Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Making my own intake..... thoughts

since I cant justify spending 200 plus dollars on an air intake, im going to venture out tomorrow and buy myself a regular conical filter element, eliminate my airbox and slap that bad boy onto my stock intake tube and see what happens, has anyone done this? I believe on the UK type r board someone used the BLITZ filter on his stock tubing, i figure take what Honda has given me and modify it to work a little more to my liking? cheap, effective, HOPEFULLY --joe

Get the K&N Typhoon for $141.73...see this thread:
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...=&threadid=718

R*I*C*E

2k2si , Please explain to me what's more ricey?? spending XXX amount of dollars on a chromed out bling bling intake system (guaranted for 50 hrspwr yO!!!), or just doing a little wrenching and using what you have already been provided with ie the stock intake and modifying, and saving some money for some REAL performance mods? RICE i think not, going against the grain probably. You my friend should rethink your definition of rice. --- joe ,who wonders if 2k2civicsi thinks a MBC (home depot job) IS ALSO considered rice compared to an EBC ...

A PICTURE OF A R*I*C*E*D OUT UK CTR 214 BHP.
    Last edited by 02blksi; 08-11-2002 at 08:33 PM.

Probably will work O.K.; I did that very thing to a previous vehicle of mine (93 Jeep Cherokee:D ) and it worked great. Just make sure all your other connections to the air box and whatnot are taken care of and you should be just fine. You might also consider how to secure the filter itself, as it will probably flop around some over bumps. Definately not rice if done properly. Myself, I bought the Typhoon and I love it.

thanks DAVID k for seeing my point. I will make sure that i secure the intake tube properly so as the filter element is not resting on anything obstructive. If I do not like the end result, I will like many others purchase the Typhoon intake, I mean for the price of a conical filter its at least worth a shot.. Thanks for the reply, --joe

RICE

creator of ephatch DownTheHatch's Avatar
    Go for it man, I just got my AEM for the sound anyway. Not like I expected to be hanging with Ducati's after installing it.

haha sorry dawg i was jus playin i just like the clean look of an bent pipe

bing bang boom .....
    Completed picture, of my homemade intake. My first impressions of course was the sound the car makes when vtec engages :) DEFINTELY Worth it, brings back memories :), anyways I apologize for the size of the pics heres one of them. You can also go to my website to see pictures of my old civic hybrid turbo, and more 2k2 Si pics. --joe MY WEB Address: www.boostedhx.20megsfree.com

BTW THIS COST ME 12.74 to do!!!! Not bad if I do say so myself..

Looks good...nice work/price! I bet it sounds a lot like the Typhoon...I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Looks good, any tips on what you did to insall this, and what to watch out for.

And what kind if filter did you end up getting?

Install:
    Remove top cover of OEM intake box, then remove the 4 10mm bolts holding the bottom portion of the oem intake, dont forget to remove the 10 mm bolt that holds the resonator piece to the front of the intake box also. remove all pieces. Use any type of conical filter (I used a cheap tenzo r intake filter bought from my local dealership for 12.74). You will also need to make a trip down to your local home depot or lowes (or any hardware store) to purchase a 3inch to 4inch hose clamp (the stock one would not stretch enough to go back on the intake tube). VOILA your done and the intake is as CLOSE TO OEM as can be, CHEAP yet EFFECTIVE! -- Good luck-- joe

Shit, now I'm kinda wishing I did that myself. Oh well, my Typhoon wasn't all that much and it fits great. Damn good work on your part, though!!

Or you can follow these instructions for just pulling out the airbox:
    http://www.knfilters.com/typhoon/69-1009.pdf

ssvr6
    I justified the money so I could get the CAI. I'm sure if I really wanted to I could have made one, but I'd rather drop the $ on it.

I could care less about the "bling" of it all. I wanted one that was flat black.

Steve

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information