Close

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Banned
    i am in!!!

Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
    yes the borla is better than the dc sport...i have contacted a few compaines on it....borla is using the stainless head, bigger head as well...where dc sport is using the ceramic head, that is almost the same size as the stock head....

as for the jackson racing....i will see what people on here want to do with borla, if no1 wants to do borla...we can move to jackson racing...but i am pretty sure i want to do a full borla system from head back (since i already have the borla exhaust)

WB ALL

Eric
    If you ever set up a Jackson Racing group buy. Let me know. :)

ephatch member
    I'm in.

WTF are you lookin @!? BlackNRedSi's Avatar
    so far 4 of us....

anymore?!?!?!

i wanna see a picture of this shit.
    exhaust that uses clamps?
    headers that need to be welded?

WTF is up with Borla?!

If I didnt want a bolt-on i'd go get a custom exhaust made for 1/5th the price.
    Oh wait, i always go custom anyway.
    Wadda I care?
    Just startin shit as usual.
    :D

most headers need welding...but if u want to see before you buy...i will set up pcitures

FUCK you! I like 'em!! esmith13's Avatar
    I thought that the DC Sports and HP Racing header did not need welding??

That would make Borla the only one that DOES need it.....

E.

read this by CHUNKY

Also, from what David Borla himself posted about the header

1) welding is optional, but CUTTING is required. The header itself is a two piece design, the upper part bolts onto the head and comes to a flange. The 2nd part has a flange, and the other end slips over the downpipe to the cat. This is where the welding/cutting is required.

Now before you guys freak out and call borla a crappy product, there is a GOOD REASON why they did this. By going to this design, they are able to make longer header primaries than if they used the stock flanges. It's not as good as the comptech longtube, or jr race header, but it does offer better performance than all the other "bolt in" headers. The other benefit is you still keep the cat in it's STOCK location, so it will pass emissions with no sweat (unlike the comptech & JR headers).

so it's in my eyes the ideal street compromise. The most power you can get w/o having to relocate/get rid of the cat.

Most exhaust shops should charge you maybe 50-80 bucks for the entire install. it will take them all of like 20 minutes to do.

and you gotta be careful with your headers anyway, you want your headers to be leaking because you used clamps and didnt use weld? sure you can clamp your exhaust, but thats an exhaust, this is a header we are talking about....

ephatch member
    welding?! yeah, forget it =P

Honestly, if I have to go through any sort of welding it would be to fit a hi-flow cat behind a serious race header(comptech longtube or Jackson Racing). It just seems like too much of a pain in the ass to be worth it otherwise.

Even though I care about emissions the idea of having the jackson Racing header with a testpipe running right to an exhaust has been tempting me.... =P

Originally posted by Tekdemon
    welding?! yeah, forget it =P

Honestly, if I have to go through any sort of welding it would be to fit a hi-flow cat behind a serious race header(comptech longtube or Jackson Racing). It just seems like too much of a pain in the ass to be worth it otherwise.

Even though I care about emissions the idea of having the jackson Racing header with a testpipe running right to an exhaust has been tempting me.... =P
    I dunno man, you can have the borla header for 1/3rd the cost of the comptech header, and 1/2 the price of the JR header.

And the comptech/JR headers are not going to give you very much more power. The borla header is head and shoulders above the dc/hp products, and the JR/comptech headers are just a notch above the borla. Is maybe 2-3hp really worth twice the money?

Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
    i wanna see a picture of this shit.
    exhaust that uses clamps?
    headers that need to be welded?

WTF is up with Borla?!

If I didnt want a bolt-on i'd go get a custom exhaust made for 1/5th the price.
    Oh wait, i always go custom anyway.
    Wadda I care?
    Just startin shit as usual.
    :D
    are you nuts man? anything custom costs 2x as much as a mass produced unit.

I'm having a custom intake made, and it will cost me over 300 bucks when all is said and done.

And custom headers? are you joking? custom headers are going to be about 600$ unless you get a real hack job. Mandrel presses ain't cheap, and the labor for those pretty welds ain't cheap either.

And what's the big deal with welding anyhow? Import owners are kinda spoiled in that respect. Domestic exhausts 90% of the time require welding.

I personally like the clamps & welding better than flanges, as flanges cause more boundary turbulence. ;)

ephatch member
    I know the difference might be minimal between the Borla and the JR, but I figure if I have to go through the whole hassle and time investment of welding, I might as well do it for the best....

Sure it's another $250 for the Jackson Racing, but my time is worth something, and if I'm going to get all this welding done I might as well get it with a full race header setup...

I think with the Jackson Racing header plus a good catback, the test pipe, torque dampener, hopefully a revised and I/H/E/ gaining hondata, and a serious intake system(I'm thinking about a CAI now...although I'm worried about hydrolock...), along with a set of slicks will probably get my Si into the 14's...

And the 14's is my goal =P Well, I would like to be in the 13's and the 12's but honestly, with the hassle this single speeding ticket has caused me, I think I'd just get in trouble a LOT more with a more powerful engine...

your not going to have to go through a lot of hassle of welding, its minimal welding thats going to be done...besides, i said this plenty of times and so has chunky....you want your head welded, and not just clamped....do you want your header leaking? no you dont, who cares if you have to put up a little extra money to bring it to a shop....

all you have to do is put the head on yourself, clamp it down, drive it to a shop say "hey, WELD this please!" they weld it, your done and done....

and the only reason why their exhaust is all snap ons and clamps is cause its a exhaust system, and it isnt being attached to the block, exhaust system is more simple than attaching a head....but it dont make a difference to me, if i only have 4 of us that want to do it, thats fine....u all can go spend the extra loot on Jacksons (still having to get the head welded, prolly more welding done) (so your paying more for teh head, more for the welding) and your not getting alot more out of it....

or you can go get the dc ceramic that snaps on, 2 - 1 that dc head will start leaking in a year....obviously borla was trying their hardest to have the head be a snap on clamp, but if they didnt think that was right then they are in the right to do so....thats my opinion

Originally posted by Tekdemon
    I know the difference might be minimal between the Borla and the JR, but I figure if I have to go through the whole hassle and time investment of welding, I might as well do it for the best....

Sure it's another $250 for the Jackson Racing, but my time is worth something, and if I'm going to get all this welding done I might as well get it with a full race header setup...

I think with the Jackson Racing header plus a good catback, the test pipe, torque dampener, hopefully a revised and I/H/E/ gaining hondata, and a serious intake system(I'm thinking about a CAI now...although I'm worried about hydrolock...), along with a set of slicks will probably get my Si into the 14's...

And the 14's is my goal =P Well, I would like to be in the 13's and the 12's but honestly, with the hassle this single speeding ticket has caused me, I think I'd just get in trouble a LOT more with a more powerful engine...
    Realize that you won't pass emissions with the JR race header or the comptech. It is quite common for them to throw a CEL code which you can't get rid of w/o standalone ECU. It's more of a hassle to me to have to completely swap my exhaust once a year just to pass emissions.

Borla goes on and stays on.

BlackNRedsi

so how's this group buy comin along?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information