Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post How-to install your front JDM "H" (updated)

Ok, I finally got around to installing my emblems this weekend, and decided to take some pictures for the front...since that's the one everybody has trouble with.

It's actually very easy, it will probably take you about 15 minutes if your really taking your time. :D

Tools
    small flathead screwdriver
    stubby phillips screwdriver
    JDM emblem

STEP 1
    With your hood open :D You should see 2 rows of plugs. There are 4 plugs in each row. The top row keeps the bumper attached to the frame. The bottom row keeps the grill attached to the bumper. Use the flathead screwdriver to pop the middle of the plugs up, then remove all the plugs.

STEP 2
    Standing directly infront of the emblem, pull the top of the bumper towards you. It is pretty flexible, so just give it a good pull ;) You will need to clear the hood-release handle. Once you get clear of the handle, you can look behind and see the screws for the OEM emblem riser.

Step 3
    Now, use that stubby screwdriver to remove the 2 screws. It's a PIA, so be patient. You might want to get an friend to hold the bumper out for you. Once you remove both those screws, the whole riser will come off, revealing the new mounting spot. Notice the 2 red arrows, those point to the guide holes for the new emblem.

Step 4
    Now, put your bumper back together again. It might take some creative pushing and pulling the get the bumper back under the hood-release. With the bumper back in place, you can replace all the plugs that you removed earlier. Also, now is a good time to use some degreaser or adhesive remover to really clean the new mounting location. You want the adhesive to stick really good.

Finishing up
    Now that your bumper is back together, and your mounting spot is clean, it's time to stick the new emblem on. Remove the plastic covering the adhesive, and use the guide holes to place the emblem on. Go ahead and give it some good pressure so that the adhesive takes a good seat.

Now, go show that puppy off! Oh, and don't forget the back. It's pretty much self explanitory. :D

[edited April 14, 2003]

Back emblem
    Ok, maybe the back isn't totally self explanatory. As ep88 said below, use dental floss and goo gone (or some other adhesive remover). I recommend spraying some of the adhesive remover on first to help loosen the adhesive up a little bit. Then get yourself a couple big pieces of dental floss because you'll probably shred at least one of them. You need to slip the dental floss behind the emblem and then just floss that puppy :)

Think of the floss as a saw, so you need to pull it back and forth. Spray some more adhesive remover occasionally. Once you get all the way through the adhesive with the floss, you may still need to pry the emblem off (there is adhesive in the center that you can't get with the floss). It's sort of hard, but I just used my fingers since I didn't want to risk scratching the paint.

With the emblem off, use the adhesive remover to get rid of all that left over gunk. Then, just put you new emblem on using the guide holes/posts to get it perfect.

UK Flag
    The UK flag is easier since you don't need to remove another emblem first. Make sure you paint is really clean to start off with. I clayed that section of paint to make sure the paint was in pristine condition. After claying, I hit the area a couple times with adhesive remover. That will remove any wax/sealant that may be on the paint. It will also get rid of the quick detailer you just used to clay that area.

Once your paint is clean, you'll notice that your flag emblem is sandwiched between plastic. The bottom covers the adhesive and the top extends beyond the sides. Use this top section to help you align the flag with the existing civic emblem. I practiced a couple times, and then took the plastic off the adhesive. Now, very carefully align the flag. It should be centered between the civic and the molding that your "H" emblem is on. If you gently press part of the flag to the paint, you can still move it a bit to get it perfect. Once it's "just right" really press on it to get the adhesive to stick.

Now, your totally done. I'll take pictures and post them soon.

Hope this clears up any other questions that you might have.
    Last edited by AkronSi; 04-14-2003 at 05:49 AM.

Thumbs up

Great easy to follow instructions! Now I just need to call Showstoppers! :D

Great, this should be a sticky!:D

can this be used to remove the front "si" badge also?

plainol2k2si-I didn't check out the front Si badge. I didn't think of it until I had everything put back together again. Next time I get some free time, I'll try to check it out for you.

Pulling the top over the hood latch

I tried a few weeks ago to pull the top over the latch but was unsuccessful. I even scratch a little of the plastic in the process. From your picture, I think see some scratches too from from the hood latch metal rubbing against the plastic :o

Anyway, how much do you have to pull? Isn't it more like pull it towards you then once you clear the hood latch, pull it up??

Funny thing is you have badges to put on but I don't. I was just curious if I can open up that area. :D

thanks akron the si badging isnt held on by screws...but yea check for me thansk!

I couldn't get my bumper piece over the latch. And I was paranoid of pulling it too hard and snapping something. I just slid my hands in there and did it the hard way. :'( Also scratched that spot sumthin fierce.

It is a pain to pull the bumper out. You really have to pull, but I don't think it will break unless your He-Man or something :D By taking out all of those clips, you shouldn't snap anything.

I didn't look to close, but I didn't notice any scratches on the paint. The paint was pretty dirty, and i just sprayed some degreaser on it and wiped it with a rag, so it still looks kind of grimy. Even if there is a little scratch, it's out of the way. If it were easy to see, then I'd be pretty pissed.

Ok I have not ordered my reds yet so I am wondering how do you install the rear? Also how hard it is to intall the Flag on the rear too? The only emlblem work that I have done is restoring old Fords were they had posts and you had a retainer behind the sheetmetal holding in the posts.

Originally posted by siver-SI
    Ok I have not ordered my reds yet so I am wondering how do you install the rear? Also how hard it is to intall the Flag on the rear too? The only emlblem work that I have done is restoring old Fords were they had posts and you had a retainer behind the sheetmetal holding in the posts.
    installing the rear emblem is pretty easy...just take off the orig. emblem by using a dental floss, sliding it all around the emblem.. clean the surface using goo gone...then stick ur new red emblem! :D

I've edited the post to include the rear "H" and flag. Hope this helps. I'll post more pics soon.

I also checked the front Si emblem, and it looks like it's just a coupel plastic clips holding it on. should be easy to remove.

Thanks I ordered my badges last night. Got the front the back and the UK badge for $69.50 shipped with insurance on it since it is coming form the UK. I hope to get them next week they have to order in the UK badge should have that in tomarrow. I was wondering about that back if they had the post to make sure it was lined up right that is why I asked about the set up for the reast of the badges.

Thanks again
    Last edited by siver-SI; 04-15-2003 at 06:43 PM.

There are posts on the front and reat H's, but they don't clip from behind. They are just there as guides. When you get the flag, you'll see that it has extra plastic on it. You'll use this to align it with the 'civic' emblem. Just use your eye.

i went ahead and took off the front si logo....it was really easy but, its not put-back-on-able...its held on by some tabs that go one way. and i broke them off and it just kinda fell off the front. yea, now i have a mystery honda woohoo!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information