Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    WTF are you lookin @!? BlackNRedSi's Avatar
    you know what eric?! you been hiding in the background over here waiting to put your2cents in havent you!?

took you long enough bud!

anywho, no, no1 has any specifics on this...it like JUST came out, the first person that posted on this thread that said he got it...was actaully the FIRST person borla gave it out to....so no1 knows the gains, borla aint tellin me shyte, and i am tired of talking to them on teh phone cause i am not getting anywhere....you are more than welcome to call them eric....call Richard @ borla...1-877-GO-BORLA, maybe they did a dyno on this...Part Number:17219

Thank the lordy! No welding. About the performance, its better than I have now which is stock. Dont all borla products have a million mile warrenty?

So where can I buy one without a group buy? Does anyone no of an online shop I can buy one besides nopi? I'm looking to purchase one today.

ask questions i got them all answered!

I just got off the phone with TED from BORLA, he is the TESTER @ their company, so i made sure to get to the RIGHT person that KNOWS ALL about this product!

Here is the deal....

Welding - no it doesnt have to be done, but you NEED to clamp.
    to pass emissions- you MAY have to WELD for certian states.
    to get best performace- you SHOULD weld, that is what they did on teir tester car....

So its sounding like, if you want to do it yourself, w/o welding go for it, but make sure it doesnt leak...(that is norm with all NON welding headers)

as for specific GAINS... ted said he can not release that information due to liablity...but he said it is a NICE big gain though out all the gears! thats a plus!!!

civicpimp yes you can order this header today (w/o any of us) call 21st century exhast, john is there right now....

email me etorretti@wilmingtontrust.com or PM me for specifics on what to say to him to get a good discount!

I hope this clears up all the SHIT on this header that we have all been dealing with on this thread!

Write back all

Eric

lets say I install the header and exhaust myself. Can I take it to carx and have the do the welding or does it have to be done during the install?

FUCK you! I like 'em!! esmith13's Avatar
    DANM, see what happens when I step in to motivate your ass, Eric?? ;)

E.

ok.... now i really got in on Borla...I was speaking with Scott @ 21st century (owner of 21st century) he wants to know whats the deal as well

so HIM, TED (from borla) and GREG(rep from borla) are having a meeting right now to find out what the deal is on this header...cause its giving all of us a headache over here !

will post when scott gets back to me!

Eric

ok...so how many people do we have in? Id like to get this asap! come on guys, 8 or maybe 7 people now, cant be that hard to come up with for a quality group buy...

Originally posted by esmith13
    Couple things.....

1. I don't want to weld SHIT onto my car permenantly...
    2. Ceramic coated headers are usually considered an UPGRADE from plain steel.
    3. There is a difference between 4-2-1 and 4-1 in performance (not sure exactly which is better tho)
    4. Bigger pipes are not always a good thing!! DC header has torque gains throughout powerband and HP header has more high end power. The difference?? HP has bigger piping and DC has smaller piping. Having some preassure in there helps preserve torque, where HP's higher end only comes from having bigger pipes to move more flow non restrictivly at high speed, but looses that low end torque as a result....

Does any one have ACTUAL info on what gains are to be had with the borla header and where those gains are (HP?, Torque?, High End?, Low End?)

Eric
    Couple of points.

Stainless steel is considered to be the ideal material for making headers as it has excellent insulating properties on it's own. Coating them in ceramic is usually unnecessary. The dc ceramic coated header is made of mild steel which does not have as good insulating properties as stainless, hence it must be ceramic coated. The ceramic coating also helps prevent rust.

There are far more important factors to the performance of a header than it's basic layout. 4-2-1 and 4-1 headers can both offer excellent performance throughout the powerband. However, 4-1 headers usually offer slightly better top end gains, and 4-2-1 headers offer slightly more midrange.

On bigger pipes v.s. smaller pipes, The reason why the DC offers better midrange torque is NOT b/c it creates more pressure as you stated. The smaller header primaries create higher gas flow velocities for midrange exhaust gas volume. The hp header reaches optimum exhaust gas velocities with greater exhaust gas volume (higher rpm). So the two are just optimized for different parts of the rpm range. And it's exhaust gas flow velocities that are responsible for the change in torque, not pressure.

Also, from what David Borla himself posted about the header

1) welding is optional, but CUTTING is required. The header itself is a two piece design, the upper part bolts onto the head and comes to a flange. The 2nd part has a flange, and the other end slips over the downpipe to the cat. This is where the welding/cutting is required.

Now before you guys freak out and call borla a crappy product, there is a GOOD REASON why they did this. By going to this design, they are able to make longer header primaries than if they used the stock flanges. It's not as good as the comptech longtube, or jr race header, but it does offer better performance than all the other "bolt in" headers. The other benefit is you still keep the cat in it's STOCK location, so it will pass emissions with no sweat (unlike the comptech & JR headers).

so it's in my eyes the ideal street compromise. The most power you can get w/o having to relocate/get rid of the cat.

Most exhaust shops should charge you maybe 50-80 bucks for the entire install. it will take them all of like 20 minutes to do.

I stand corrected....

Thanks for pointing all that out!

Eric.

chunky

YOU ARE MY HERO!!! Thanks man!

now for a roll call on who wants to do a group buy!

1 for me here

I'll take one, if you're payin', Eric!!!! ;)

... Otherwise, I may have to wait...

E. :angel:

sure eric i will buy it for you, but you have to get me that girl in teh picture i took with the orange z24! :)

<raises hand> im in...:)

while this unit is my header of choice, I have a few things that have prior claim on my l00t for right now.

if this was like a month later, i'd be in. :(

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information