Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Koni and Skunk2 Coilovers Install successful!

Well it took me about 15 freaking hours... There were multiple problems. First I used a hack saw on the first stock strut...that took forever!
    Then the skunk2 sleeves wouldn't go over the koni insert (not skunk2's fault, but koni's) So I had to go get a dremel to trim it down. I'm glad I got one! Came in handy a lot of other times.
    I had no problem cutting the stock strut right on. I actually had to cut a few times before I got it cut down far enough. I played it safe and did a little and then eyed how much more I needed.
    Then the axle came out and gave me a pain in the ass to get back in. I had it supported, but left it over night...I guess a troll came by and shoved it outta the way :D
    Then the second strut went by easy, I even used my dremel and about 4 cutting pieces :D
    The rears were the absolute worst to me. The bushings require drilling to open them up enough to fit over the koni. That took forever. I think maybe my drill bit is about toast from all the drilling.
    Then there were parts that koni provided that I didn't see necessary to use.
    Over all the ride is superb! I can't begin to explain. It's like I have a sports car now! It's tons better than my 97 Civic EX (it was maxed out suspension wise). I love the ride. I have the konis set kinda high, so I might lower the firmness some later on tomorrow.
    The skunk2 coilovers are great. No problems so far :D
    I just need to raise the rear a little more...I'm soooooo tired now I can't do shit, but drink beer now.
    Anyway, to end this long ass post :D I think koni should have provided the bushing necessary for the rear...I payed over 500 for the damn things....throw me a bone koni! Rediculous!
    Here's some pics
    I'll take more when its daylight out

in the pic above you can see how I need to raise the rear. The front is actually lower looking that, something about the pic makes it look higher than it is.
    I'm sport the sticker for now for kicks. I'll take it off later :D

Very cool!

A+ for completing this yourself:D

Originally posted by Suk02Si
    Very cool!

A+ for completing this yourself:D
    Yeah I saved myself money and the chance that a mechanic would have fudged this up bad. No one had any experience doing this in San Antonio. The one mechanic I was going to have do it acted like it was no big deal and that he could do it, but the price was high and I just couldn't trust him.

oh and something I found interesting. I didn't need an impact wrench at all. I just left the car on the ground and loosened the nut that goes on top of the shock, much easier. Also, I didn't need spring compressors that I received from autozone.

ephatch member
    great job! cant wait to see more pics, i like the low look:)

so how much did all of this cost you? konis and skunks?

Thumbs up

nice work

Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
    great job! cant wait to see more pics, i like the low look:)

so how much did all of this cost you? konis and skunks?
    the koni's cost me 531, the skunk2s cost 289 and the dremel cost 80, I needed a new drill, that cost me 27, the drill bit was about 5 bucks, I needed some more tools (wrenches, sockets) that cost about 30 bucks. So the total came to about 930 bucks....that about 600 less than it would cost for teins.

That sounds like a lot of time and work. :( I want konis so freaking bad, but not that bad. Does anyone know when the hell they are going to make these a direct bolt on with no modification?

Originally posted by 31102si
    That sounds like a lot of time and work. :( I want konis so freaking bad, but not that bad. Does anyone know when the hell they are going to make these a direct bolt on with no modification?
    koni says never for their products.

More pics :) I raised the rear a little bit, I need to raise it some more I think. I also decreased the tension on the shocks some. I'll being going back and forth for a while until I find the right setting for the street

One more

your car is so sexy.:D big thumbs up on getting the job done yourself. maybe a how-to in the future?;)

Thumbs up Right on !

congrats!! So how hard was it to modify the stock struts?

Originally posted by fishboy
    your car is so sexy.:D big thumbs up on getting the job done yourself. maybe a how-to in the future?;)
    thanks guys. It's not hard, it's just time consuming. THere's a how to on k-series.com: How to for Koni install
    It would have been faster if I had that air grinder...I guys it can hold a bigger cutter than the dremel I had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information