Close

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    SiNi$t3R
    Originally posted by JruSi02
    no one really buys an intake to "get great gains" everyone does it for the sound
    And I bet u can't wait for the LED washer nozzles to be available for ur car either.

Originally posted by JruSi02
    no one really buys an intake to "get great gains" everyone does it for the sound
    That is totally wrong and full of crap!
    While the HP gain is somewhat "not great" changing the air intake system is one of the most vital step in tuning your engine, it really improves throttle response in the higher rpm range. The stock airbox is designed to baffle the noise, increasing the resistance of airflow while drawing hotter air from under the hood.

FailureToStart
    Originally posted by SHAKEnBAKE

The stock airbox is designed to baffle the noise, increasing the resistance of airflow while drawing hotter air from under the hood.
    I must add that the stock box is designed as not to suck water in. This is vital. In the 80's Acura (Honda) designed intakes that sat too low underneath the car and sucked water up by the hundreds. This was an expensive mistake that forced Acura to re-issue engines galore.

The other point of a box is to hold a large reservoir of air for a steady flow.

Last but not least is for emissions purposes. Remember that it's the filter moreso than the intake that causes restriction. Changing the stock filter with a K & N does wonders. The positioning of the stock induction hose is much better than any SRI on the market. All the SRI's aim the filter closer to the exhaust manifold...the hottest part underneath the hood!

ephatch member
    what is this aem 101? i know what an intake does... and you said no one on ephatch? check the sigs cause i definately saw someone listing "AEM CAI - For Sound"

ephatch member
    FailureToStart: I would check out May 03 edition of Import Tuner, where they test the factory airbox with the regular filter and the K&N. There was NO increase in HP when using the K&N, and it was concluded that the stock air box is the source of any restriction...

FailureToStart
    How might you then, explain how all the SRI's on the market, which show their numbers compared to the stock box are unable to beat it up until past 4,000 rpm? Don't trust magazines. They are sources of one-sided, information, typically misinformation. Motor Trend gets their quarter mile times and 0-60's with the car going downhill...

Originally posted by FailureToStart

I must add that the stock box is designed as not to suck water in. This is vital. In the 80's Acura (Honda) designed intakes that sat too low underneath the car and sucked water up by the hundreds. This was an expensive mistake that forced Acura to re-issue engines galore.

The other point of a box is to hold a large reservoir of air for a steady flow.

Last but not least is for emissions purposes. Remember that it's the filter moreso than the intake that causes restriction. Changing the stock filter with a K & N does wonders. The positioning of the stock induction hose is much better than any SRI on the market. All the SRI's aim the filter closer to the exhaust manifold...the hottest part underneath the hood!
    you crack me up. I can't wait till you start putting your car on a dyno and say your stock intake is better than my cheap ass short ram intake I have. You seriously kill me. I have a pic of a dyno that was done on my car...do you???? didn't think so. I bet you even think a header won't help. you constantly go on and on about how aftermarket parts don't help

FailureToStart
    Your gullibility cracks me up likewise...a lot of the stuff on our car is hard to beat. Exhaust add ons unlock a lot of power. I agree with those types.

And no I don't care what you post, If I can verify your numbers for myself then I will believe them.

Your gullibility cracks me up likewise...a lot of the stuff on our car is hard to beat. Exhaust add ons unlock a lot of power. I agree with those types.

And no I don't care what you post, If I can verify your numbers for myself then I will believe them.
    ??? so you're saying you don't believe my dyno??? okay, ask cone killer he was there also.

Do me and everyone else a favor...shorten your stupid sig....no one cares for that crap, put it in your profile.

ephatch member
    So you can see the viability of opening up the tailpipe but not in uncorking the intake? Uhhhh....

FailureToStart
    The header and exhaust are by no doubt great upgrades. I stand firm on that statement. I've swapped out so many I/H/E components on my car (AEM< Injen, Greddy, HKS) and nothing has come closer to the gains of stuff on the exhaust side, nothing.

Would you like to show me an intake for our car that gives me more HP than our exhaust??? BS if you say yes.

And for anyone that thinks that the stock stuff engine-wise isn't any good than why did you buy the fing car?

The header and exhaust are by no doubt great upgrades. I stand firm on that statement. I've swapped out so many I/H/E components on my car (AEM< Injen, Greddy, HKS) and nothing has come closer to the gains of stuff on the exhaust side, nothing.

Would you like to show me an intake for our car that gives me more HP than our exhaust??? BS if you say yes.

And for anyone that thinks that the stock stuff engine-wise isn't any good than why did you buy the fing car?
    it's as if you make things up as you go along...or you have this imaginary world going on in that little head of yours.

I did not say anything about not liking the car. I love the car, but I also like adding mods.

You act like the intake is not going to do anything for the car. It helps complete the i/h/e combo. No one said the intake makes more gains than a header or exhaust.

One more time...shorten your freakin sig, it's stupid, you have a mod area in your profile, it's there for a reason...wake up!!! if you're so freakin smart!

ephatch member
    I don't think a single person would have bought this car if they didn't like it. Are any of the cars in this price range perfect? Far from it. Is the EP Civic? Nope. If we could afford perfect we would buy it. In the mean time some of us purchased a vehicle that we deemed good to go, and some of us see it as a solid starting point and platform for all kinds of modifications that make us happy. I apologize for the bunch of us that think that a couple hundred bucks is worth a few horses, response, and just perhaps some aesthetic value as well. Generally speaking, most people find the intake to be the cheapest, coolest, best bang for hard earned buck that they can get. It's also nice to personalize your vehicle...

FailureToStart
    I like your insight...hundreds of dollars barely get you that many horses, if any. Most people aren't bright enough to realize that, let alone know how to install them.

As far as intakes go for customizing. Yes and no. I had an AEM CAI for awhile. The tube alone was bent towards the bumper and difficult to see. As far as the filter...forget it; it was too far down and underneath the headlight to be visible.

I'll admit if you're going to get any kind of intake this is the only thing that'll beat the stock one. And really only at high RPM. I took my CAI off when it started raining and put the stock box on, felt a lot more torqueful.
    Last edited by FailureToStart; 04-21-2003 at 09:40 PM.

SiNi$t3R
    it started raining and put the stock box on, felt a lot more torqueful
    "Torqueful"!!!???? Is that even a word>??

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information