Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

please let me know what you think.. overhead console

I posted a subject on here about an overhead console for my 12 disk CD changer. No one was able to help me so I went ahead and made one out of a third brake light assy from a Crown Vic. I had to cut some out of the middle, epoxy the pieces back together, prime, sand, prime, sand and kep doing it until I got a good finish. The final stage was wet sanding it smooth.

I made a wooden template of the unit, and used it as my guide. It is help up with 4 bolts, and a metal plate slipped in through the hole from the dome light.

I hope you guys dig it since it looks like it is factory.
    Last edited by ta2dSi; 07-31-2003 at 10:18 PM.

more pics

here are more pics

more pics

here is one more

and the last one

here is the last pic

Thumbs up

Cool beans dood! How'd you do that? And what does it control? Stereo? What about that mirror you got there, what's that called? Did you remove the old console? Sorry for all the questions . Looks cool!

Rocky
    Showstoppers USA

Pretty ingenious,

I like that funky mirror too...:)

Looks like you did a great job! Looks like it could be factory. What the hell kind of mirror is that and why is it shaped that way?

this.setRootCause(last);
    That's pretty damn clever.

Wow, nice job. I knew Fords had to be good for something.

Be aware -- you have now been tagged as a Guy Who Knows How To Install Shit (GWKHTIS). ;)

the install

The mirror is a Folia Tec mirror. I got it from DriverFX.com something like 90 bones. It is also a wide angle view mirror, so I can see from about the bottom of the rear seat back, and out of the rear passenger window.

The controller is for a JVC 12 disc CD changer. it is also FM modulated, i ran the cabling for it between the headliner and the windshield, and down the "A" pilar (which took about 30 min just to get the damn cable between the "A" pilar and the dash. This car is build pretty tight I would have to say...

Anyways, I got the changer from my bank for 5 bones. (for every dollar you spend you get a point) I had over 25000 points and I had my choice of all kinds of stuff. (it took me like 3.5 years to get there)

So I still have my stock radio, with my pioneer Amp and my Rockford Fosgate 8"'ers All I did was add the 12 disc changer.

It took me 2 hours everyday for 2 weeks (I stayed late at work) and I got it all done. The guys at work were teasing me since it took so long to do. but I would do it again, and I am glad that I prepped it right. They also said I should have taken pics of it before and after. (I wish I did too!)

My whole thing was that I didn't wanna advertise that I have a 12 disc cd changer for someone to break into my precious. And I got it now.

Wow that's a really impressive set up man. VERY original. Only question is...Where did you mount the CD Changer itself?! In the hatch? Under a seat? In the glove box??

in the hatch

Yeah and put the cd changer in the hatch. and it has only skipped once for my so far so I am thinkin it is a good place.

I also put some brownbread/dynamat type stuff on the hatch and floor where the spare is, VERY BIG DIFFERENCE!!!! wow!!! you can totally tell now too. if you tap on the body just after the rear window, and then on the hatch, there is no twang from the metal. My and my friends are going to go in together and get a ton of Brownbread, and do our cars.

(EP) 2002- A Space Oddity RiceCzechs's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thumbs up for a VERY original install... I've given thought to an overhead console, but more for something like sunglasses storage and interior/exterior temp readout. I figured it'd likely have to be pirated out of another Honda product, but with the map lights and switchgear up front, it doesn't really seem plausible. That said, guys on the Ranger site I used to frequent cribbed them out of Explorers with frightening regularity (having the same dash helped with temp sensors)....

Nice work!!!!!!!

ephatch member
    Great job, wish I had the skill to do some work like that. Looks Good!

Chris

Netguru
    Very, very nice install.....wish I had skills like those......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information