Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up My Spring Install - AWESOME!

Two weeks ago, I spent an entire weekend replacing the springs on my 2002 Si with an Eibach Pro Kit. After spending hundreds on tools and breaking two spring compressors, here are the results:

Before:

After:

I'm 99% satisfied with the results. The handling is terrific. I never knew FWD could handle so well. I've put the suspension through its paces with no ill effects or bottoming-out. The only problem that I sometimes experience is a slight squeaking in cold, damp weather when I turn the steering wheel to either extreme. I'm not sure what's causing this, but it goes away when it is warm and dry.

Having not done this before, I didn't know what to expect. I bought the Helm manual, spring compressors, metric open-end wrenches, 250 ft/lb torque wrench, tie-rod separator and a few other things. I didn't really run into any snags, but have the following comments:
    [list=1][*]In my opinion, the plastic damper mounting bearing between the damper mounting base and upper spring seat seems a little cheap to me. I've never worked on a strut before, but you would think that the part would be made of metal. I did remove the thin stock grease and reapplied thicker all purpose grease.[*]In the front, the Eibach Pro Kit spring doesn't seem to fit as nicely in the upper spring mounting cushion as the stock spring. This seems to make the bump stop rub against the cushion unnecessarily.[*]The tie rod separated easily from the ball-joint using the tool.[*]The Eibach springs came with new bump stops for the rear. I couldn't figure out how to remove the stock bump stops so I left them on.[*]I couldn't torque the self-locking nut on top of the dampers for obvious reasons. How tight should these be?[*]I stared at the rear for quite some time and couldn't figure out why it's considered double-wishbone.[/list=1]
    I'm running 205/40/17's. When these wear out, I'll probably go with 205/45/17's which will further diminish the wheel gap. In my opinion, when a vehicle is properly lowered the gap should be the same surrounding the wheel. The Eibach Pro Kit accomplishes that goal perfectly.

This mod is highly recommended. It's not difficult at all provided that you have the required tools AND a Helm manual. Time consuming, but not difficult.
    Last edited by Shark; 04-14-2003 at 07:51 PM.

Just wait till the springs settle. It will lower more.

nice job

Thumbs up SWEET!

Excellent post. Very informative. I'm about to go buy the exact springs for my EP.

should have got the sportlines...would help with that wheel gap a tad bit more.

man, I'm soooooooo glad to hear you had a good install...so everything seems good so far right :) It seems a lot of people have problems installing springs.

looks nice man n how did you manage to break two spring compressors? hope you didnt rent it from autozone or something

i just bought my baby some springs...sportlines.
    BUT MY CAMBER KIT is BACK ORDERED grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :'( ill have to wait for 1.5 to 2 weeks, make it 3 weeks before i can install em :(

Originally posted by Makross
    looks nice man n how did you manage to break two spring compressors? hope you didnt rent it from autozone or something
    I stripped both sets!

Originally posted by ep88
    i just bought my baby some springs...sportlines.
    BUT MY CAMBER KIT is BACK ORDERED grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :'( ill have to wait for 1.5 to 2 weeks, make it 3 weeks before i can install em :(
    Luckily, with the Pro Kit you don't need a camber kit. The rear camber is within factory specifications. If the car is lowered more than 1", you will definitely need a camber kit in the rear.

nice ride

cuz i just put on a set of superleggera with 215/45/17
    and i already plan that i will get pro kit in the summer

once agian, nice ride !!! (mine gonna looks exactly like yours 2 montsh later, unless you have body-kit) :)

ephatch member
    good job, looks good with the superlegerras:)

Talking more pictures!

Shark can you post some more picts please? :)

I want to see the wheelgap front and back.

Cool

Looks tight. I think I may have to move from the H&R sport to the Eibach prokit. Keep us updated.

Re: more pictures!

I don't have any more pictures.

Originally posted by FACTION95Si
    Shark can you post some more picts please? :)

I want to see the wheelgap front and back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information