Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    OK, that excerpt from the manual is interesting --

So, no, don't hook the RCAs directly to the sub itself -- you'd use them for signal to an external amplifier.

But, you CAN flip that switch, and hook the sub to the head's speaker-level outputs.

One rule of thumb I've heard is to have at least twice as much power to each sub than to either of the main channels (for example, if your mains are getting 50W each, power the sub with at least 100W). Can you bridge the sub across both rear speaker channels of the head? Doing so would give just enough power to probably play the sub loud enough to balance with the front speakers. It won't go BOOM, but it might sound smooth.

I don't see that the rear speakers would get any power, which means that you'd end up with front speakers & the sub. I wouldn't mind that setup, because I could almost care less about rear speakers.

PAsi, I'm a Marine at 8th & I here in DC, with the drum & bugle corps. I recognized your sig line -- I see it every week in the summer at the Iwo memorial.

Green Lane, PA (home) / New Rochelle, NY (school)
    well holy shit. i really didn't mean for this to become some huge discussion. all i wanted was a simple yes or no. i dont usually trust directions but when people started getting all complicated that's all i had to go on. again, all i wanted was a simple yes or no, so i could use my sub before i get up enough $$ to get an auxiliary amp. damn, u guys overanalyze and get flustered over the littlest thing. i give up...

The answer to the original question -- whether you can use the RCA outputs to power the sub -- is an emphatic "no".

But, apparently, you can use the speaker-level outputs if you flip that switch, which I'm guessing is in the back of the head unit. So, with that method, it's a "yes".

So, yeah, try it out that way. Like I said, it won't be heard in the next zip code, but it might sound OK.

No, its not a switch. Its in the menu for the setup of the unit.

Ohhhh, ok, gotcha. I'm interested to see how well it works.

Green Lane, PA (home) / New Rochelle, NY (school)
    thanks for the decent answer. i'm just gonna wait for my freakin extra amp. all i want the amp for is to power the sub, the internal amp is enuf for the speakers. finally, a decent answer. i'll update you guys when i get an amp...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information