Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Found spring compressors for $14.

Check it out:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38531

Thinking of doing it myself again, this way I can get them faster...$175 install will delay springs at least 2 months.
    Last edited by HondaMan; 08-06-2002 at 07:05 PM.

Here are another coil spring compressor for only $10:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3980

ephatch member
    Jotec in Texas ? My boy from my crew lived down there and said thast the freaking place to go. hes really good friends with the owern n reps them down here in jersey

neko

OrganDonar 8=D
    Originally posted by David K.
    One other thing to keep in mind is that our cars have a McPhersion(spelling?) strut setup. I had my H&R's installed by a local import performance shop and they aparently didn't have a working knowledge of this setup. From what I understand the whole strut assembly rotates with the wheel when you are turning and if you do not reassemble it properly you will get binding and a really nasty popping noise when you turn your wheel. I had to take my to another shop (Jotech) to get the prob. corrected. IMO it's worth it to have this done correctly the first time.
    i installed my springs and the one tip i could give is when you reassemble the spring/mounting plate pay close attention to where you line up the end of the spring coil. there aren't any instructions on this in the box. i had to take apart my front end twice. i was getting that clunking noise in the front end very loud, frequent, and disturbing. i called in to h&r and in 2 seconds the guy told me what was wrong. (if its that common put it in the damn instructions!!)

anyway, the coil on the h&r spring ends 1/4 turn shorter than the stock spring. so if you do like i did and line it up where the stock ones ended on the top mounting plate, the plate will not sit right. you will then get the clunking noise.
    what you do is line up the end of the coil (H&R) where you see the white hash mark on the top of the mounting plate. besides this little problem ,wich you can now avoid, the installation was easy. the rear assembly you cannot mess up and will only take 25-30 minutes. good luck if you decide to go for it

Originally posted by OrganDonar 8=D

i installed my springs and the one tip i could give is when you reassemble the spring/mounting plate pay close attention to where you line up the end of the spring coil. there aren't any instructions on this in the box. i had to take apart my front end twice. i was getting that clunking noise in the front end very loud, frequent, and disturbing. i called in to h&r and in 2 seconds the guy told me what was wrong. (if its that common put it in the damn instructions!!)

anyway, the coil on the h&r spring ends 1/4 turn shorter than the stock spring. so if you do like i did and line it up where the stock ones ended on the top mounting plate, the plate will not sit right. you will then get the clunking noise.
    what you do is line up the end of the coil (H&R) where you see the white hash mark on the top of the mounting plate. besides this little problem ,wich you can now avoid, the installation was easy. the rear assembly you cannot mess up and will only take 25-30 minutes. good luck if you decide to go for it
    Awesome advice! Many Thanks!

Keep'em coming folks... :)

Edit: BTW, I'm going to go for it!
    Last edited by HondaMan; 08-07-2002 at 02:56 PM.

take pictures and detailed instructions!!!...I wanna do mine myself also, I don't trust shops :(

Thumbs up

Originally posted by ApexinSi
    take pictures and detailed instructions!!!...I wanna do mine myself also, I don't trust shops :(
    Will do.

ephatch member
    self correcting front camber? since when? by the way, even if you don't go with a camber kit, an alignment will still be a good thing for atleast the front...you have toe and castor to deal with...so atleast get a front alignment...the back on the other hand, i don't think will do you any good at all without the camber kit...but check it out with your local alignment shop, there's a good place here and he even stocks some camber kits...even stock height vehicles need them (atleast in the past), because honda had no camber adjustment on the vehicle stock so they were sometimes needed to do a correct alignment... ;) just a little info i've found out in the past on 2 different accords i've had...so maybe i'm wrong :p but again, check with a reputable alignment shop with knowledge of macpherson strut work... good luck with the install...

Re: I wouldn't try it...

Originally posted by FireFighterSI
    I wouldn't try lowering it yourself unless you have years of practice and experiance. The new Si has ball joints, rather than your typical hinged joints like other civics. Now your going to need a ball-joint spreader to get them apart. And if you do it wrong of break them, which is easy if you don't know what your doing, then your screwed. Also you might be overlooking one big thing.... how are you going to lift the car high enough to get the joints and suspention apart?

I guess it is possible, but this isn't a light fixture...this is a major part of the vehicle.

Good luck, and happy driving!
    hhmmm....not sure what you are talking about, I installed mine in 2 hours. Just used jack stand and a heavy duty lift. And power tools help as well. It's easy as pie :D

Installed springs on Celica without a compressor. My friend used an airgun and it didn't spring off at all..it jumped a half inch or so.
    Not too bad

It went okay, I got the fronts done with help from my wife at times. I really need air/power tools! It took me almost 5 hours to do the left spring install and the right one took less than 2 hours. Rather steep learning curve on the first one, but I got them done...hopefully both rear installs will take less than 2 hours tomorrow. My car looks funny right now...low in the front and jacked up in the rear...hehe! :D

I will have pics and a general how to from my spring install late tomorrow (after I get done)...stay tuned!

Thanks again 02SilverSiHB for helping me out over the phone! :) Also, I'm with you...I'm not sure what FireFighterSI is smoking...I don't think he knows what his talking concerning this topic/thread (no offense dude). ;)

Lastly, buy, rent or borrow air/power tools (impact wrench/gun) if you can!!! I highly recommend it!!! They would have saved me a crap load of time and soreness!
    Last edited by HondaMan; 08-17-2002 at 11:00 PM.

Originally posted by HondaMan
    It went okay, I got the fronts done with help from my wife at times. I really need air/power tools! It took me almost 5 hours to do the left spring install and the right one took less than 2 hours. Rather steep learning curve on the first one, but I got them done...hopefully both rear installs will take less than 2 hours tomorrow. My car looks funny right now...low in the front and jacked up in the rear...hehe! :D

I will have pics and a general how to from my spring install late tomorrow (after I get done)...stay tuned!

Thanks again 02SilverSiHB for helping me out over the phone! :) Also, I'm with you...I'm not sure what FireFighterSI is smoking...I don't think he knows what his talking concerning this topic/thread (no offense dude). ;)

Lastly, buy, rent or borrow air/power tools (impact wrench/gun) if you can!!! I highly recommend it!!! They would have saved me a crap load of time and soreness!
    :D yeah, air power tools rule! :D The rear is a piece of cake, it's just getting them back in was a pain for me

Yeah, now I remember why it wasn't that bad doing the suspension mods on my '89 Civic Si with my mechanic buddy years ago...HE HAD AIR/POWER TOOLS! LOL! :D

Well, it sounds like my front springs are not sitting correctly had make a noise when hitting bumps (especially the right front)...it's not real bad but noticeable...I followed all the advice given by folks here and now I'm confused.

Maybe they will settle in after awhile. BTW, do you take off or move up the rubber sleeve on the front springs??? Maybe that's the problem?

FourJays

Unhappy

$175?!! I was quoted installing H&R springs as a 5-hour job at $350.00 by a Tire Rack-recommended shop!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information