beams. Falken Azenis and a progress rear sway with tie. I take my car up to the canyons 3 times a week. My car handels %&*$ tite! If anything. I think I picked up torque. Cuz I can feel my call PULL better going up hill due to weight reduction.:)
That picture looks weird...photoshop anything on there?

Mugen Power
04-05-2003, 09:58 PM
I knew a guy who had an EK who took out his beams for weight reduction. His car got messed the freak up when he hit something w/o those beams...

BlackJDMep
04-07-2003, 01:37 PM
- CleanBlackSi02

That picture looks weird...photoshop anything on there?

Why you say this? Does my car look fake to you? I dont photoshop anything onto my car. Ask showstoppers. It was taken in front of showstoppers.

DownTheHatch
04-07-2003, 02:00 PM
If he photoshopped it he probably would have etched out the dent in his door.

Oh nice car by the way :)

hamlet9634
04-10-2003, 11:24 AM
picked up the front and rear bumper supports today from Fizz. Nice guys, though pricey. Going on the car this week. The rear is perhaps 2 inches shorter than stock, though overall similar. The front is actually in 3 pieces that you have to buy separately, very different from stock. NO, i don't have pictures. I don't know yet how easy they are to bolt on. Hope the body shop doesn't have too much trouble.

Will update everyone on here about them when finished.

DownTheHatch
04-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Awesome, now you can quench my query.

CleanBlackSi02
04-11-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by BlackJDMep
- CleanBlackSi02

Why you say this? Does my car look fake to you? I dont photoshop anything onto my car. Ask showstoppers. It was taken in front of showstoppers.
Oh I dunno...It seems like the car itself had a lower resolution that the wheels or something... No insult intended.