Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Custom intake under development

Here's a rough drawing:

It will be made of fiberglass with epoxy resin, coated with ceramic engine paint.

The first phase will be the short ram part, followed by the separate heat-shield box.

The filter will be the same one used on K&N's Typhoon.

I'll post the progress here as it goes.

S2000 intake?

You could skip all the trouble of making it yourself and just use an S2000 intake. It is basically the same idea with a cone filter inside an intake box. ;)

picture me rollin - 2pac toe knee's Avatar

Re: Custom intake under development

Originally posted by BlasTech
    Here's a rough drawing:

It will be made of fiberglass with epoxy resin, coated with ceramic engine paint.

The first phase will be the short ram part, followed by the separate heat-shield box.

The filter will be the same one used on K&N's Typhoon.

I'll post the progress here as it goes.
    cool beans!!! tell me how it goes... Im thinking about making my own ice box from my brother's stock airbox. Taking my time becuase i won't have my car back from the shop for awhile.

So far, everything is coming to about $80 for the whole thing, including filter. I was lucky enough to find a local supplier of fiberglass right by my house, and the sales guy there has an OZ lancer that he wants me to show him how to fix up for auto-x.

If there's enough material left over, I might make a battery relocation box custom fit to the hatch wall.

(grabs tape measure, goes to garage)

So far, everything is coming to about $80 for the whole thing, including filter. I was lucky enough to find a local supplier of fiberglass right by my house
    Hey man i was wondering if you don't mind what is the name of that company. I wanted to make a setup like this... (ram air)

I go down to Austin every month or so to party with friends that go to UT.

Thanks
    Tony

The place is called "Industrial Composites" its near Slaughter and Congress on the south end. Thier number is 512-294-4477 (m-f 9-5)

They only have Polyethelene resin, but I want to use epoxy (stronger, less smell, more expensive) from Boater's world up north at 231-1559 (m-f 9-9, sat sun 12-5).

Those ducts can be ordered and cut to fit from a racing catalog for a few bucks... I remember seeing pictures of them on the honda-tech board in the DC5-EP3 section under the T1-R intake thread, just a couple of weeks ago.

They are sold as "brake ducts" and you can attach a hose to go up to wherever.

Those ducts can be ordered and cut to fit from a racing catalog for a few bucks... I remember seeing pictures of them on the honda-tech board in the DC5-EP3 section under the T1-R intake thread, just a couple of weeks ago.

They are sold as "brake ducts" and you can attach a hose to go up to wherever.
    $100 dollars for the T1-R duct is alittle to much. The whole reason I am doing this mod is to save money and i am tired of waiting for the comtech ice box. I was wondering where can i get a "brake duct" at??? What catalog do you speak of??

Thanks
    Tony :)

Heres what I was referring to in the T1R thread:
    http://magic1.home.pipeline.com/pics/inlets.jpg

A quick search for "brake duct" on google yeilds lots more like:
    http://www.bakerprecision.com/brkduct.htm

I made a T1R intake for myself for $5 out of metal, but it was iffy because of water concerns, hence the new intake project ....

thanks for all your help man... Maybe we (including you, meet and my brother fASTBACK) could me up next time i go down to Austin. I am talking to a guy that is a american rep for the idol motorsports company and he said he will give me prices soon.
    Last edited by toe knee; 04-29-2003 at 02:14 PM.

Just let me know when you're coming through!

UPDATE

I've got the short ram mold just about finished. Here it is on top of the full-scale plans:

That peice will be wrapped in fiberglass (a few times, at varying angles for strength), so it represents the inner volume of the short ram.

It's made from cylinders of 2" thick dry foam from the craft store...for flower arrangements. It needs some smoothing out as you can tell, and it bends downward about 5 degrees after the "bung" to help the big filter fit in there.

Its kinda tricky to cut out the foam, and I learned that its easier to cut the peices too big, then sand them down to size (the stuff sands easy-peasy). But still you have to make your cuts straight down through the 2 inch board, so I improvised a cutting tool from an old jigsaw blade, and used a block of wood along its edge to make sure my cuts were perpendicular. Heres the home-made sculpting tools:

What would have been really handy is a 3-1/8 inch diameter by 2-1/2 cookie cutter.... oh well.
    :)

Also, a new site is in the works, documenting some DIY projects, feel free to contribute. EP3HACK

man thats a lot of hard work... I know it will be well worth it when you are done. I like the ep3hack site. Very Nice:)

Thanks, the intake is going to be a big part of EP3HACK site...probably in a month or two...I have some other small projects in mind though in the meantime.

The work isnt at all hard, the foam is cheap ($3 for a big sheet) and it sands really easy, so I just took my time figuring it out. I threw away 5 discs before I started getting ones I was happy with...the whole thing took about 2 hrs. so far.

PS: The REFERENCE section on EP3HACK has been updated.

Cold Blooodeeddd!!!!!

hey blastech

its big case. so my question is, is this the only airbox intake you are going to create or can i maybe get you to hook me up with one? BTW i still havent heard anything on that grand wagoneer that hit me at wendys on south lamar. oh, and i am thinking about painting my stock wheels black this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information