Close

undaground knowledge

long term problems?

hey I know this was talked about earlier, but....

I had my first oil change at 3g's, I'm at 5200 right now, and again this morning, I find I down a quart and a half again. Is this an engine problem? or is it that since we use and 5 weight oil, and our combustions are always timed right from I-Vtec, is it just burning it off?

I guess I should check my oil later on, haven't done so for about 000 km's. Last time I did check it, all was fine, this was around 3000 km's.

Glix
    This is a problem with the engine. I've had my car to the dealer 3 times now for oil consumption issues. It did get a little better after I switched to 30w, but it still burns oil.

nikkotyper

Yeah, new cars burn oil: but how much is too much?

Somebody mentioned anything over 1 qt/1k miles is too much within the first 5k.
    That sound reasonable.
    I experienced that with other engines as well (although not as much as 1qt/1k miles)

undaground knowledge
    it didn't eat that much oil( 1 liter to a 1k miles). hmmm.....

new engine design.... built in england.... thosae brits better have put it together right the first time.

nikkotyper

Well, I just got mine and ...

I am not sure yet if it is actually loosing any oil.
    Is everybody else experiencing this, or it is fairly rare behavior?

That doesn't sound normal...my '89 Civic Si didn't burn that much oil even when it had 140,000 miles on the odometer.

undaground knowledge
    the only thing that does look good, is the atleast the color of the oil is still golden brown.... not black.... i'm not seeing a lot of contaminates either

LateSleeper

I just added a little over 1/2 a quart and I have 1500 miles. I called the dealer and the tech said that adding up to a quart every 1000 can be normal. Must be that ultra thin oil... who knows. This was from Motorcars Honda in Mayfield Heights, OH. Might as well say that we have a 2 stroke engine. ;)

On my last visit to the dealer, I tried to buy a couple of quarts of Honda 5w-20 and they said that they only sell in bulk. I ended up going to a local autoparts store and getting Mobile (Drive Clean) 5w-20.

Glix
    Originally posted by grooveline
    it didn't eat that much oil( 1 liter to a 1k miles). hmmm.....

new engine design.... built in england.... thosae brits better have put it together right the first time.
    erm, the engine and tranny are built in japan :)

Thread Information